The Student Room Group

Why do Pakistani's have the highest academic credentials?

Following on from the discussion in the Cam thread.

I wanted to ask why is that race in particular so clever in regards to academia.

"As it is among the Jewish community, Pakistanis (like most of the Asian citizens) simply treasure education to such an extent that they give 110%.
Make no excuses for themselves.
Parents accept no excuses". - Some quote I found.

To give examples my old maths tutor got 4 A's at A Level back when there no A stars, and he told me that his whole family went to top unis/professions etc.

And another boy at my SF college, got 4 A's 95%+ average in all 4 AS subjects, and he was 15 at the time (year 10 doing them early).

Then there is the case of the two pakistani boys who got 23 A Levels...

Is there a secret to doing so well?

What do they do that others don't?

Why is that race are so intellectually clever whereas other ethnicities aren't as high achieving?

Also don't say 2.2 :cool:

Piqued my interest, would like to hear responses.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know a guy from Pakistan, only got B's, C's and D's in GCSE and went on to do a BTEC where he only did passes.
Reply 2
Original post by Joshale
I know a guy from Pakistan, only got B's, C's and D's in GCSE and went on to do a BTEC where he only did passes.

Yeah it happens, but for the most stellar grades it is usually that ethnicity in particular which do so well.
Reply 3
They're not that good, India has more but they don't go blagging on about it as much as them. It's a Pakistani culture to show off and compare what their son or daughter is doing.

How many Indians do you see working at the top corporations in USA?
If you check the commonwealth table India were 4th, I didn't see Pakistan anywhere.
Who were the last cricket world cup winners?
India does have a lot of talent so does Pakistan but they don't always seem to use it in the right way as is portrayed in the media.

To answer your question about general academic ability in Asia, I believe it is mainly due to their parents encouraging them to do it and have a better life than themselves, living conditions in some countries are poor and electricity and water problems occur, they naturally know that do have a better life they must educate themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Its because of the different up bringing. This is similar in most asian countries and hence why they are academically more achieving than other countries. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Curry and Daal
Reply 6
Original post by zed963
They're not that good, India has more but they don't go blagging on about it as much as them. It's a Pakistani culture to show off and compare what their son or daughter is doing.

How many Indians do you see working at the top corporations in USA?
If you check the commonwealth table India were 4th, I didn't see Pakistan anywhere.
Who were the last cricket world cup winners?
India does have a lot of talent so does Pakistan but they don't always seem to use it in the right way as is portrayed in the media.

To answer your question about general academic ability in Asia, I believe it is mainly due to their parents encouraging them to do it and have a better life than themselves, living conditions in some countries are poor and electricity and water problems occur, they naturally know that do have a better life they must educate themselves.

Indian detected :lol:

But yh there are clever clocks in every race though, rather it be asians, whites or blacks.
Hi,
First of all thanks for putting Pakistani's in the limelight with your post praising how academically intelligent we are (yes i am one myself). However, i would say that in every race you have gifted people who are exceptionally talented and some naturally smart. What i find is that social class plays a huge role in determining how well a child can achieve generally.

Having well off parents determines the kind of school their child attends, also with other opportunities such as private tuition (which alot of asian parents usually encourage their children to undertake) really give the edge when it comes to performing well in exams.

Lastly, it all depends how driven the child is, contrary to what i have said above some asain children come from poor backgrounds with their parents struggling to meet ends on a day to day basis. As a result they are encouraged strongly to do well and pushed alot in order to gain recognition and be seen as superior especially among relatives where alot of comparison is made in terms of how their kids are performing against one another.

This pressures the child alot and then you see so many young pakistani kids almost obsessed about how well their doing at school (personal experience) and it almost overtakes their life. All in all i would say due to social pressure alot of pakistani kids are left with no choice but to grind away and produce outstanding results otherwise face resent, humiliation and disappointment from parents. :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Rosie786
Indian detected :lol:

But yh there are clever clocks in every race though, rather it be asians, whites or blacks.

Yeah I agree, there are geniuses from every country.
But I don't think I've seen a better work ethic than those people from India, I'm not being biased. Well Japan and China students work pretty hard.
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Following on from the discussion in the Cam thread.

I wanted to ask why is that race in particular so clever in regards to academia.

"As it is among the Jewish community, Pakistanis (like most of the Asian citizens) simply treasure education to such an extent that they give 110%.
Make no excuses for themselves.
Parents accept no excuses". - Some quote I found.

To give examples my old maths tutor got 4 A's at A Level back when there no A stars, and he told me that his whole family went to top unis/professions etc.

And another boy at my SF college, got 4 A's 95%+ average in all 4 AS subjects, and he was 15 at the time (year 10 doing them early).

Then there is the case of the two pakistani boys who got 23 A Levels...

Is there a secret to doing so well?

What do they do that others don't?

Why is that race are so intellectually clever whereas other ethnicities aren't as high achieving?

Also don't say 2.2 :cool:

Piqued my interest, would like to hear responses.

It's all in the genes :smug: Pakistani parents are smart and hardworking, although they don't really show it.
We love to make our parents proud and so we strive to get the best grades and if we don't then well, we're punished big time plus we're looked down upon in our community.

Seriously, there are clever people in every race though not just Pakistanis. Chinese are more clever than anyone else :yep:
(edited 9 years ago)
who said? :teehee:
Reply 12
Original post by zed963
Yeah I agree, there are geniuses from every country.
But I don't think I've seen a better work ethic than those people from India, I'm not being biased. Well Japan and China students work pretty hard.

Lol I'm white so I'd say I'm more clever :tongue:
Lol they're not all like that. Not even majority.

In my school not a single Pakistani managed an A* in anything. (GCSE or A Level) except Urdu maybe? Lmao

So yeah, they're not
Reply 14
Original post by Rosie786
Lol I'm white so I'd say I'm more clever :tongue:

Lol,

I'm not saying anything regarding your intellect. Sorry if you took it that way.

I'm just generally saying that the work ethic of India is amazing it's quite like China and Japan. They work their backsides off until they get what they want.
Reply 15
Original post by zed963
Lol,

I'm not saying anything regarding your intellect. Sorry if you took it that way.

I'm just generally saying that the work ethic of India is amazing it's quite like China and Japan. They work their backsides off until they get what they want.

Lol I'm an asian stuck in a white person's body :teehee:
I did pretty okay, but my other 3 siblings aren't like that at all :laugh:
This isn't true. Pakistanis (without the apostrophe) are not cleverer than any other race in this country.
Reply 18
Are you trolling? The majority of them are in the lowest social class. Clearly they're far from being clever. How many of them are accepted into oxbridge? Very few. The same thing with every other prestigious university. You'll only find them in universities like City University and Nottingham Trent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, I don't know where you've been, but I grew up in Newham, where a good majority of the population is Asian. I was surrounded by Pakistanis, Indians, Bangladeshis, etc for 18 years. Virtually all of them were mediocre (which was true for students of all ethnicities really...). Among the 180 in my year at secondary school, there must have been maybe 10 - 20 students of real merit. Indians were probably the modal group.

In college, it was the same story really. I mean, even in my 'Honours' class - a group of so-called gifted and talented students - students there would rejoice at getting C's or be laughing amongst each other about getting E's. Granted, that was just when we'd only been in AS for a few months but still...it was astounding. I don't know where this 'Asians are naturally very intelligent or hardworking' thing comes from. Places like Newham should be topping the educational charts in that case. I suspect that that phrase is mainly for Chinese people or other East Asians, who were virtually non-existent where I grew up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest