The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

reading list

Im starting at aston university i this year and I was hoping to start looking at some material that might be on the reading or general usefull reads for firat year of psychology at aston. Anyone have any advice? :smile: x
Reply 1
Look this is getting desperate. Psychology is easy enough.

Enjoy your holiday and be ready to be this keen as mustard for your assignments.

There are lots of thick losers and dweebs on degree courses. It is easy enough to thrash them by applying effort in the right places at the right time. That time isn't now.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by sophiechill
Im starting at aston university i this year and I was hoping to start looking at some material that might be on the reading or general usefull reads for firat year of psychology at aston. Anyone have any advice? :smile: x

What made you decide that you want to go there? I want to study psychology and English in September 2015 at Aston but I feel that there aren't many recent/updated reviews on the uni so now I'm really not sure if I should make it my 1st choice of unis to go to

Posted from TSR Mobile
To echo what others have said in this thread, you should relax and enjoy your holiday, you've already worked hard enough to get into Aston, however after graduating with half of my degree in psychology, i can point you in the right direction.

Definitely delve into your research methods, if you've done psychology at a level you know how much of a pain these are, delve into the nuances between surveys, interviews and observations, the scientific method and maybe some SSPS tutorials if you're feeling ambitious, Stats either seems to make or break students.

As for the more fun stuff, psychology and the brain may look at case studies such as Phineas Gauge, retro and anterograde amnesia and having a brief look at perceptual systems of sight and sound.

Developmental psychology should cover A Level stuff pretty accurately, John Bowlby, Ginny and the Koluchava twins along with deprivation and attachment periods.

Finally one of my favourite modules Social Psychology, should still be being taught by Dan Sheppard, he teaches some really interesting modules on crowd behaviour and you have your famous Stanley Milgram and Asch experiments testing obedience and conformity,

However i would relax, you're given a wide birth in first year, you only need 40% to pass and non of it counts towards your final degree grade, so make sure to balance the books with societies, friends and exploring the city of Birmingham.

Good Luck :smile:

Josh

Quick Reply

Latest