The Student Room Group

Applying to university in America & Canada

The summer is essentially very boring. So, although being in Year 12 (September), I would like to just give a bit of thought to my university prospects.

I have done a lot of research but I have found it really hard to locate the correct and relevant information and I am put off of contacting admissions offices because a lot of them present very rude responses.

I was considering Harvard College because some family did attend there and it would be nice to try, even though I have no expectation of gaining entry, Princeton as it's good for my course, Stanford (same reason as Princeton), UCLA and Amherst. For Canada, I was looking at Toronto and McGill.

I would like to study History.

Money is an issue; my parents would be fine with British fees but the American fees are so extensive. What universities abroad offer decent financial aid packages for foreign students? Also, how does sitting the SAT and ACT work for British students?

Furthermore, I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a breakdown of the application process and when you should begin it.

Thank you so much in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JayJay-C19
The summer is essentially very boring. So, although being in Year 12 (September), I would like to just give a bit of thought to my university prospects.

I have done a lot of research but I have found it really hard to locate the correct and relevant information and I am put off of contacting admissions offices because a lot of them present very rude responses.

I was considering Harvard College because some family did attend there and it would be nice to try, even though I have no expectation of gaining entry, Princeton as it's good for my course, Stanford (same reason as Princeton), UCLA and Amherst. For Canada, I was looking at Toronto and McGill.

Money is an issue; my parents would be fine with British fees but the American fees are so extensive. What universities abroad offer decent financial aid packages for foreign students? Also, how does sitting the SAT and ACT work for British students?

Furthermore, I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a breakdown of the application process and when you should begin it.

That would help you, Harvard is known to favour relatives of previous students assuming they aren't too obscure. And http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-the-usa/undergraduate-study/admissions-tests/sat

should help with finding out where you can sit the SAT/ACT tests
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
That would help you, Harvard is known to favour relatives of previous students assuming they aren't too obscure. And http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-the-usa/undergraduate-study/admissions-tests/sat

should help with finding out where you can sit the SAT/ACT tests

Thanks. I'm just not sure about when I should be sitting it and how to prepare and stuff or even whether I should...
Thanks. I'm just not sure about when I should be sitting it and how to prepare and stuff or even whether I should...

Spring of year 12- it says on there. I would guess you need to, see if you can get hold of past papers.
Reply 4
Spring of year 12- it says on there. I would guess you need to, see if you can get hold of past papers.

Indeed. I wondered if it could be done earlier because I don't want the tests for colleges I probably won't get into (note: probably) to compromise my A-Levels

Why does everyone think Harvard is where they need to go? There are plenty of other fantastic universities and colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
Why does everyone think Harvard is where they need to go? There are plenty of other fantastic universities and colleges. Posted from TSR Mobile

Presumably for the same reason why most Americans can only name one British university - Oxford.

Harvard has built a brand around being the best, it doesn't actually matter if it's true or not. People remember that in films and TV shows 'Harvard' is always where the poor, working-class but brilliant student ends up going or where the esteemed professor teaches, so is it any wonder that so many people apply there?
May I ask do you have to be in year 12, can't you sit the test when you're 15-16 or 19 for example?

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find many financial aids available for foreign students. Definitely not government ones. Maybe some private ones, but there aren't that many of those at undergrad level.

It's going to be expensive, just like how UK universities are expensive for foreign students, too (I'll be paying £24,000 for a year in the UK... if that makes you feel better).

If money is an issue, and you know you'll be going to post-grad, it may be a better idea to do UG in the UK, and PG abroad.
Reply 9
Original post by Coffeetime
Why does everyone think Harvard is where they need to go? There are plenty of other fantastic universities and colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry? I'll apply where I like, thanks. Can you not read? I named Harvard amongst others and I have family there so.
Reply 10
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Unfortunately I don't think you'll find many financial aids available for foreign students. Definitely not government ones. Maybe some private ones, but there aren't that many of those at undergrad level.

It's going to be expensive, just like how UK universities are expensive for foreign students, too (I'll be paying £24,000 for a year in the UK... if that makes you feel better).

If money is an issue, and you know you'll be going to post-grad, it may be a better idea to do UG in the UK, and PG abroad.

I thought about that too; I may just do a postgraduate in Law.
Reply 11
Original post by Samual
Presumably for the same reason why most Americans can only name one British university - Oxford.

Harvard has built a brand around being the best, it doesn't actually matter if it's true or not. People remember that in films and TV shows 'Harvard' is always where the poor, working-class but brilliant student ends up going or where the esteemed professor teaches, so is it any wonder that so many people apply there?

I'm only interested because family attend and it's good for what I want to do...
Reply 12
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
May I ask do you have to be in year 12, can't you sit the test when you're 15-16 or 19 for example?

You can, many do :smile: x
You can, many do :smile: x

Cool xD

Out of interest do US unis look at when you take the exams, how many retakes etc.

Or is it only focused on sat scores and highest marks achieved?
Reply 14
Cool xD

Out of interest do US unis look at when you take the exams, how many retakes etc.

Or is it only focused on sat scores and highest marks achieved?

From personal experience. US universities consider everything more than UK ones; they will look at all of them things but they place huge emphasis on achievements and extracurricular interests.

However, like OXBRIDGE applicants and their A-Levels, below a certain score on SAT/ACT would probably be dismissed quite quickly.

However, I think to say its the only factor is unfair.
Reply 15
Original post by ihavemooedtoday

My parents can pay around £20-£30, 000 though so I wouldnt need an amazing aid package.
From personal experience. US universities consider everything more than UK ones; they will look at all of them things but they place huge emphasis on achievements and extracurricular interests.

However, like OXBRIDGE applicants and their A-Levels, below a certain score on SAT/ACT would probably be dismissed quite quickly.

However, I think to say its the only factor is unfair.

My friend is looking at Harvard and Yale and he got 800's in SAT2 4 times, 2400 SAT but he messed up his A Levels and is taking them over 3 years - despite his A Levels and if he got them Ivy league worthy per se - would he stand a shot or not.

I would love to go to Princeton or Stanford - currently studying for SAT2's in October, have you taken them yet :smile:
Reply 17
My friend is looking at Harvard and Yale and he got 800's in SAT2 4 times, 2400 SAT but he messed up his A Levels and is taking them over 3 years - despite his A Levels and if he got them Ivy league worthy per se - would he stand a shot or not.

I would love to go to Princeton or Stanford - currently studying for SAT2's in October, have you taken them yet :smile:

i would say he does!

I want to take the ACT and SAT 2's. Seriously, can you help me? I don't get how to prepare or anything they're so different and when to do it and sign-up and whatever. All of that stuff.
i would say he does!

I want to take the ACT and SAT 2's. Seriously, can you help me? I don't get how to prepare or anything they're so different and when to do it and sign-up and whatever. All of that stuff.

Can I pm you, we can talk about this there :smile:
Reply 19
Can I pm you, we can talk about this there :smile:

You most certainly can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending