The Student Room Group

English Reading List Oxford

Hi everyone. Obviously the summer holidays are upon us and we have been sent a rather long reading list to prepare for October.

For anyone who has done their first year, or has any insight into this, do they really expect us to read it all before October?
Not sure how the other professors have laid it out but mine told us we should prioritise Henry James, George Elliot and a few others
But even taking only those two and not focusing on any other of the 20 authors that they've put on that list, he told us we have to read 3 books from each
Now these books are 600 pages minimum... Are we seriously expecting us to get through all of this in the summer holidays or is it not necessary?
I'll try as hard as I can! But can almost guarantee I won't be able to finish it all

What do you think?
Original post by ghfkjdfh
Hi everyone. Obviously the summer holidays are upon us and we have been sent a rather long reading list to prepare for October.

For anyone who has done their first year, or has any insight into this, do they really expect us to read it all before October?
Not sure how the other professors have laid it out but mine told us we should prioritise Henry James, George Elliot and a few others
But even taking only those two and not focusing on any other of the 20 authors that they've put on that list, he told us we have to read 3 books from each
Now these books are 600 pages minimum... Are we seriously expecting us to get through all of this in the summer holidays or is it not necessary?
I'll try as hard as I can! But can almost guarantee I won't be able to finish it all

What do you think?

I'm not an English student but have friends who are. Yes you should aim to read the books on the reading list. I believe learning to speed read really helps as my friends are reading one book per week during term time.
Reply 2
Original post by ghfkjdfh

What do you think?

You have roughly 14 weeks so at a rate of 100 pages / day ( easily done) you should be able to read at least 14 titles if not more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending