The Student Room Group

Ahhh my head is undecided about moving away or staying at home

I know this isn't the accomodation forum but I only have a few days to decide and the accom forum is dead. This is a more open question for discussion as well. I want you to picture you being me in my shoes and decide what you would do - would you live out or not?

- I live in London about 14-16 miles away from the University in central London I will attend - City University in Farringdon, central london.
- I'm 24
- The accomodation is 42 weeks x £195.60 per week = £8215.20!
- Because I went to Uni for 1 year when I was 19, it stipulates me getting ANY grant from the university which is rather annoying because I lose out on about £4,000 alltogether.
- However I do get the full non-repayable £3,345 or so grant from the government leaving me to fill 5k
- I WILL NOT be taking any student loan as I have savings close to £30,000 from working between ages of 20-24.
- I WANT to move out of the family home regardless, and therefore being in London I'd be looking at around £5,000 at least anyways, it's just whether it's worth paying another 3k on top.
- Halls is perfect location, 5 minutes from the uni and also in Farringdon which is a great place to live.
- Live with City students and therefore maximise opportunity to meet people and have a great first year.
- When out with friends I will always have to get the bus home at like 12/1 at the latest if I want to get home in time to get a reasonable sleep and wake up in time for lectures, or to wherever I live potentially.
- I'm 24, do I need to be in halls? I'm more grown up now and therefore won't be partying every single night. Makes me consider 8k cost.
- The university is quite international and is known not to have a thriving social scene and also because of the high costs I'm thinking that alot of Londoners will stay at home. So you could say live elsewhere but then I think I wouldn’t really enjoy living in a random house with random people when I know all the students live in halls together. Also any student buildings are very expensive in London, similarly to the City Uni halls.
- Will have to work 3 days at Uni to compensate for high rent whereas somewhere cheaper would let me work 2 days at work. I mean I could still get away with 2 days at work because of my savings but still.

I've spoken to some friends and people and a few were like 'why are you living out?' And then it hit me and I was like 'oh ****, maybe I shouldn't'. When you think about it it’s 17k for one year, which is crazy. But then you always hear of people saying 1st year is the best time to live in halls etc Then I think maybe I should live out 1st year and stay at home 2nd etc I can’t decide if this is too much of a luxury to be affording myself.

A few other points - I DON'T want to tap into my £30,000 savings at all. Of course in emergency it is there however. I plan to work 20 hours/3 days a week at my current workplace during Uni, which will bring in at least £800 per month. So with the £800 income plus the £3,354 grant, technically it can be paid for through that. Extras like food, transport, mobile phones bills do not worry me because my work pays for some of these things and I will be home alot to load up on food.

If thispost was describing your situation what would you do?
(edited 9 years ago)
I am not exactly in that situation, I am an au-pair with 23 years old and the house where I work and live is quite near the uni, so instead of moving out to halls loosing this job and need to find a new one, I will still be here, do very few hours of work during the week, still have some money in, and don't have to worry about loads of things =) I can still enjoy nights out and socialize without the expense of living in halls or in a student area =)
Reply 2
Well yes living locally helps you in your case but not in mine sadly.
I say commute and take the pressure of yourself knowing you have to find money to cover the extra costs.

edit: At least you can actually consider who you feel comfortable with to move in with them for your second year if you want to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow well first of all remember uni is very labour intensive if I were you I would drop your current job just befor you freshers week I know that sounds stupid to you but with studying assignments group work ect... Working three day a week will be hard especially when exams come around (you could work weekends but still that will be hard com exam time)you say that you will be 24 and probly not wan't to go out every night now that sounds like sens but what if your wrong I went to uni from age 20-24 in that time I went out EVERY night (almost). I would say defiantly move out you will have to live alone eventually and going in to halls is a great way to learn how to do that (avoid lamb mince and chicken tikka sauce) also you are closer to the uni so it's really covinent for you it is muche easer to make friends In halls and also it's convenient for nights out as you can share taxis and stuff. I know you don't want to dip in to your savings but this exeperiance really is worth the price. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending