The Student Room Group

Minor car park scrape

I was backing out of a space in a multi story car park today, and as I went to go back into forward and drive out, there was a miniscule bit of contact between my front bumper and the front bumper of the car in front. I obviously jumped out to have a look, and the only thing I could see on their car was a tiny little scrape (probably about 1 inch long and 1/3 of an inch wide). It was mainly just paint from my car, didn't look like there was any actual physical damage. I'm convinced it will come out and look fine with a bit of T cut.

Anyway, I didn't have a pen and paper but I only live a little while away, so I rushed home and then returned to put a note on the windscreen. I've left my number and explained what's happened.

The question is, how far can this person push this? There was practically no force involved in the incident and it's completely fixable for almost no cost. I'm just worried that I'll end up behind pursued by some ******** for thousands of pounds worth of damage that has just been fabricated out of nowhere.

Also, do I need to inform the police about this? Especially given that I originally had to leave the scene without leaving details so I could get a pen and paper?

Cheers guys. :frown:

EDIT; Just gave the Police a ring on 101, they told me to leave it for the minute but if the other driver hasn't phoned by tomorrow then I need to come into the station to report it in person.

EDIT 2; Had a little trip back to the car park and look some photos of the damage. Hopefully I won't get ripped off now. :L
(edited 9 years ago)
I hope you took plenty of pictures.
Original post by Alfissti
I hope you took plenty of pictures.

Unfortunately not. I've only had my licence for 6 months and I've had no incidents in that time, so I panicked a little bit. Feeling pretty ****ing stupid now, I've just left myself at the mercy of the car owner.
You may as well kiss goodbye to owning a house. :s-smilie:
Original post by TheSilentBang
You may as well kiss goodbye to owning a house. :s-smilie:

That's quite a few years away yet.
Reply 5
Someone scratched my car proper and didn't leave nothing.

But then that's karma I suppose.
Original post by Yawn11
Someone scratched my car proper and didn't leave nothing.

But then that's karma I suppose.

How would you have handled if it they had left their details??
Reply 7
Original post by bad_moose
How would you have handled if it they had left their details??

Probably would've got a decent quote on the repair and ask them to pay.

Since they'd be at fault, I wouldn't mind leaving insurance companies out of it.

If it's really minor, then I probably wouldn't even bother. Though I'd probably feel differently if my car was a new plate Mercedes or something.
Original post by Yawn11
Probably would've got a decent quote on the repair and ask them to pay.

Since they'd be at fault, I wouldn't mind leaving insurance companies out of it.

If it's really minor, then I probably wouldn't even bother. Though I'd probably feel differently if my car was a new plate Mercedes or something.

Yeah that's how I'm hoping it'll go. I really don't mind sorting it all out at my own cost, but I just don't want to lose my no claims bonus for something to insignificant. I did a bit of hunting around and worked out that the car was registered around 1984? So it's pretty old by most people's standards. Was the damage to your car bad?
Reply 9
Original post by bad_moose
Yeah that's how I'm hoping it'll go. I really don't mind sorting it all out at my own cost, but I just don't want to lose my no claims bonus for something to insignificant. I did a bit of hunting around and worked out that the car was registered around 1984? So it's pretty old by most people's standards. Was the damage to your car bad?

Don't think anyone will care for a car that old.

Yeah pretty noticeable damage on the wheel arch. Annoyed me at first, but meh I don't really care anymore.
If someone scratched my car & actually had the decency to leave their details, I would be very reasonable with them. Unless their was CCTV, it would've been very easy for you to drive off and forget about it. I think you've handled the situation maturely and the owner of the other vehicle should by all means be reasonable and fair with you.
I had someone back right into my car in a carpark whilst I was in it and then drive off. Really should have got their reg and reported it, but I wasn't exactly thinking straight and was paying more attention to the damage on my car. Luckely only dented the back corner, and it was a 10 year old car anyway (and since it was my first car it had a few minor scrapes and bumps anyway). Funny, when I part exchanged it a few years later they didn't even seem to notice the damage, not that it really would have made a difference anyway.
Next time,always try to back into the parking bay then drive out when departing... Good on you for fessing up BTW.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending