The Student Room Group

Where to do my A-levels?

I'm currently about to go into my final year of GCSEs and I'm trying to decide now what to do about my A-level choices. I really want to do Photography at University and the majority of University's I've looked at already have said something along the lines of "having studied an Art based subject at A-level, preferably Photography" to get in. I also know that my acceptance into a Photography Uni course would be based more on my portfolio anyway. My problem is that my current school where I'm doing my GCSEs don't do a Photography A-level but they do Art. Another school that I really like the look of does do a Photography course at A-level. This school is further away and it would be difficult because my younger sister would still be going to my current school. Also, it's apparently a very hard school to get into so I'm not sure if I'd even get in. There is another school where I could go to and do Photography or I could look into college. My point is, should I stay where I am and just do Art or should I attempt to go somewhere else and do Photography? Is it 100% necessary that I do a Photography course at A-level, or should I pick the easier option?
Could you do Photography at a local college in the evenings? So stay at your current school and do this as an extra A level or BTEC course?

Have you spoken to the staff at your current school about how flexible the Art syllabus is? Can you do Photography as part of this A level? Or, is there any way you could do the Photography at the other school whilst still a student at your current school?

Btw, there are many more entry routes to a Photography career than just a degree (which is essentially an academic qualification not primarily a practical one). There are professional orientated courses like BTEC, City & Guilds and HNC/HND which you might find more appropriate/cheaper/more useful. Have a look here for examples : http://www.warwickshire.ac.uk/courses/search_results_hide_from_searc.aspx?k=photography
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Could you do Photography at a local college in the evenings? So stay at your current school and do this as an extra A level or BTEC course?

Have you spoken to the staff at your current school about how flexible the Art syllabus is? Can you do Photography as part of this A level? Or, is there any way you could do the Photography at the other school whilst still a student at your current school?

Btw, there are many more entry routes to a Photography career than just a degree (which is essentially an academic qualification not primarily a practical one). There are professional orientated courses like BTEC, City & Guilds and HNC/HND which you might find more appropriate/cheaper/more useful. Have a look here for examples : http://www.warwickshire.ac.uk/courses/search_results_hide_from_searc.aspx?k=photography

This is really helpful, thank you! I haven't looked into many colleges or night courses but I definitely can! I know that at my school they do an extra graphics GCSE after school because not many people wanted to do it so it couldn't happen during school hours so I'll ask about the possibility of doing something like that. If there is a strong photography element in A-level art then I could stay, I will definitely ask my teachers about the flexibility of the the fine art A-level. I already have a couple of Uni courses in mind, but it could always change nothing is dead set right now. Thank you for the advice!

- Milly

Quick Reply

Latest