The Student Room Group

Places to work at as a 17 year old?

I’m looking for my first part time job in London, can anyone please list places they recommend that accept 17 year olds with no experience? ( WITH A HUMANE PAY) 😭 I’m baffled that all my friends my age have jobs but no one is accepting me because I have no experience!
Original post by opaque21
I’m looking for my first part time job in London, can anyone please list places they recommend that accept 17 year olds with no experience? ( WITH A HUMANE PAY) 😭 I’m baffled that all my friends my age have jobs but no one is accepting me because I have no experience!

I'd be happy to help you! Here are some places that might be willing to hire 17-year-olds with no experience in London:

1.Supermarkets and grocery stores: Stores like Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Asda, and Waitrose often hire young people for part-time roles, such as cashier or shelf-stocker.

2.Fast food restaurants: Many fast food chains, like McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, and Subway, are always looking for part-time staff to work in their stores.

3.Coffee shops and cafes: Places like Costa Coffee, Starbucks, and Pret a Manger are popular choices for young people seeking part-time work.

4.Retail stores: Popular high street stores like H&M, Primark, Topshop, and Zara may be willing to hire 17-year-olds with no experience for part-time roles.

5.theaters: Cinemas such as Odeon, Vue, and Cineworld often hire young people to work as ticket takers, concession stand attendants, or ushers.

6.Museums and attractions: Many museums and tourist attractions hire part-time staff to work in customer service and other roles.

7.Delivery and courier services: Companies like Deliveroo, Uber Eats, and Amazon often have part-time delivery jobs available.

It's important to keep in mind that pay rates can vary depending on the company, role, and location. However, most companies are required by law to pay the National Minimum Wage, which is currently £4.62 for under 18s. (Not good pay, but its still something. :rolleyes:)
Reply 2
Original post by Frashostra.
I'd be happy to help you! Here are some places that might be willing to hire 17-year-olds with no experience in London:

1.Supermarkets and grocery stores: Stores like Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Asda, and Waitrose often hire young people for part-time roles, such as cashier or shelf-stocker.

2.Fast food restaurants: Many fast food chains, like McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, and Subway, are always looking for part-time staff to work in their stores.

3.Coffee shops and cafes: Places like Costa Coffee, Starbucks, and Pret a Manger are popular choices for young people seeking part-time work.

4.Retail stores: Popular high street stores like H&M, Primark, Topshop, and Zara may be willing to hire 17-year-olds with no experience for part-time roles.

5.theaters: Cinemas such as Odeon, Vue, and Cineworld often hire young people to work as ticket takers, concession stand attendants, or ushers.

6.Museums and attractions: Many museums and tourist attractions hire part-time staff to work in customer service and other roles.

7.Delivery and courier services: Companies like Deliveroo, Uber Eats, and Amazon often have part-time delivery jobs available.

It's important to keep in mind that pay rates can vary depending on the company, role, and location. However, most companies are required by law to pay the National Minimum Wage, which is currently £4.62 for under 18s. (Not good pay, but its still something. :rolleyes:)

Thank you so much! I’ve tried for so many months, but big grocery stores like Tesco and Asda say they want over 18s to apply for certain jobs? How do you recommend I apply for any of these jobs: indeed is very useless( been rejected so many times), JobToday seems to always reject me due to lack of experience, so should I email them directly?

Specifically the big brands mentioned: Costa, Starbucks, Asda, Tesco, Subway, Odeon and Cineworld: is there a specific way I can apply?

Like has already been said- most shops, supermarkets, fast food places, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, local attractions, museums, theme parks, touristy type places etc etc take on people from 16.
It can take a while to get something though, but hang on in there, you will get something eventually.

I want to work..
Same 😭
1. Search online for Level 2 Food Hygiene certificate. All web-based and costs about £20. Pass the test (it is easy. You won't fail. If you do, you keep taking it for free until you don't)
2. Print off the Certificate.
3. You now have something that makes you stand out and which is valuable to somewhere with a public coffee shop/snack bar/restaurant etc. So update your CV. and try approaching places that need someone who has already showed initiative.
4. You don't have to stay there forever - you'll probably get a payrise at 18 and you'll be getting experience which you can use to get the next job.

I was in a similar situation! I applied on GiGL as there were loads of jobs for 16+ that didn't require experience. I'm currently earning above living wage!
Reply 8
I'm also looking for a job,same age...17,I don't know why no one wants to hire a 17 year old, especially without experience 😢
Reply 9
Original post by Samlizzy
I'm also looking for a job,same age...17,I don't know why no one wants to hire a 17 year old, especially without experience 😢
its mostly because the job market is kind of messed up now and youre competing with people who have years of experience over you, youre best bets are to take up a voluntary job and keep at it until somewhere takes you in or do what everyone else does and get a family member or friend to just get you into the job because knowing someone who can get you in is 50x more valuable then anything else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending