The Student Room Group

Am I wasting my time with natural science?

I am currently down to study natural science this year, however I'm wondering if I'd be better of scraping that idea and just going for straight earth science, as that would be my planned major if I did NatSci anyway.

I would like to get into the mineral/resources industries after graduating, considering mining at the minute, or oil/gas maybe.

I'm wondering if the chemistry/engineering modules which I can take would give me an advantage over those doing straight earth science/geology.

Earth science is accredited my the geological society whereas NatSci (earth sci major) is not, even if I selected similar modules, it still wouldn't have that accreditation.

Any advice is appreciated.
You get 60 credits each in levels 2 and 3 to study a range of modules if you do Environmental Science. Is it not possible to do some chemistry/engineering modules in those slots?
Original post by BestProfileName
You get 60 credits each in levels 2 and 3 to study a range of modules if you do Environmental Science. Is it not possible to do some chemistry/engineering modules in those slots?

I suspect that is only the case at your university. I just checked the earth science course and I have 100 compulsory credits from the school of env. sciences, then an optional 20 from other schools outside of the science faculty, not chemistry or engineering though.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
I suspect that is only the case at your university. I just checked the earth science course and I have 100 compulsory credits from the school of env. sciences, then an optional 20 from other schools outside of the science faculty, not chemistry or engineering though.

I checked the OU website. You have 60 compulsory credits at level 2 and 60 compulsory again at level 3. SO you get 120 optional credits.

However, I don't know what your pool of choices is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending