The Student Room Group

Late university start

Is it really bad to start my undergraduate degree at 20? What are people's opinion on starting university late?

Cheers!
Original post by Hazsfc
Is it really bad to start my undergraduate degree at 20? What are people's opinion on starting university late?

Cheers!

Hi @Hazsfc

This is not bad at all! I was 20 when starting my first year undergraduate last September and had no issues at all. There are a lot of people of many different age groups who start an undergraduate degree with a lot being the same age as yourself.

Most Universities have a group for mature students to meet and have support, Edge Hill has a mature student society as well as an officer who can help with any issues a mature student may be having.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck!

Emily
First Year Creative Writing Student
Reply 2
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @Hazsfc

This is not bad at all! I was 20 when starting my first year undergraduate last September and had no issues at all. There are a lot of people of many different age groups who start an undergraduate degree with a lot being the same age as yourself.

Most Universities have a group for mature students to meet and have support, Edge Hill has a mature student society as well as an officer who can help with any issues a mature student may be having.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck!

Emily

Hi, Thank you for your response!

I’ve kind of wasted two years, well one technically and I am now gonna have to start my degree when I’ll be 20. I wouldn’t be considered a mature student because they’re 21 or over right? I’m just sad about not studying at the same level as my friends and I’ll be 25 when I would finished my Master’s, any words on that?
Original post by Hazsfc
Hi, Thank you for your response!

I’ve kind of wasted two years, well one technically and I am now gonna have to start my degree when I’ll be 20. I wouldn’t be considered a mature student because they’re 21 or over right? I’m just sad about not studying at the same level as my friends and I’ll be 25 when I would finished my Master’s, any words on that?

No problem at all @Hazsfc!

Yes, a mature student would be considered 21 and over. I understand what you are saying, it can be hard starting a course at a different time from your friends. I would say that it's great that you are starting a degree, no matter what age you are. This is an achievement in itself and you will be surrounded by many people the same age and older than you throughout your studies! I am in the same boat and will be the same age when I finish my education and it helped me to think about how I would rather do it this age than not do it at all. What also helped me was making friends with others the same age as me in my course as there were plenty and my age became less and less important as time went on. :smile:

Emily
Reply 4
No problem at all @Hazsfc!

Yes, a mature student would be considered 21 and over. I understand what you are saying, it can be hard starting a course at a different time from your friends. I would say that it's great that you are starting a degree, no matter what age you are. This is an achievement in itself and you will be surrounded by many people the same age and older than you throughout your studies! I am in the same boat and will be the same age when I finish my education and it helped me to think about how I would rather do it this age than not do it at all. What also helped me was making friends with others the same age as me in my course as there were plenty and my age became less and less important as time went on. :smile:

Emily

Hmm, makes sense 🙂!

Honestly, the years that got wasted weren’t my fault; I achieved good grades from college, it was just due to certain circumstances. I’m just upset about being very old when I finish my formal education. As long as I wouldn’t be judged and treated differently from 18 year olds at university, perfect ig? Just to confirm, I wouldn’t be considered an older/mature student when I’ll start my degree at 20 right? Were you?

Thanks 🙏
Original post by Hazsfc
Hmm, makes sense 🙂!

Honestly, the years that got wasted weren’t my fault; I achieved good grades from college, it was just due to certain circumstances. I’m just upset about being very old when I finish my formal education. As long as I wouldn’t be judged and treated differently from 18 year olds at university, perfect ig? Just to confirm, I wouldn’t be considered an older/mature student when I’ll start my degree at 20 right? Were you?

Thanks 🙏

From my experience, nobody even really thought about the ages of other students and of course if you face any issues surrounding this, I would recommend going to your course leader to sort them out. You would not be considered a mature student starting aged 20, I wasn't.

No problem at all!! :smile:
Reply 6
From my experience, nobody even really thought about the ages of other students and of course if you face any issues surrounding this, I would recommend going to your course leader to sort them out. You would not be considered a mature student starting aged 20, I wasn't.

No problem at all!! :smile:

Alright, it’s understandable. Thank you very much for your support and good luck!
Original post by Hazsfc
Alright, it’s understandable. Thank you very much for your support and good luck!

Hi there,

I'm glad to see that the responses have helped. I was a mature student myself, coming back to higher education as a 21 year old. I was upset that I was joining a course as all of my friends were graduating.

But, no matter your age, deciding to study a subject that you have passion in is something to very proud of. We have a large population of mature students at Edge Hill and hopefully, you will see that you are not alone.

That passion about the subject is something that you will share with your classmates, no matter their age.

I hope you enjoy your course and best of luck in your future studies.

Melissa- Course Enquiries
Original post by Hazsfc

Cheers!

Makes no difference at all. It's also not "late" - there is no set time for starting university. Many do go to uni from school, but many also go after a gap year or two or three, and many more also go after having spent several years working, sometimes much later in life!

Also at 20 you aren't even considered a mature student by university standards (the only difference if you were being that you might be considered for certain additional support options, given more consideration for studio flats in halls, etc. There is literally no difference between an 18 year old and a 20 year old at uni, completely indistinguishable.
Reply 9
Original post by Edge Hill University
Hi there,

I'm glad to see that the responses have helped. I was a mature student myself, coming back to higher education as a 21 year old. I was upset that I was joining a course as all of my friends were graduating.

But, no matter your age, deciding to study a subject that you have passion in is something to very proud of. We have a large population of mature students at Edge Hill and hopefully, you will see that you are not alone.

That passion about the subject is something that you will share with your classmates, no matter their age.

I hope you enjoy your course and best of luck in your future studies.

Melissa- Course Enquiries

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I will be going to the University of Manchester and not Edge Hill. I believe I wouldn’t be a mature student; I’d be a normal student ig since I’ll start my degree at 20 and not 21.

Cheers and good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending