The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by WesterosWildling
What do you expect the bottom 10% quartile to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not actually a med applicant myself but I have a lot of 'connections' :wink: so I will try and find out for you and let you know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's always well below 500 so you'll be fine
Reply 62

Posted from TSR Mobile

On Keele's website it said last year that would have excluded applicants with (can't remember exactly) about 2200 total and below. Check on UKCAT website as well though
Original post by DMBP
On Keele's website it said last year that would have excluded applicants with (can't remember exactly) about 2200 total and below. Check on UKCAT website as well though

I have 2290. I hope that's enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it probably would be especially with UKCAT averages going down so far but definitely check the UKCAT website. Hope it's fine for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's very likely to be fine as the average score has gone down this year
is there any point me applying? i have 2540.. I’m really hoping scores go down this year :frown:
Reply 67
Original post by blue1211823
is there any point me applying? i have 2540.. I’m really hoping scores go down this year :frown:

You could but if you don't want to risk it you could also look at Lancaster/Bristol and also BMAT universities
Reply 68

I would say yes definitely! The only time they'll use it would be as a tiebreaker so I wouldn't worry, but if you're unsure maybe have a closer look on Keele's website?
Original post by 2018
You could but if you don't want to risk it you could also look at Lancaster/Bristol and also BMAT universities

my GCSEs aren’t that strong unfortunately.. which i am continuously kicking myself for, my A levels were okay at A*AB,

all i can really hope for is that my ukcat score is substantial enough and that the average scores go down > <

(also, im a graduate applicant)
Original post by ashcariba17
Hi everyone I was just wondering about which universities I should apply to, and if I am a good enough applicant to apply to Medicine at all!

At GCSE, I got 6 A*s (in bio, chem, maths, english lit, english lang and physics), and 2 As (in geography and french), and a distinction in ICT OCR National Award Level 2.

At AS-level, I got an A in biology and chemistry, but a B in maths (with mechanics) and physics. I'm dropping physics, and retaking one of the maths modules so hopefully I can get a good A overall in maths.

I'm also doing the EPQ, and I'm hoping for an A*.

I have had work experience in two hospitals and three charity-based volunteering placements. I've also won various awards for subjects at school, etc.

Unfortunately, I mucked up the UKCAT and got 630 :/ SJT Band 1

Which universities do you think I should apply to?

And good luck to all you prospective medics out there too!

Your stats are good!
Dw I understand its difficult choosing med schools. I personally think your ukcat is good enough for you to apply to a lot of places but isn't good enough for really ukcat heavy med schools.

I would have a read of the "How ukcat is used" just type it into Google and its the first link. It is a little outdated but gives an idea of how different med schools use ukcat.

I really want to apply to Cardiff but what worries me is last years cutoff was unusually exceptionally high at 26 out of 27.
Previous years it was 25,23,24.
My score comes to 25 as I have achieved AA*AA + Distinction 3 and aaaa at AS. So they add on certain number of points to your GCSE score. So personally a score below 25 is very risky. You would score 24 if they include distinction and 22 if they dont. 24 may be good enough !!. But again its risky, they said it was 26 ladt year as they had 500 more applications then usual.

You've got good experience and I reckon you can get in this year !!!
Good luck and if you have any questions let me know :smile:

Yeah of course!! They don't look at UKCAT but will get rid of those under about 2190 so you're fine!

I think UKCAT scores are much lower this year. This year there not considering the bottom 10% so I think anything above 2250 is definitely definitely safe for Keele.
Original post by futuremedic19
Your stats are good!
Dw I understand its difficult choosing med schools. I personally think your ukcat is good enough for you to apply to a lot of places but isn't good enough for really ukcat heavy med schools.

I would have a read of the "How ukcat is used" just type it into Google and its the first link. It is a little outdated but gives an idea of how different med schools use ukcat.

I really want to apply to Cardiff but what worries me is last years cutoff was unusually exceptionally high at 26 out of 27.
Previous years it was 25,23,24.
My score comes to 25 as I have achieved AA*AA + Distinction 3 and aaaa at AS. So they add on certain number of points to your GCSE score. So personally a score below 25 is very risky. You would score 24 if they include distinction and 22 if they dont. 24 may be good enough !!. But again its risky, they said it was 26 ladt year as they had 500 more applications then usual.

You've got good experience and I reckon you can get in this year !!!
Good luck and if you have any questions let me know :smile:

Hello! Thank you so much for your reply. They said they wouldn't consider my distinction in ICT because I had 9 GCSEs anyway (a C in Art included...). I was thinking of Leicester, but I'm not quite sure because they are UKCAT heavy too. Do you know of any universities that are not UKCAT- heavy? (apart from the BMAT ones and the ones that don't do either BMAT/UKCAT).

I think your score of 25 is excellent, and I think it would make a competitive application. However, as the cut-off last year was 24/25 (I think!), I'm not so sure about this year. Perhaps look at Nottingham? Or Sheffield?
Hello! Thank you so much for your reply. They said they wouldn't consider my distinction in ICT because I had 9 GCSEs anyway (a C in Art included...). I was thinking of Leicester, but I'm not quite sure because they are UKCAT heavy too. Do you know of any universities that are not UKCAT- heavy? (apart from the BMAT ones and the ones that don't do either BMAT/UKCAT).

I think your score of 25 is excellent, and I think it would make a competitive application. However, as the cut-off last year was 24/25 (I think!), I'm not so sure about this year. Perhaps look at Nottingham? Or Sheffield?

No worries I'm glad I could help. My ukcat is horrifically shocking as I got 2370 band 1. So obviously that rules out a lot of options.
QUB/Cardiff & Keele are the only 3 that don't care about ukcat that much. I'm definitely applying to QUB (Queens belfast) as they give a candidate 36/36 for academics if he either achieved 9A*s at GCSE OR AAAa (with an A in 4th AS). Then add on your ukcat BAND score to your academic score, I'm also applying to liverpool and Lancaster and cant decide between Cardiff or Imperial.
You should consider Dundee/Aberdeen/Barts. And just try the BMAT for like 1 or if your brave 2 med schools. Btw last years cutoff at Cardiff was 26 as I rang up the admissions tutors and they said.
I think you have a great application aswell but just remember to apply smartly :smile:
No worries I'm glad I could help. My ukcat is horrifically shocking as I got 2370 band 1. So obviously that rules out a lot of options.
QUB/Cardiff & Keele are the only 3 that don't care about ukcat that much. I'm definitely applying to QUB (Queens belfast) as they give a candidate 36/36 for academics if he either achieved 9A*s at GCSE OR AAAa (with an A in 4th AS). Then add on your ukcat BAND score to your academic score, I'm also applying to liverpool and Lancaster and cant decide between Cardiff or Imperial.
You should consider Dundee/Aberdeen/Barts. And just try the BMAT for like 1 or if your brave 2 med schools. Btw last years cutoff at Cardiff was 26 as I rang up the admissions tutors and they said.
I think you have a great application aswell but just remember to apply smartly :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice! Don't worry about your UKCAT - your application is really strong :smile: I'm sure you'll be successful into getting into med school this year. Are you considering doing the BMAT? If so, where are you applying? I heard the UKCAT average has gone down this year.. What AS grades did you get if you don't mind me asking? Good luck!!!
Thank you so much for your advice! Don't worry about your UKCAT - your application is really strong :smile: I'm sure you'll be successful into getting into med school this year. Are you considering doing the BMAT? If so, where are you applying? I heard the UKCAT average has gone down this year.. What AS grades did you get if you don't mind me asking? Good luck!!!

