The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apollo
We could use saudi arabia?

Teehar asked for Saudi Arabia if he couldn't have the US.
Reply 41
If anyone would like to take the UK, please feel free to do so.
I'll do it.
brimstone
The United States of America will issue a response to this conflict shortly.

Just a small point - You aren't representing the USA :p: (that's NO's job)
The UK's initial response to Iraq's actions can be summarised, in fact, by our representative's avatar. If Iraq continues to violate the sovereign territory of Kuwait, and Kuwait is unable to defend itself, it is both the responsibility and the duty of the UN to fight on its behalf. The UN must not be seen to be willing to tolerate such aggression. The UK intends to contribute a major, er, contribution to the coalition force, and we stand shoulder to shoulder with our American allies.
Agent Smith
The UK's initial response to Iraq's actions can be summarised, in fact, by our representative's avatar. If Iraq continues to violate the sovereign territory of Kuwait, and Kuwait is unable to defend itself, it is both the responsibility and the duty of the UN to fight on its behalf. The UN must not be seen to be willing to tolerate such aggression. The UK intends to contribute a major, er, contribution to the coalition force, and we stand shoulder to shoulder with our American allies.

The PLO condemns the UK's stance on Iraq reclaiming of its stolen oil and bringing to heel of a separatist faction. The PLO wishes it could do more to help Iraq but we've got a bit of bother ourselves with zionist imperialism.
The PLO can condemn all it wants, but the fact remains that in the eyes of the UN, what it terms a separatist faction is a sovereign state, and as such has exactly the same right to sovereignty of borders as any other. If the PLO has a problem with this, it is welcome to challenge the UN's position on the matter through the normal avenues of discussion and debate.

We would further add that since technically Palestine is itself a separatist faction, if every nation were to adopt the stance the PLO is supporting, Israel would quickly do some reclaiming and bringing to heel of its own.
Agent Smith
The PLO can condemn all it wants, but the fact remains that in the eyes of the UN, what it terms a separatist faction is a sovereign state, and as such has exactly the same right to sovereignty of borders as any other. If the PLO has a problem with this, it is welcome to challenge the UN's position on the matter through the normal avenues of discussion and debate.

We would further add that since technically Palestine is itself a separatist faction, if every nation were to adopt the stance it is supporting, Israel would quickly do some reclaiming and bringing to heel of its own.

[OOC]Can we just assume for the purpose of this thread that we had a long and utterly pointless debate on the founding of Israel to let us get on with the actual business at hand. It isn't worth actually having it since it isn't relevant and I certainly don't believe the things I'm saying in character[/OOC]

Imperialism…..Stole our land….Zionist…..Zionist …..Zionist ….
[OOC]My bad. I shouldn't really have added those last three lines.[/OOC]

The UK wishes to withdraw the second paragraph of its previous statement.
Reply 49
Nefarious
Just a small point - You aren't representing the USA :p: (that's NO's job)

Whoops :redface:

I thought I was representing America :s:

The Republic of Iraq stands by its actions to defend the illegal drilling of Iraqi oil supplies by Kuwait.
Lol
Reply 51
Thank you to brimstone for being my PA for a short while. :p:

The USA strongly condemns this act of agression towards Kuwait. We are currently in the process of making numerous proposals to the UN for economic sanctions against Iraq which we will submit to the Security Council, hoping that this will suspend Iraq's agression. Should these fail, nothing will be left out of our considerations about what to do next.
Reply 52
Nightowl
The USA strongly condemns this act of agression towards Kuwait. We are currently in the process of making numerous proposals to the UN for economic sanctions against Iraq which we will submit to the Security Council, hoping that this will suspend Iraq's agression. Should these fail, nothing will be left out of our considerations about what to do next.

The Republic of Iraq condemns the ignorance of the United States with regards to Middle Eastern affairs. Iraq is only trying to protect her oil supplies, something which we know the US wants dearly. Any sanctions proposed and passed by the (M)UN will be ignored. Any agressive action against Iraqi forces in Kuwait will be met by a hostile reaction.
The UK would like to advise Iraq against such a foolish stance. Simple defiance will not help its case, and in any case it's not for Iraq to "ignore" sanctions. If enough countries decide to cease trading with it, there's nothing it can do about it. And "hostile reactions" will not do a great deal of good against a major multinational force which is both far larger and far better equipped than Iraq's armed forces.

We invite Iraq to reconsider.
Reply 54
Agent Smith
The UK would like to advise Iraq against such a foolish stance. Simple defiance will not help its case, and in any case it's not for Iraq to "ignore" sanctions. If enough countries decide to cease trading with it, there's nothing it can do about it. And "hostile reactions" will not do a great deal of good against a major multinational force which is both far larger and far better equipped than Iraq's armed forces.

We invite Iraq to reconsider.

The Republic of Iraq would very kindly like to the UK Representative to stop sticking his nose where it does not belong. This matter is one between Iraq and Kuwait, a nation illegally drilling Iraq's oil. It is not for the UK to involve themselves in.
brimstone
The Republic of Iraq would very kindly like to the UK Representative to stop sticking his nose where it does not belong. This matter is one between Iraq and Kuwait, a nation illegally drilling Iraq's oil. It is not for the UK to involve themselves in.

[OOC] Just a small point Iraq does not recognise Kuwait’s existence IIRC [/OOC]

*Continues to cheer rather ineffectually at the sidelines*
brimstone
Agreed. Disputes between Persian nations are not Western Europe's business. It is, however, very much the UN's business when one member state invades another, because it violates the fundamental principles of the UN Charter. I am not speaking simply as a representative of a nosy UK; I am reminding those nations that are party to the dispute, in particular Iraq, of their obligations as UN members; and also of the fact that the UN can and will act to enforce its Charter.
Reply 57
Agent Smith
Agreed. Disputes between Persian nations are not Western Europe's business. It is, however, very much the UN's business when one member state invades another, because it violates the fundamental principles of the UN Charter. I am not speaking simply as a representative of a nosy UK; I am reminding those nations that are party to the dispute, in particular Iraq, of their obligations as UN members; and also of the fact that the UN can and will act to enforce its Charter.

The Republic of Iraq has only made defensive actions to prevent exploitation of our precious natural materials by the land grabbing bastards the rule the illegal state Kuwait. Our actions are not agressive and do not warrant external involvement.

(Thanks Nef :wink:)
Reply 58
The fact remains that the UN recognises Kuwait, and therefore we are duty bound to protect it. Whether Iraq likes that or not is irrelevent, and they are faced with a clear choice of pulling out, or (potentially) dire consequences.

Sanctions are on the express train to Security Council Central.
brimstone
The Republic of Iraq has only made defensive actions to prevent exploitation of our precious natural materials by the land grabbing bastards the rule the illegal state Kuwait. Our actions are not agressive and do not warrant external involvement.

(Thanks Nef :wink:)

yemen believes that this matter is an Arab matter and should and can be Solved internally without any external involvement especially western countries

Latest

Trending

Trending