The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DMBP
Looking on the website (finally updated!:tongue:) it says this year 125 students will be invited for interview based on academic excellence.
Does anyone know what was required last year to get an interview on this basis? Is it just basically all A*s at GCSE and AAAA at AS level?

However I can't see where it says this on the website? All I have found is info about the roles and responsibilities form and the UKCAT
Reply 21
Original post by JMJ_1996
However I can't see where it says this on the website? All I have found is info about the roles and responsibilities form and the UKCAT

It's under Entry Routes & How to Apply, then under the Selection Process tab. Then it talks about shortlisting on that page which is where I saw it :smile:
Hello everyone, a potential Keele medicine applicant here. Could you all please give me a rough indication If I stand a good chance at Keele for 2015, having done horrifically bad in the UKCAT I pretty much can only apply to Keele as my only UKCAT uni. My stats are ok,
GCSE = A*AAA*AAA*AAA*AA*A
AS = AAAA
A2= AA*AA + Distinction, Chem,bio,Business,Maths
However UKCAT = 2370 Band 1 which I know is horrifically bad and has really depressed me and limited my choices :frown:

Having spoken to the admissions tutor she said they give 100 interviews for top academics, and the rest 400 for PS.
If my PS is strong do you think there's any point to Keele or will I be disadvantaged due to my UKCAT.
Thanks,
Reply 23
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum. I am an international applicant and thinking about applying for Keele, what are my chances if anyone wouldn't mind sharing some advice?
I have 4 A*(Chemistry, physics, maths and further maths) in A-level, and I have a 2.1 in my first degree from cambridge in natural sciences. My UKCAT score is 715, band 1(not great, i know). Volunteered in several clinics, pharmacies, hospital wards, elderly care centers, lots of ECs, Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by futuremedic19
Hello everyone, a potential Keele medicine applicant here. Could you all please give me a rough indication If I stand a good chance at Keele for 2015, having done horrifically bad in the UKCAT I pretty much can only apply to Keele as my only UKCAT uni. My stats are ok,
GCSE = A*AAA*AAA*AAA*AA*A
AS = AAAA
A2= AA*AA + Distinction, Chem,bio,Business,Maths
However UKCAT = 2370 Band 1 which I know is horrifically bad and has really depressed me and limited my choices :frown:

Having spoken to the admissions tutor she said they give 100 interviews for top academics, and the rest 400 for PS.
If my PS is strong do you think there's any point to Keele or will I be disadvantaged due to my UKCAT.
Thanks,

You'd be a good applicant for the academic excellence. Also I'd say cardiff was more of a good choice uni for you? They don't look at UKCAT at all. Also I would definitely apply to birmingham
Original post by Wuy
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum. I am an international applicant and thinking about applying for Keele, what are my chances if anyone wouldn't mind sharing some advice?
I have 4 A*(Chemistry, physics, maths and further maths) in A-level, and I have a 2.1 in my first degree from cambridge in natural sciences. My UKCAT score is 715, band 1(not great, i know). Volunteered in several clinics, pharmacies, hospital wards, elderly care centers, lots of ECs, Any advice would be appreciated.

You're UKCAT is not poor at all, in fact it's above average! I would concentrate on unis that value of everything such as nottingham maybe?
You'd be a good applicant for the academic excellence. Also I'd say cardiff was more of a good choice uni for you? They don't look at UKCAT at all. Also I would definitely apply to birmingham

Thanks but Birmingham is a definite no for me, as their very GCSE heavy. I am considering Cardiff, Queens Belfast & Keele. It's difficult to decide between them. Where are you considering ?
Reply 27
You're UKCAT is not poor at all, in fact it's above average! I would concentrate on unis that value of everything such as nottingham maybe?

Thank you. It's just that I haven't done Alevel Biology and I am applying for 5 years course mainly to increase my chances so my choices are quite limited...
Original post by Wuy
Thank you. It's just that I haven't done Alevel Biology and I am applying for 5 years course mainly to increase my chances so my choices are quite limited...

In that case make sure you apply somewhere where you don't need biology although at the majority if med schools you need it to at least AS
Thanks but Birmingham is a definite no for me, as their very GCSE heavy. I am considering Cardiff, Queens Belfast & Keele. It's difficult to decide between them. Where are you considering ?

Well you do get four choices so you can apply to all! I'm thinking bristol, Liverpool, lancaster and either nottingham or keele
So guys what is this 'roles and responsibilities' form all about and what does it involve?
Well you do get four choices so you can apply to all! I'm thinking bristol, Liverpool, lancaster and either nottingham or keele

Yeah but my ukcat score is terrible so kinda wanna avoid UKCAT uni's and want to stick with Liverpool and Lancaster and try Imperial (bmat).
I know this sound like a stupid question but do you reckon it's ok to apply to both Liv/lancs. Both admissions tutors for both uni's said it will be ok when I rang them up. But as they are very similar in their selection, and used to be one medical school it kinda worries me. Do you know of any1 on tsr with offers from both Liverpool and Lancaster
Original post by WesterosWildling
So guys what is this 'roles and responsibilities' form all about and what does it involve?

http://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduatemedicalcourse/entryrouteshowtoapply/
Check this page out, it explains everything and even has the form there.
The form is a major deciding factor when selecting for interview along with the ps. They DONT accept work shadowing in the form, and it must be hands on caring experience or a responsibility you had.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduatemedicalcourse/entryrouteshowtoapply/
Check this page out, it explains everything and even has the form there.
The form is a major deciding factor when selecting for interview along with the ps. They DONT accept work shadowing in the form, and it must be hands on caring experience or a responsibility you had.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Some of the things will be in my ps but that should be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah but my ukcat score is terrible so kinda wanna avoid UKCAT uni's and want to stick with Liverpool and Lancaster and try Imperial (bmat).
I know this sound like a stupid question but do you reckon it's ok to apply to both Liv/lancs. Both admissions tutors for both uni's said it will be ok when I rang them up. But as they are very similar in their selection, and used to be one medical school it kinda worries me. Do you know of any1 on tsr with offers from both Liverpool and Lancaster

I was thinking the same thing and maybe not a few years ago but it would be fine now because they've split off from each other
I was thinking the same thing and maybe not a few years ago but it would be fine now because they've split off from each other

Do you mind sharing your stats, and what med schools you applying to
Do you mind sharing your stats, and what med schools you applying to

Yeah sure. I got 5 A* 6 A at gcse. AAA at AS (I only did three because I did the EPQ but am starting another AS this year) I haven't sat the UKCAT yet but expect to do round about average or just below. I am keen on lancaster, Liverpool, bristol, keele, St Georges and nottingham and will be applying to four of these
Yeah sure. I got 5 A* 6 A at gcse. AAA at AS (I only did three because I did the EPQ but am starting another AS this year) I haven't sat the UKCAT yet but expect to do round about average or just below. I am keen on lancaster, Liverpool, bristol, keele, St Georges and nottingham and will be applying to four of these

Good luck. Just a final note on Liverpool and Lancaster. It seems as if they both want the exact same things from a candidates PS and use the exact same GCSE points system. So basically im assuming that if you get an interview from one you should definitely get one from the other, which seems kinda odd. Then again as they are now separate I will go by their word and apply to both. The risk is that if your PS doesn't suit one it won't suit the other you just be careful on that.
Lancaster use MMI and PBL for teaching.

Liverpool use traditional panel but I think are starting to use CBL.

Btw what sort of stuff are you thinking of putting on the roles and responsibilities form for keele if u apply.
Good luck. Just a final note on Liverpool and Lancaster. It seems as if they both want the exact same things from a candidates PS and use the exact same GCSE points system. So basically im assuming that if you get an interview from one you should definitely get one from the other, which seems kinda odd. Then again as they are now separate I will go by their word and apply to both. The risk is that if your PS doesn't suit one it won't suit the other you just be careful on that.
Lancaster use MMI and PBL for teaching.

Liverpool use traditional panel but I think are starting to use CBL.

Btw what sort of stuff are you thinking of putting on the roles and responsibilities form for keele if u apply.

Not necessarily, I met two people today at lancaster that also applied for Liverpool and neither of them got liverpool interviews which I guess seems slightly weird. I'm not entirely sure bc tbh I've done a lot of volunteering and you can only put four. I think looking after and working with a disabled girl, volunteering at a special needs school, volunteering at a care home, volunteering at a hospital
Reply 39
Not necessarily, I met two people today at lancaster that also applied for Liverpool and neither of them got liverpool interviews which I guess seems slightly weird. I'm not entirely sure bc tbh I've done a lot of volunteering and you can only put four. I think looking after and working with a disabled girl, volunteering at a special needs school, volunteering at a care home, volunteering at a hospital

I imagine there might be more applicants/place for Liverpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending