The Student Room Group

MSc Computer Science @ Imperial - 2014 - worth it?

Hi

I have received an offer from IC for a place on the comp sci course starting in October. I'm unsure whether to accept. I currently have a job in non-CS field, so its a big opportunity cost to give it up for a year + pay the £10k for the course.

I want to know what the career prospects are - do most people get a job straight away? Is there anyone on TSR who has been on this course or know someone who has? Any useful info welcome! :smile:

Thanks,

Riixii
Reply 1
Ta
Well it wouldn't be so hard to move into tech at banks in London after doing that course, if that's what you're interested in. Considering salaries start at around £42000 it's up to you if you want to go into that type of career and don't have a background in programming it would help.
Reply 3
Original post by MartinMorrison
Well it wouldn't be so hard to move into tech at banks in London after doing that course, if that's what you're interested in. Considering salaries start at around £42000 it's up to you if you want to go into that type of career and don't have a background in programming it would help.

£42000 ?? Half of that is much more realistic , grad jobs are 22k-25k. The advantage is,growing industry so lots of job opprtunities, but the real question is do you want to become a programmer or even go into this industry ?
Original post by dkdeath
£42000 ?? Half of that is much more realistic , grad jobs are 22k-25k. The advantage is,growing industry so lots of job opprtunities, but the real question is do you want to become a programmer or even go into this industry ?

Imperial grad salary average for computing is 35K
Reply 5
Jooooshy, where do you get the 35k figure from?

It seems the industry is growing, however I'm aware that a lot of the bread-and-butter programming jobs are being outsourced overseas. My background is actuarial, so I'd probably look to stay within the financial sector.

I'm going to go for it - wish me luck! :smile: I've got a big C++ book to start working on in preparation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending