The Student Room Group

Most disappointing tourist attraction?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Our only hope is that so many people get to hear how crap it is that eventually it collapses due to bankruptcy and then the area can be returned to the wild and beautiful place it doubtless once was before commercial interests were allowed to ruin it.

Yeah. I felt a slightly similar way when I went to Loch Ness. While the place is still very beautiful, it's a bit depressing knowing that most of the tourists aren't there for the scenery or anything else worth seeing or doing, but rather for the Loch Ness Monster. The gift shop in the Loch Ness Exhibition Centre was just full of this horrible tat, like stuffed LNM toys and T-shirts with the LNM on :rolleyes:
Original post by scjman
Yeah. I felt a slightly similar way when I went to Loch Ness. While the place is still very beautiful, it's a bit depressing knowing that most of the tourists aren't there for the scenery or anything else worth seeing or doing, but rather for the Loch Ness Monster. The gift shop in the Loch Ness Exhibition Centre was just full of this horrible tat, like stuffed LNM toys and T-shirts with the LNM on :rolleyes:

The road at the 'back' (eg, on the eastern shore) of Loch Ness is beautiful, unspoiled and offers constant breathtaking views, plus detours up into the mountains to see some stunning waterfalls.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The road at the 'back' (eg, on the eastern shore) of Loch Ness is beautiful, unspoiled and offers constant breathtaking views, plus detours up into the mountains to see some stunning waterfalls.

The day before going into Drumnadrochit, me and my dad went to a village called Fort Augustus to get fish and chips. We sat by the lock and we could see out over Loch Ness. It was brilliant
Original post by tengentoppa
Philistine.

Y'think?

I'm not the one throwing insults and judgements because someone else found a city to be a disappointing tourist attraction.
Original post by PQ
Y'think?

I'm not the one throwing insults and judgements because someone else found a city to be a disappointing tourist attraction.

It was meant as a more light-hearted comment than I think it came across. Apologies if you took offence.
Original post by tengentoppa
It was meant as a more light-hearted comment than I think it came across. Apologies if you took offence.

no problems :smile:
Never understood why Dublin gets raved about. Can't think of anything to recommend someone to go there. Seems to be pricey, touristy and a busy grim place. I wouldn't base a view of Ireland on it's capital because rural parts of Ireland are beautiful (county Kerry, west cork, Donegal etc). I liked Belfast - it's undervalued as a destination - it may not be a Florence, but has recent history like no other city in Europe, this makes it really intriguing. Also was impressed by the view from cave hill overlooking the whole city and as far as the highlands. Also not expensive like the republic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamintorture
For me it was Manchester City. People seem to love it but I found it ugly and unfriendly too.

Manchester is the most overrated city in the UK after London. Go to Liverpool instead. Much more things to do and the city has much more history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The little mermaid statue in Denmark.
It's so small and you can't take a good picture because it's awkwardly placed in the middle of the water. Idk, I expected it to be huge.

looks better on the postcards that they sell of it lol
The Sistene chapel was definitely the worst. There was a (reasonably) orderly and (very) long queue to get in, with at least 50 signs along the way in as many languages saying 'DO NOT TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS, it will PERMANENTLY DAMAGE the ceiling'. Then when we got in, it can only be described as pandemonium: the three guards had arrayed themselves into a line and were getting ready to charge a group of gigantic rowdy Americans, everyone was shouting as loudly as possible in their native language, trying to drown out everyone else's language (it was a close call between the Chinese and the Americans as to who was winning) and everyone, and I mean literally EVERYONE (including me, since I figured a drop in the ocean wouldn't make much difference) was flashing their cameras at the ceiling as if they had a personal vendetta against epileptic people, waving them around, and getting in the way of everyone else who was coming into the microscopic-sized room, meanwhile blocking the exit out.

And all of that to see a picture I've seen a million times in other places.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 190
Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin sucks massively. It's just a sign (not the original) and some Germans dressed up as American soldiers (lol) trying to get you to pay like 5 euro for a photo.

The rest of Berlin, however, it magnificent. Definitely one of, if not the, best cities in Europe.
Original post by Copperknickers
The Sistene chapel was definitely the worst. There was a (reasonably) orderly and (very) long queue to get in, with at least 50 signs along the way in as many languages saying 'DO NOT TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS, it will PERMANENTLY DAMAGE the ceiling'. Then when we got in, it can only be described as pandemonium: the three guards had arrayed themselves into a line and were getting ready to charge a group of gigantic rowdy Americans, everyone was shouting as loudly as possible in their native language, trying to drown out everyone else's language (it was a close call between the Chinese and the Americans as to who was winning) and everyone, and I mean literally EVERYONE (including me, since I figured a drop in the ocean wouldn't make much difference) was flashing their cameras at the ceiling as if they had a personal vendetta against epileptic people, waving them around, and getting in the way of everyone else who was coming into the microscopic-sized room, meanwhile blocking the exit out.

And all of that to see a picture I've seen a million times in other places.

really? :frown: I'm going there in October but with a tour guide. Did you just go on your own?
Original post by Larissa14
really? :frown: I'm going there in October but with a tour guide. Did you just go on your own?

When I went there it was just a case of walking through. I don't know how a tour guide would have functioned unless it was outside the hours where they let people in freely (or maybe they've changed it now, it was a while ago since I was there).
London transport museum my dad made us look for ages at the different types of buses... He is a professor of transport though!
We went to lightwater valley with high school and everyone was expecting it to be as good as flamingo land or Alton towers... It was not!
When I went there it was just a case of walking through. I don't know how a tour guide would have functioned unless it was outside the hours where they let people in freely (or maybe they've changed it now, it was a while ago since I was there).

Hopefully it is better now, was the rest of the country nice or just filled with tourists
Original post by Hannahmay01
We went to lightwater valley with high school and everyone was expecting it to be as good as flamingo land or Alton towers... It was not!

I went to,light water valley in June this year and I really enjoyed it even though it wasn't really thrill seeking. When I went the park was so quite and there was only like 3 school trips and lots of toddlers so it was great not having torque for the rides ! I don't think I would of liked it if I had to que for the rides though but it was quite green I thought for a theme park and peaceful but I don't think it would be like this during the peak,season lol
Hopefully it is better now, was the rest of the country nice or just filled with tourists

The rest of Rome and Italy in general is absolutely amazing. Its the same with all attractions in Europe, that the most popular ones are hugely crowded, but the Sistene chapel is just so small and poorly managed it just seems worse.

Just be careful of the crime, not just pickpocketing but robbery of items you leave in cars and hotel rooms.
I went to,light water valley in June this year and I really enjoyed it even though it wasn't really thrill seeking. When I went the park was so quite and there was only like 3 school trips and lots of toddlers so it was great not having torque for the rides ! I don't think I would of liked it if I had to que for the rides though but it was quite green I thought for a theme park and peaceful but I don't think it would be like this during the peak,season lol

It wasn't bad it just wasn't flamingo land. Also we broke down in raptor attack in the dark which was an odd experience!
The rest of Rome and Italy in general is absolutely amazing. Its the same with all attractions in Europe, that the most popular ones are hugely crowded, but the Sistene chapel is just so small and poorly managed it just seems worse.

Just be careful of the crime, not just pickpocketing but robbery of items you leave in cars and hotel rooms.

I'm going on a cruise which is properly for the best haha. I hope it's better managed now because the tour is expensive so I don't want to be disappointed :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest