The Student Room Group

What's it like being a mature student?

I'll be going off to university in September, and I can't wait!

But the thing is, I haven't actually been in formal education for quite some time. I completed my A-Levels with reasonably good grades, but have spent the last three years working and occasionally volunteering. Do you think I'll be at a disadvantage, compared with people who've only just done their A-Levels and such?

Anyone who was in the same boat as me and who is now studying at university, I'd really appreciate any advice that you might have. Thank you!
Reply 1
I've been working for 15 years and I'm starting at uni this Sept too! It's a bit scary, but I think it will balance out. Yes - I'm going to be out of practice of the learning environment, but my work means I know how to organise myself and my time in the way that works for me.

I'm sure we'll get up to speed on the things we're a bit rusty on in no time, remember - uni wouldn't have offered you a place if they didn't think you were capable. Good luck!
If anything, you'll have an advantage over the younger students. You've had more life experience and are (hopefully!) more mature.

I dropped out of my first uni and after a few years of working am now at a different one as a mature student. I don't feel like I really get treated any differently because of it, I'm only 24 and don't look that old so most people probably assume I'm of a similar age to them anyway.
Reply 3
I started my undergrad degree aged 44 and my last formal learning (apart from a couple of online courses) was 24 years previously! Don't worry - you'll get the hang of it.

Plus you can already look after yourself. Those straight from school will not only be trying to work out university study (which many don't realise is very different to A Levels), but how to budget, where to buy food, how to cook it and where to wash their socks!
I'm starting my degree this Sept but have just completed an Access to HE course after being away from formal education for more than 20 years. I realised a few things really quickly;

1. I was the only one who defined me by my age.

2. My experience of managing work, family and running a home made much more organised than the people coming straight out of school.

3. Had I gone to Uni straight from school I would have been far more timid than I am now. I used to avoid asking questions in class if I didn't quite understand something, now I'm older I don't have the same fear of asking question. I would much rather ask a possibly silly question, know what's expected of me and get the best marks that I can, than not say anything at all.

Good luck and enjoy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending