The Student Room Group

Do I need to be supervised to use a squat rack?

I'm 16, female, and 5''6. I see boys about my age all the time using the squat rack on their own, though its mostly middle aged men using the 2 that are at my gym.

Today, some random old dude (looked like he was in his 60s) got off his treadmill and came up to me to say he's not sure I should be squatting weights unsupervised. I usually use the Smith machine and lift double the amount, and when he came up to me I was only doing 10kg so I was a bit confused what the fuss was about. I had proper form, wasn't doing many reps as I was just working on form, and wasn't struggling whatsoever. I don't look particularly young either, so I'm confused as to why I was told this?

Any comments would be appreciated - imo his tone was a touch patronising and it might've been sexism because well you never see girls on the squat rack but hey
Original post by elemenohpee
I'm 16, female, and 5''6. I see boys about my age all the time using the squat rack on their own, though its mostly middle aged men using the 2 that are at my gym.

Today, some random old dude (looked like he was in his 60s) got off his treadmill and came up to me to say he's not sure I should be squatting weights unsupervised. I usually use the Smith machine and lift double the amount, and when he came up to me I was only doing 10kg so I was a bit confused what the fuss was about. I had proper form, wasn't doing many reps as I was just working on form, and wasn't struggling whatsoever. I don't look particularly young either, so I'm confused as to why I was told this?

Any comments would be appreciated - imo his tone was a touch patronising and it might've been sexism because well you never see girls on the squat rack but hey

Ignore him (though be polite in person obviously). There is no reason for you to require supervision unless it's gym policy (and if it is, then move gyms, because you shouldn't need supervision to use the squat rack).
Reply 2

What does your gym say?

If you are a beginner, it is for your safety to be supervised so you get your approach, weight class and number of reps on point. It is very easy to get an injury at the gym.

At my gym, there are young people who use it unsupervised but most have received the introductory training.

Good luck

I think it's alright to ignore him and keep doing what you're doing - or perhaps he was just worried that you'd "hurt yourself" due to a sexist or non-sexist view. Besides, you could always tell him you know what you're doing.
I hope you have a nice time during the gym!
Original post by jelllyfiiish
I think it's alright to ignore him and keep doing what you're doing - or perhaps he was just worried that you'd "hurt yourself" due to a sexist or non-sexist view. Besides, you could always tell him you know what you're doing.
I hope you have a nice time during the gym!
This is not a fair response. It is very easy to get hurt in the gym. She is young and probably new to the gym, so it is wise to encourage her to do the right thing.

Not everything is done because of sexism. If she gets hurt, you wont be there to support her.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
This is not a fair response. It is very easy to get hurt in the gym. She is young and probably new to the gym, so it is wise to encourage her to do the right thing.

Not everything is done because of sexism. If she gets hurt, you wont be there to support her.

It is a fair response.

As anyone who goes to a gym on a regular basis knows, it is basic gym etiquette is to not offer unsolicited advice. Unfortunately some people, typically men, seem to forget this and feel compelled to offer their "expertise" to those who don't want it.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Gazpacho.
It is a fair response.

As anyone who goes to a gym on a regular basis knows, it is basic gym etiquette is to not offer unsolicited advice. Unfortunately some people, typically men, seem to forget this and feel compelled to offer their "expertise" to those who don't want it.
This is simply not true. I have been going to the gym for years and it is fine to offer advice esp with people who are perceived to be novices.

If you have seen the type of injuries that I have seen at many gyms that I have trained at, you would probably have a different view. Many of those injuries have been borne by newbies esp the old lady who apparently twisted her spine when she was squatting 2 plates on each side.

To me, i think it is fine to offer unsolicited advice as long as it is done in good faith and does not come across as insulting. Gym trainers and experienced goers often give advice. I know i have done so for a lad who was benching too much and was clearly struggling.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
This is simply not true. I have been going to the gym for years and it is fine to offer advice esp with people who are perceived to be novices.

If you have seen the type of injuries that I have seen at many gyms that I have trained at, you would probably have a different view. Many of those injuries have been borne by newbies esp the old lady who apparently twisted her spine when she was squatting 2 plates on each side.

To me, i think it is fine to offer unsolicited advice as long as it is done in good faith and does not come across as insulting. Gym trainers and experienced goers often give advice. I know i have done so for a lad who was benching too much and was clearly struggling.

There is nothing in the scenario described to suggest the OP was at risk of seriously injuring themselves.

