The Student Room Group

German & Russian for LVMH

Hi i´m a student from Germany (born british), still doing A-Levels (Abitur) and am new to the forum and have some questions:

1. I want to get into the LVMH Group after studying and after the MML in german and russian will I be able to do a postgrad scheme in business?

2. As I am already fluent in german this will probably get me a better degree, right?

3. Should I get some russian basics done before studying?

4. My uni´s of choice are: Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Surrey and possibly Bath - good choice?
You can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge, you will have to decide between them. Lots of language graduates go into business, that shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I think it would be a complete waste of time studying German at a British university if you're fluent already. Is getting top grades your only motive? Be advised, many admission tutors will not be impressed that you're applying to study a language you already know and they will assume your reason is you want an easy degree. Do you have any other reasons for wanting to do German? Are you interested in the literature at all?

As for whether it will get you a better degree... that depends on the university you go to and which modules you take. Spoken language is only one part of a modern languages degree, you will have to study German literature and probably history, linguistics and politics as well - being fluent in German doesn't necessarily mean you will excel in these areas.
Reply 2
I'm not sure you can actually study a native language as a foreign language at university.
Reply 3
Original post by Samual
You can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge, you will have to decide between them. Lots of language graduates go into business, that shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I think it would be a complete waste of time studying German at a British university if you're fluent already. Is getting top grades your only motive? Be advised, many admission tutors will not be impressed that you're applying to study a language you already know and they will assume your reason is you want an easy degree. Do you have any other reasons for wanting to do German? Are you interested in the literature at all?

As for whether it will get you a better degree... that depends on the university you go to and which modules you take. Spoken language is only one part of a modern languages degree, you will have to study German literature and probably history, linguistics and politics as well - being fluent in German doesn't necessarily mean you will excel in these areas.

Well another combination I was thinking about was Spanish and Russian.
I guess you're right in saying that they will not be to impressed if you want to study a language in which you are already fluent but I'm very into poetry (my own and German and English) hence I would not exterminate the idea of German.
German just came into question because if you apply for Cambridge you have to write part of the test in the language you want to study and I only speak German, English and Italian!
What would you advise?
I personally really want to study languages so that after a business postgrad study I can get into the luxury goods branch.
Original post by coolio16
Well another combination I was thinking about was Spanish and Russian.
I guess you're right in saying that they will not be to impressed if you want to study a language in which you are already fluent but I'm very into poetry (my own and German and English) hence I would not exterminate the idea of German.
German just came into question because if you apply for Cambridge you have to write part of the test in the language you want to study and I only speak German, English and Italian!
What would you advise?
I personally really want to study languages so that after a business postgrad study I can get into the luxury goods branch.

Not sure about the Cambridge interview, I think you should contact an admissions tutor about that - speaking to them before you apply is the most sensible thing you can do. Certainly at Oxbridge you can study your native language because the degree is mostly literature anyway (and you say that interests you), although I still think you'd be missing a good opportunity to learn a new language. However other universities which don't do as much lit will probably be wary of accepting you.

It might be a good idea to post in the Oxford and Cambridge forums as well. People there will be better able to advise you.
(edited 9 years ago)
French is always extremely useful in LVMH.
Reply 6
Original post by Samual
Not sure about the Cambridge interview, I think you should contact an admissions tutor about that - speaking to them before you apply is the most sensible thing you can do. Certainly at Oxbridge you can study your native language because the degree is mostly literature anyway (and you say that interests you), although I still think you'd be missing a good opportunity to learn a new language. However other universities which don't do as much lit will probably be wary of accepting you.

It might be a good idea to post in the Oxford and Cambridge forums as well. People there will be better able to advise you.

My expected A-Level results will be ABB if not ABC...
I am wondering if i stand a chance? I have done lots of extracurricular things such to get into the luxury business but i really want to study and study in England. Are there any other good language courses in the UK?
Reply 7
Original post by Old_Simon
French is always extremely useful in LVMH.

I don´t have french in my A-Levels and i doubt there is a french abinitio course..
I don´t have french in my A-Levels and i doubt there is a french abinitio course..

Well that will seriously limit your career opportunities with them.
Reply 9
Well that will seriously limit your career opportunities with them.

Ok. Well i´ve been doing and will carry on doing a lot of work experiences in that field so maybe will a a* CV they´ll think about it.
Ok. Well i´ve been doing and will carry on doing a lot of work experiences in that field so maybe will a a* CV they´ll think about it.

A CV without French can not be A*. I know the company quite well.
Reply 11

One can still acquire some french outside of school and uni or am i wrong?
One can still acquire some french outside of school and uni or am i wrong?

Of course. Get on it !
Reply 13

So how well do you know LVMH?
So how well do you know LVMH?

My wife was quite a senior exec there for years.
My expected A-Level results will be ABB if not ABC...
I am wondering if i stand a chance? I have done lots of extracurricular things such to get into the luxury business but i really want to study and study in England. Are there any other good language courses in the UK?

I'm confused, you said you're doing A levels and the Abitur, which is it? If you are doing A levels and you're predicted ABB then there's no point applying to Oxford or Cambridge. Your extracurriculars are irrelevant, they wont make up for not having the right grades. There are some universities which do beginners French (mostly in Scotland).
Reply 16
No I'm doing abitur I'm just saying that my abitur will be a 1,8 at the best... I think Oxbridge wants 1,5 or better.
Which unis in France e.g.?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending