The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Apollo
I dunno, no one seems interested:frown:

I blame you :hmmm:
Reply 21
I think the lull in acitivity is caused by it being Summer, time for holidays etc, I don't think its because of Apollo :p:
Reply 22
Id be more interested if I fully knew what was happening...
Reply 23
Nick R
Id be more interested if I fully knew what was happening...

Exactly. This requires far more initiative in terms of reading up so you can debate with confidence.

Only to be expected.
Reply 24
If someone could post a decent summary of the events that took place during that invasion, that would be tremendously helpful. :smile:
Reply 25
Nightowl
I think the lull in acitivity is caused by it being Summer, time for holidays etc, I don't think its because of Apollo :p:

Nightowl :hmmm:
Stop finding something to blame it on, summer's pretty much over now.
Reply 26
Knogle
If someone could post a decent summary of the events that took place during that invasion, that would be tremendously helpful. :smile:

*Groans* Oh all right, this had better encourage people to participate :p:

Intro: The gulf war was waged between Iraq and a 20 nation UN coalition for approximately 7 months. Iraq, which had the 4th largest army in the world at the time, alleged that its tiny neighbor Kuwait was illegally drilling for oil in Iraqi territory. Iraq took over almost all of Kuwait in just under 4 hours.

Almost immediately the action was condemned by nations around the globe, and economic sanctions were placed on Iraq by the UNSC. American President George Bush quickly deployed thousands of troops to Saudi Arabia in an effort to deter the Iraqi's from invading there as well. Eventually the US troop total reached 500,000, and while Iraq never attempted to invade Saudi Arabia, most experts agree that they would have been successful before the US troop level was sufficient.

The conflict then entered a several month stalemate, which multiple UN resolutions being passed. On November 29th the UN passed a resolution stating that Iraq had until January 15th to withdraw. They took no action to comply, and on January 12th the US congress voted to use military force to push them out.

The Americans were eventually joined by 34 other nations to form a coalition of over 660,000 troops, although about 3/4 were American. The coalition soon launched a massive air campaign against Iraq, who responded by firing SCUD missiles at Saudi Arabia and Israel. On February 24th the coalition launched a ground campaign. Kuwait was liberated by February 27th, and Iraq agreed to a peace deal on February 28th after being surrounded on it's boarders by the 660,000 coalition troops and another 100,000 Turkish troops.
Reply 27
I will take France, the only problem being that I am leaving again on Thursday. If you don't think I should take France, please let me know.
Reply 28
France it is.
Reply 29
Cheers Apollo - i was actually hoping for something more detailed than othat, beyond a brief summary which I was rather well-versed with already. But I'm sure that'll come in useful for some. :yy: *scurries off to search*
Reply 30
Ah, apologies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_war is pretty good.
Reply 31
Apollo
France it is.

Thank you!
Reply 32
Apollo

D'oh! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Apollo

All hail Wikipedia! :adore:
Reply 34
Come on, perhaps if we start it with the few members we have, others will see fit to join in later?
Reply 35
Alright we might as well start (anyone can join in later)

Breaking news: Iraq invades Kuwait

At approximately 2 o'clock this morning (August 2nd), 100,000 Iraqi soldiers, 350 tanks and over 100 artillery units crossed over the Iraqi boarder and into Kuwait. The attack was supposedly led Iraq's most elite military branch- The republican guard. Reports state that only 4 hours later the Iraqi army had reached Kuwait City, with reletively minimal resistence reported. Much of Kuwait's army is rumored to have fleed or laid down their arms, leaving their military about 1/5 of the size of the invading force. Saddam is rumored to have 855,000 more troops ready to move if needed.
Kuwait have had it coming a long time, Serves them right for their illegal theft of Iraq’s oil reserves through cross border pipelines .

*Cheers from the Sidelines*
Reply 37
I'll join, what countries are needed at the moment?
Reply 38
France is appalled at this recent turn of events, and condemns Iraq's brutal invasion of Kuwait. We call upon the United Nations and the Security Council to react to this immediately (*coughs*). We will then be able to take a clear stance in collaboration with our allies.
Reply 39
Chris06
I'll join, what countries are needed at the moment?

We could use saudi arabia?

Latest

Trending

Trending