The Student Room Group

Biotechnology and Genetics at Nottingham

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if there's anyone out there who's currently doing the biotechnology, genetics or human genetics courses at Nottingham uni who would be able to explain a little more about what they are and where they could potentially lead in terms of potential careers?
Thanks in advance guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I am currently studying Biotech at Nottingham, about to enter my second year.

Can't say to much about Human genetics but I'm pretty sure genetics will have the same first year as a biotech student at Nottingham.

Biotech is really about using the biological world around you for a purpose (That's a very broad definition, and it's a very broad subject)
You've probably heard about bacteria being grown that product insulin, well that's an example- There are so many others too.-

Biotechnology really consists of: Biochemistry/physiology, molecular biology, biology, some chemistry (Basic) and genetics.- and the areas which these can be applied to (Plants, animals and microbes) as I said it's very broad I am still learning about it and what I am discovering is that it's not really a subject in itself its more about understanding other sciences and being able to apply it + the techniques ( how you actually apply it.)

During your first year at Nottingham if you took biotech you would be based on Sutton Bonington Campus,and modules would pretty much be the same for most courses- They All give you a fundamental understanding of biological science (When it comes to biotech, you have a bit more freedom about which areas you learn- I.e Microbes, animals or plants)

That's what I've gained from it so far: You have ALOT more freedom as a biotech student in the second year

Which ever route you take in biotech genetics will be guaranteed to be present!- If you decided you're are intesrested in animals the course forces you to focus on biochemistry/physiology.

If you choose plants, you can focus either on whole plant biochemistry, molecular biology or both.

Microbes are a whole life of their own- You will focus on molecular ascepts/biochem/The organisms in general i.e traits they display, toxin they produce morphology etc

As I said genetics a common theme in all!

ALSO IN THE FIRST YEAR THE LAB EXPERIENCE IS GREAT- Just make sure you work with someone who actually wants to work lol or you'll miss out.

This isn't really complete because I'm only entering my second year, but this is my take on it so far!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Cheers, sounds like a good course! Much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending