The Student Room Group

Smith's machine

I've got a few questions about the Smith's machines. I know they restrict your movement and so can reduce your form, however a friend told me that they also "help" you with your weight. IE that because the weight is being suspended, the cables take some of the weight and so really you're lifting less than you would free-weight. Is this true?

Also, at the gym I'm currently going to there is only a Smith's machine. IE there is no squat/bench rack as it is a small gym. How will this affect how much I can lift + how much will it affect my form?

Thanks.
Original post by tomtjl
I've got a few questions about the Smith's machines. I know they restrict your movement and so can reduce your form, however a friend told me that they also "help" you with your weight. IE that because the weight is being suspended, the cables take some of the weight and so really you're lifting less than you would free-weight. Is this true?

Also, at the gym I'm currently going to there is only a Smith's machine. IE there is no squat/bench rack as it is a small gym. How will this affect how much I can lift + how much will it affect my form?

Thanks.

oh lawd, i'd switch gyms
Find another gym.
Reply 3
They force the bar to follow a fixed path which increases chance of injury. As said above, find a new gym.
Reply 4
That's a pretty **** gym then, unless you're paying them peanuts to use it, I'd find a new one. Mine only has one squat rack and one smiths machine and I find this pretty inadequate (especially when it gets so busy)
I also say move gyms. Personally, I avoid smiths like the plague.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The bar weighs less, fractionally so but yes you lift less.
Also, as said it makes you follow a forced path, increasing the risk of injury.

>move gyms
Reply 7
It looks like a bit of a death trap tbh.
Reply 8
Is it really that bad? The gym is usually empty so I have little/no waiting times, plus it's 2 minutes from my house. It's not the best gym in the world, but thankfully it's only temporary until I go back to uni.
I know two guys ( one natural one assisted) who are both very experienced and competitive bodybuilders.

They both squat in the smith machine and sport very impressive wheels. It's because of the control it offers without a spot; very slow negatives, very deep with pausing at the bottom. If they fail the bar is simply locked back in.

I personally wouldn't do it but that's not to say results can't be made from the smith machine.

You can really smash bench to failure and beyond on there without a spot.

The only exercise I use the smith machine for is rack chins Lol. Perfectly suited for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Risk of injury on some movements as people have said, but otherwise they really aren't that bad. This obsession with free weights and "herp derp stabiliser muscles" is silly at best

Still though, change gyms lel
Although I don't buy into the smith machine hate, I did find that squatting reasonably heavy 3x a week on it for 5x5 started to give me kneecap pain after a few months. Since stopping I have had no pain.

It's not ideal but it's not as bad as some people will make you believe.

However you can still train the important muscles without using it, mainly by using DBs. This has the added bonus that DB movements tend to allow greater rom and are better for hypertrophy. DB bench (incline makes this harder and hits upper chest more). DB bulgarian split squats are excellent squat alternatives (only problem could be how high your DBs go).
Reply 12
[video="youtube;IHBLxCPmnVc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBLxCPmnVc[/video]
A gym without at least the equipment to do basic compound lifts, i.e. squat, bench, deadlift and overhead press isn't worth going to imo. Unless all you care about is cardio then find another gym. As for the smith machine, it's only good for accessory exercise if you're a bodybuilder or in rehab.
Original post by tomtjl
Is it really that bad? The gym is usually empty so I have little/no waiting times, plus it's 2 minutes from my house. It's not the best gym in the world, but thankfully it's only temporary until I go back to uni.

When I started lifting I used the smith machine for incline bench press and I must admit it did help me target the upper chest more and helped me make some huge muscle gains so it's not that bad.

Quick Reply

Latest