Yeah sure. I got 5A*s 8A's at GCSE and AAAA at AS with 90%ums average across my 4 subjects. But all that is the past now. I really messed up my A2 modules as the scrapping of jan exams really messed every1 up but it was my AS high A grades that pulled me through to get my A grades and 1 A*. I would really redo some of your AS just to bank those AAA.

Im definitely choosing QUB/Liverpool/Lancaster.
Btw I did the BMAT last year and was incredibly stupid to apply to 3 BMAT uni's, the BMAT is unbelievably hard, especially the first attempt at doing it. Hopefully second time round I will do betterr but it is by far the hardest thing I have ever done as your mind goes blank in the exam and it's really time pressured and difficult.

For the 4th med school I would most probably choose imperial again and do the BMAT. Imperial have a cutoff score for each section so if you meet that life gets a lot easier, and imperial interview the highest scorers first. Brighton are doing the same thing with the BMAT but instead are only inviting those with the top 400 BMAT scores out of 2000 applicants.

I could choose cardiff or keele instead but haven't decided.

Yeah the UKCAT averages have definitely gone down from last year theres no doubt about it. Its a rare sight seeing someone with a 700+ ave this year, but last year it was quite common.

Which 4 u chossing this year and what are the reasons for your choices ?

Yeah Its a really daunting and annoying process doing all this crap again, especially these admissions tests, but im sure you will pull through.
Please keep in touch, and ask me anything without ever hesitating. I've been through all this :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah sure. I got 5A*s 8A's at GCSE and AAAA at AS with 90%ums average across my 4 subjects. But all that is the past now. I really messed up my A2 modules as the scrapping of jan exams really messed every1 up but it was my AS high A grades that pulled me through to get my A grades and 1 A*. I would really redo some of your AS just to bank those AAA.

Im definitely choosing QUB/Liverpool/Lancaster.
Btw I did the BMAT last year and was incredibly stupid to apply to 3 BMAT uni's, the BMAT is unbelievably hard, especially the first attempt at doing it. Hopefully second time round I will do betterr but it is by far the hardest thing I have ever done as your mind goes blank in the exam and it's really time pressured and difficult.

For the 4th med school I would most probably choose imperial again and do the BMAT. Imperial have a cutoff score for each section so if you meet that life gets a lot easier, and imperial interview the highest scorers first. Brighton are doing the same thing with the BMAT but instead are only inviting those with the top 400 BMAT scores out of 2000 applicants.

I could choose cardiff or keele instead but haven't decided.

Yeah the UKCAT averages have definitely gone down from last year theres no doubt about it. Its a rare sight seeing someone with a 700+ ave this year, but last year it was quite common.

Which 4 u chossing this year and what are the reasons for your choices ?

Yeah Its a really daunting and annoying process doing all this crap again, especially these admissions tests, but im sure you will pull through.
Please keep in touch, and ask me anything without ever hesitating. I've been through all this :smile:

Hey :smile: I'm definitely retaking one of the maths modules that let me down. I'm also doing the EPQ as I hear some med unis really like it. How did you revise for the BMAT? I'm still in the process of eliminating unis and choosing them, and writing my personal statement. I think I am doing the BMAT, but not really sure how to revise. Thanks for your help!
Hey :smile: I'm definitely retaking one of the maths modules that let me down. I'm also doing the EPQ as I hear some med unis really like it. How did you revise for the BMAT? I'm still in the process of eliminating unis and choosing them, and writing my personal statement. I think I am doing the BMAT, but not really sure how to revise. Thanks for your help!

Its a really difficult question. Im sure you will do well. Just buy the official book and practice. As u did all sciences until AS your in a better position. But be careful as for the BMAT you do the test after you've applied so if you mess the test up your getting a straight rejection.
Which uni's are on your mind ?
Thank you :smile: Did you sort of go through GCSE science notes as well? I was thinking Imperial, Bristol, Leeds and one from Queen Mary (London), Keele and Leicester. What do you think about my choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending