The Student Room Group

Am I Being Stupid for Rejecting a L7 Apprenticeship?

I did an internship (FTSE 100 company) in 2nd year and got a return offer to either work ft as a Data Analyst or work as a Data Science apprenticeship where I work for 4 days and study for 1, after 21 months being awarded a MSc in Data Science & AI.

The base salary is £35K, I can work fully remotely although the office (free coffee and a nice skyscraper in central London) is a 45 mins commute on the underground from my family home .

The main drawbacks for me were the fact the awarding unis weren't great being Southampton Solent or Teeside and the fact it is 21 months - being the reason why I chose against it.

The main pros are of course the money, not much need to live the academic lifestyle (no bank holidays & weekends, being broke, revising & studying 5-7 days a week), work experience and a free MSc (as opposed to 12.5K tuition and at least 10K on maintenance at either Uni of Bath or Notts for Data Science).

Total money lost could total 55K before tax. I also went to a decent UG uni with King's College London doing Computer Science.

However, I feel like I am being short-sighted and prioritising short-term pleasure cos I want to remote work on a Greek island instead of stressing in a library on a Saturday over a poorly taught module but therefore having a worse uni on my CV. Then again I've had a friend who did his MSc @ Imperial (BSc @ LSE) and he's not working at FAANG or Goldman or a big/well paying company as a Data Scientist so experience > MSc uni name?
Original post by jumpman123
I did an internship (FTSE 100 company) in 2nd year and got a return offer to either work ft as a Data Analyst or work as a Data Science apprenticeship where I work for 4 days and study for 1, after 21 months being awarded a MSc in Data Science & AI.

The base salary is £35K, I can work fully remotely although the office (free coffee and a nice skyscraper in central London) is a 45 mins commute on the underground from my family home .

The main drawbacks for me were the fact the awarding unis weren't great being Southampton Solent or Teeside and the fact it is 21 months - being the reason why I chose against it.

The main pros are of course the money, not much need to live the academic lifestyle (no bank holidays & weekends, being broke, revising & studying 5-7 days a week), work experience and a free MSc (as opposed to 12.5K tuition and at least 10K on maintenance at either Uni of Bath or Notts for Data Science).

Total money lost could total 55K before tax. I also went to a decent UG uni with King's College London doing Computer Science.

However, I feel like I am being short-sighted and prioritising short-term pleasure cos I want to remote work on a Greek island instead of stressing in a library on a Saturday over a poorly taught module but therefore having a worse uni on my CV. Then again I've had a friend who did his MSc @ Imperial (BSc @ LSE) and he's not working at FAANG or Goldman or a big/well paying company as a Data Scientist so experience > MSc uni name?

Yes you are being short sighted - the reputations of the university means nothing. Doesnt matter to employers - only the degree and your grade in it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending