The Student Room Group

Is an economics degree from Manchester respected?

Hi everyone, just wondering if an economics degree from Manchester is respected? Like amongst employers and for IB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spyrogyra
Hi everyone, just wondering if an economics degree from Manchester is respected? Like amongst employers and for IB

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's okay but not amazing. You'd struggle for an FO role but MO/BO shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ah thanks, how about for consultancy or accounting at one of the big firms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah thanks, how about for consultancy or accounting at one of the big firms

Posted from TSR Mobile

Accounting/Consulting at Big 4 should place you strongly. Second Tier Consulting somewhat less so but still relatively well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Sorry i meant how respected is a manchester economics degree by the big acc/consultancy firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about Edinburgh uni economics and finance degree. How difficult is it to get into IB FO
Sorry i meant how respected is a manchester economics degree by the big acc/consultancy firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, MBB Consulting is harder than IB to get into.

Big 4 will like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by golden tribe
What about Edinburgh uni economics and finance degree. How difficult is it to get into IB FO

People should understand that you as the individual carry a lot of weight rather than your uni. Your uni is not going to fully determine your chances or guarantee you a job. It will give you a very average/okay chance for FO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
People should understand that you as the individual carry a lot of weight rather than your uni. Your uni is not going to fully determine your chances or guarantee you a job. It will give you a very average/okay chance for FO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but what about Edinburgh uni, how is it viewed and do i stand a chance

p.s do you have some experience that you can share with us, we need all we can get
(edited 9 years ago)
but what about Edinburgh uni, how is it viewed and do i stand a chance

p.s do you have some experience that you can share with us, we need all we can get

It's viewed as sufficient. In other words, if you make yourself look amazing as a candidate by ticking all the other boxes, you stand a chance at being interviewed.

What do you want to know?
yes!!! absolutely
It's viewed as sufficient. In other words, if you make yourself look amazing as a candidate by ticking all the other boxes, you stand a chance at being interviewed.

What do you want to know?

do you have experience in IB or similar field, if so what do you recommend i should do to increase my chance of getting into IB
do you have experience in IB or similar field, if so what do you recommend i should do to increase my chance of getting into IB

Standard Answer:

- Get stellar grades in everything (goes without saying really)
- Learn a language, or a computer language
- Start a business, website, society, anything
- Volunteering
- IB related experience (insight days, anything ad hoc is good)
- Do a truckload of ECs but quality is better than quantity there
- Go abroad to work or study or on a special programme you can find
- Get leadership experience from somewhere doing something
- Sport at a high level
- Try win awards/scholarships
- Student Ambassador
- Write articles for your society or online/blog
- Network heavily

That list isn't exhaustive but gives you an idea. Not much experience here except insight programmes and Spring Week.
Standard Answer:

- Get stellar grades in everything (goes without saying really)
- Learn a language, or a computer language
- Start a business, website, society, anything
- Volunteering
- IB related experience (insight days, anything ad hoc is good)
- Do a truckload of ECs but quality is better than quantity there
- Go abroad to work or study or on a special programme you can find
- Get leadership experience from somewhere doing something
- Sport at a high level
- Try win awards/scholarships
- Student Ambassador
- Write articles for your society or online/blog
- Network heavily

That list isn't exhaustive but gives you an idea. Not much experience here except insight programmes and Spring Week.

what is EC and how do you network
what is EC and how do you network

EC = extra-curricular

No 'right' way to network a such, find your own style.

A good starting place is on insight programmes and other similar events which will help build your network. From that point on, just stay in periodic contact with people, find common ground.

Posted from TSR Mobile
EC = extra-curricular

A good starting place is on insight programmes and other similar events which will help build your network. From that point on, just stay in periodic contact with people, find common ground.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks
EC = extra-curricular

Posted from TSR Mobile

But wouldn't they get rather frustrated at people only interested in them for where they can get them. And no matter how genuine you try to make relations wouldn't they find it superficial and disgusting. Or maybe theyre used to that in the corporate world :confused:
Original post by Temporality
But wouldn't they get rather frustrated at people only interested in them for where they can get them. And no matter how genuine you try to make relations wouldn't they find it superficial and disgusting. Or maybe theyre used to that in the corporate world :confused:

Haha, I always thought this and to an extent, it is true. It really honestly depends on the person. You will meet people who will never want anything to do with you again and others who are quite the opposite. Usually banks will only bring bankers to those events if they know they are likely to actually be good to students.