Unsolicited advice is by definition in bad faith by virtue of it being unsolicited.

I was lucky enough to observe a guy offer unsolicited advice to a friend of mine on how to deadlift. She holds the under 23 British deadlifting record in her federation and is a strength coach. It was hilariously awkward as his help was both useless and highly patronising.

Here's another example of someone who made the error of assuming his many years of doing something meant he was qualified to offer unsolicited advice. https://news.sky.com/video/pga-golfer-gets-unsolicited-advice-from-stranger-in-viral-clip-13079597
Original post by Gazpacho.
There is nothing in the scenario described to suggest the OP was at risk of seriously injuring themselves.

Unsolicited advice is by definition in bad faith by virtue of it being unsolicited.

I was lucky enough to observe a guy offer unsolicited advice to a friend of mine on how to deadlift. She holds the under 23 British deadlifting record in her federation and is a strength coach. It was hilariously awkward as his help was both useless and highly patronising.

Here's another example of someone who made the error of assuming his many years of doing something meant he was qualified to offer unsolicited advice. https://news.sky.com/video/pga-golfer-gets-unsolicited-advice-from-stranger-in-viral-clip-13079597
Do you expect the OP to be performing extreme lifts until someone walks up to her to share some advice?

Being under 23 British deadlifting champion does not mean much though. If she was the greatest lifter or a novice is meaningless, the approach is important not whether the advice was unsolicited or not. To your example, the approach was patronising which was the issue not the unsolicited advice.

Your last example is different as that’s a different scenario away from the gym.
10kg is barely more than an unladen olympic bar. Hardly an extreme lift that would warrant stepping in. This was a silly intervention IMO.
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia
What does your gym say?
I didn't say anything immediately after the incident as I was caught really off-guard by it all but in general they don't have any particular restrictions as I'm 16 and several instructors saw me using it and nothing was said then.
Reply 12
Original post by Admit-One
10kg is barely more than an unladen olympic bar. Hardly an extreme lift that would warrant stepping in. This was a silly intervention IMO.
That's what I thought! I felt a bit looked down on when I was given unsolicited advice like this, as I didn't at all look like I was struggling and while this was my first time using the squat rack, I've lifted a lot more on the Smith machine! These comments are easing my anxiety over this scenario though, thank you XD
(edited 2 months ago)
That's what I thought! I felt a bit looked down on when I was given unsolicited advice like this, as I didn't at all look like I was struggling and while this was my first time using the squat rack, I've lifted a lot more on the squat rack! These comments are easing my anxiety over this scenario though, thank you XD
One unsolicited advice: Start with the smith machine to help you with posture, reps and structure then move over to the free weights.
Reply 14
One unsolicited advice: Start with the smith machine to help you with posture, reps and structure then move over to the free weights.
I just reread my message and got my words mixed up - I meant "I've lifted a lot more on the Smith machine" so your advice does consolidate what I'm planning on doing, thank you!
I just reread my message and got my words mixed up - I meant "I've lifted a lot more on the Smith machine" so your advice does consolidate what I'm planning on doing, thank you!
Alright.

If i may add, don’t assume bad faith if it does not come across as negative, some people are genuinely trying to help. Don't fall for the exaggerated videos on tiktok. If the first approach is wrong, ignore and move on. If it is repeated, report to the trainers or gym staff.

Suggested target for you: Try to safely squat 80kg (10 reps) by end of year 2024. Let us know how you get on.

Good luck and stay safe.
That's what I thought! I felt a bit looked down on when I was given unsolicited advice like this, as I didn't at all look like I was struggling and while this was my first time using the Smith machine, I've lifted a lot more on the squat rack! These comments are easing my anxiety over this scenario though, thank you XD

Honestly you'd have been more justified in asking the 60-year old on the treadmill whether they "were okay?" or if they wanted you to keep an eye on them "just in case they got into trouble" :smile:.

But anyway, try not to take it to heart if you are enjoying yourself and are doing everything safely.
Reply 17
Original post by Admit-One
Honestly you'd have been more justified in asking the 60-year old on the treadmill whether they "were okay?" or if they wanted you to keep an eye on them "just in case they got into trouble" :smile:.

But anyway, try not to take it to heart if you are enjoying yourself and are doing everything safely.
Re-read my quoted message again and I edited it wrong as well 😆 just corrected it, but thank you! Glad to know I'm not the only one seeing it the way I'm seeing it haha

Quick Reply

Latest