The Student Room Group

A Levels for maths/economics degree

Hi (tl;dr at end)

I'm aware that similar questions have been asked and the general consensus (on tsr, from what I've read) is that for a maths degree the best subjects to do are maths, fm, physics and chem/economics. For an economics degree, I've gathered that maths, fm, economics and physics seem to be popular choices (so pretty much the same as a maths degree).

The problem is that I have absolutely no desire to do physics, I was considering it, but I realised that I have no interest in it. Also, I found one of the GCSE exams (p3) hard so that has put me off.

I was also considering german, but I really dislike aspects of the course. I think I'll only get an A at GCSE in german anyway which is a bit of a disappointment for me

So my other options are history, RS and chemistry.
History, I find interesting, but i am not great at it. Got an A* in the CA but I think I've got an A at best after the other papers.
RS, I like, very easy (at GCSE) but am worried it is a bit 'soft' and totally irrelevant
Chemistry, hated for years, suddenly became slightly interested whenrevising for GCSEs. Found the exams easy, hoping for an A minimum.

(btw at GCSE hoping for a handful of A*s, As and maybe a B or 2 (but hopefully not)

tl;dr : want to do a maths or economics degree. doing maths, fm and economics for sure at a level. not sure what 4th subject. not interested in physics or a language.

thanks
With maths, fm and economics, your 4th A-Level is unimportant. Take the one you enjoy most, which will probably also be the one you can get the best grade in (A-Levels require more self-study, so you need to be motivated).
You've done all you need to be honest. For your 4th I'd pick whatever you enjoy most, but Chemistry involves some Maths, which is useful for both, but obviously more useful for Maths, while History has ideas which may be useful for Economics.
Lots of useful advice about applying for Economics here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

Quick Reply

Latest