In short, you'd be surprised how very willing often many are to actually give advice/help you. Of course, they will at the events because that is their job but often they do outside as well if you decide to stay in touch - don't hassle them though; they are extremely busy. What you have to remember is only a year or two ago they were in exactly the same position as you and know how hard it is. The best approach is some time after the event to email/connect with them (not straight away because they get inundated with requests straight after events and then just ignore everyone) but a few weeks after. In one case, I even waited a few months but remind them who you are. I find the approach of following-up and then asking if it would be okay to chat on the phone for ten minutes is the most receptive approach (because that way they know what they do is limited to that call and won't be endless messaging back and forth using up all their time).

Don't expect them to jump at putting in a referral for you, that often doesn't happen but for advice/specific interview advice, they are quite good to have. Just be genuine.

Also, connect with people at the event, you'd be surprised at how useful having a huge network the same age as you is for finding out interview tips for specific banks, events that aren't really advertised and for general application check-ups.

In short, it depends. Some are very willing, others are most certainly not.
Haha, I always thought this and to an extent, it is true. It really honestly depends on the person. You will meet people who will never want anything to do with you again and others who are quite the opposite. Usually banks will only bring bankers to those events if they know they are likely to actually be good to students.

In short, you'd be surprised how very willing often many are to actually give advice/help you. Of course, they will at the events because that is their job but often they do outside as well if you decide to stay in touch - don't hassle them though; they are extremely busy. What you have to remember is only a year or two ago they were in exactly the same position as you and know how hard it is. The best approach is some time after the event to email/connect with them (not straight away because they get inundated with requests straight after events and then just ignore everyone) but a few weeks after. In one case, I even waited a few months but remind them who you are. I find the approach of following-up and then asking if it would be okay to chat on the phone for ten minutes is the most receptive approach (because that way they know what they do is limited to that call and won't be endless messaging back and forth using up all their time).

Don't expect them to jump at putting in a referral for you, that often doesn't happen but for advice/specific interview advice, they are quite good to have. Just be genuine.

Also, connect with people at the event, you'd be surprised at how useful having a huge network the same age as you is for finding out interview tips for specific banks, events that aren't really advertised and for general application check-ups.

In short, it depends. Some are very willing, others are most certainly not.

Oh okay, thank you for your helpful answer. To be honest with you a job in banking has always seemed very dull to me and I'm doing an art degree rather than a numerate one so I just asked out of curiosity. I imagine though that roughly the same general techniques with networking could apply to me though if I choose to get into curating, buying and selling art or indeed an entirely different line of work as I never know what that might be and it may well involve some extensive networking.
I too have found that when looking for menial student jobs (which can be really quite hard in a big over-populated city) I always get a better repsonse if I am either on the phone to someone or visit them in person. They will recieve far too many messages over the internet or through written communication and it is far too both boring and impersonal a method of communication. If youre actually speaking to an employer you get a chance to communicate both who you are and your sincerity. When I once looked up a business's telephone number and actually phoned them up when that information wasn't included in their advert, and no other candidate had done that, they were so impressed that they invited only me for interview. So being personal can go a long way.
Original post by Temporality
Oh okay, thank you for your helpful answer. To be honest with you a job in banking has always seemed very dull to me and I'm doing an art degree rather than a numerate one so I just asked out of curiosity. I imagine though that roughly the same general techniques with networking could apply to me though if I choose to get into curating, buying and selling art or indeed an entirely different line of work as I never know what that might be and it may well involve some extensive networking.
I too have found that when looking for menial student jobs (which can be really quite hard in a big over-populated city) I always get a better repsonse if I am either on the phone to someone or visit them in person. They will recieve far too many messages over the internet or through written communication and it is far too both boring and impersonal a method of communication. If youre actually speaking to an employer you get a chance to communicate both who you are and your sincerity. When I once looked up a business's telephone number and actually phoned them up when that information wasn't included in their advert, and no other candidate had done that, they were so impressed that they invited only me for interview. So being personal can go a long way.

Absolutely right! In fact, I actually met someone at a networking event aged 27 who was an art dealer and applying for graduate roles in IBD, haha. But totally agree, it really isn't for everyone. Every job involves networking really, you'll always go further with those skills than without them regardless of whether it is immediately obvious if you need them or not. Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending