The Student Room Group

Dad keeps having a go at me for being nocturnal

My dad is seriously doing my head in since I been off on m summer break from uni. I've being staying with my mum since end of June until September, she is fine with me and lets me get on with my business, my dad comes over to visit now and again and every time he has a go at me.

I am quite nocturnal person so I usually sleep in the morning, spend my evenings watching movies and TV, I sit outside each day if its good weather. I go out with my friends on the weekend but they work weekdays. I don't work because of uni and I have money from my loan which is more than enough.

My dad has a go at me for sleeping all day and I'm not doing anything with my life. I've told him that I'm on a break for uni and I don't need a summer job because I don't need any money and it makes no difference what time I sleep.

I have same conversation every time, gotten to the point that I can't put with it anymore. I don't understand his problem, I'm only off for 2 months and a bit, annoying so much.
Reply 1
tell him to do one, i normally sleep at like 5-6am and my parents say its a calm ting init.
Original post by Anonymous
My dad is seriously doing my head in since I been off on m summer break from uni. I've being staying with my mum since end of June until September, she is fine with me and lets me get on with my business, my dad comes over to visit now and again and every time he has a go at me.

I am quite nocturnal person so I usually sleep in the morning, spend my evenings watching movies and TV, I sit outside each day if its good weather. I go out with my friends on the weekend but they work weekdays. I don't work because of uni and I have money from my loan which is more than enough.

My dad has a go at me for sleeping all day and I'm not doing anything with my life. I've told him that I'm on a break for uni and I don't need a summer job because I don't need any money and it makes no difference what time I sleep.

I have same conversation every time, gotten to the point that I can't put with it anymore. I don't understand his problem, I'm only off for 2 months and a bit, annoying so much.

know that feel bro. it's the same **** every year for me... come home from uni, constantly abused for not having a job, staying up all night wasting electricity etc. and told I won't be goin back to uni cos I have no money... I go back erytiem.
My mum really understands :/ maybe explain why you're so nocturnal and maybe try and set your sleeping pattern so you're not staying up/sleeping in as late you know meet him half way?
So just ignore him. Say nothing. Don't enter into the conversation.
Original post by theonelink
know that feel bro. it's the same **** every year for me... come home from uni, constantly abused for not having a job, staying up all night wasting electricity etc. and told I won't be goin back to uni cos I have no money... I go back erytiem.

You aren't, though. If you're using electricity at night, you're not using it in the day, because you're asleep. It works out the same.

I had the same problem with my parents when I was still at college/uni, but they got over it. They will eventually get bored of telling you not to stay up so late. Just ignore him. You can go to bed when you want to.
Dude go do something with your life. You will get enough rest when you are dead. On the holidays do something productive, either travel, hit the gym, work on projects/internships, or get a job. Why so lazy? Do you think it is normal for an animal to sleep in?
this is the very reason i wish i was a cat

My Dad used to do this as well. But I just pretend I'm asleep and just continue doing what I'm doing, watch TV with my headphones in etc.

If he goes on about getting a job, tell him you have your whole life to get a job, and being at uni, you don't have many summer holidays left, so you would appreciate it if you could enjoy your summer in peace. If your dad doesn't live with you, just stay up for the time that he is there.

urgghg...I'm so glad I moved out.
Reply 9
Original post by stargirl63
My Dad used to do this as well. But I just pretend I'm asleep and just continue doing what I'm doing, watch TV with my headphones in etc.

If he goes on about getting a job, tell him you have your whole life to get a job, and being at uni, you don't have many summer holidays left, so you would appreciate it if you could enjoy your summer in peace. If your dad doesn't live with you, just stay up for the time that he is there.

urgghg...I'm so glad I moved out.

He turns up randomly so I can't predict it, I said that this one of the last times I'll have off but he sees as me not doing anything.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I'm at uni he has no problem because I'm working and my course is busy because its a mixture of practical and theory work. The fact he expects me to work all the time annoys me as its like I'm not doing anything. I feel like I deserve this break but I don't want get a summer job just to suit him.
He turns up randomly so I can't predict it, I said that this one of the last times I'll have off but he sees as me not doing anything.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I'm at uni he has no problem because I'm working and my course is busy because its a mixture of practical and theory work. The fact he expects me to work all the time annoys me as its like I'm not doing anything. I feel like I deserve this break but I don't want get a summer job just to suit him.

you're prob just going to have to deal with it. Whenever I'm at uni my dad says he can't wait to see me, misses me etc. When I'm home it's get a job, can't wait 'til you go back. The only reason they want me to get a job is so i can pay them board.

It affected me in 1st and 2nd year... now I'm past it tbh Idgaf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending