The Student Room Group

Reverse snobbery?

Scroll to see replies

Basically you are not happy with the fact there are those that are trying to combat you/your children being able to buy an advantage.
Reply 41
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Bitter.

Universities want the best. Even if that means taking many private school/top state school applicants.

Did you even read what I said? It seems not.
Original post by DylanJ96
Did you even read what I said? It seems not.

You seem to think they choose more state schools and worse off schools because of where they come from.
Bitter.

Universities want the best. Even if that means taking many private school/top state school applicants.

You sure? I mean, say a private schooler gets A*AA and a comp schooler gets A*AA, which do you reckon the university will choose?
Please don't assume my class and position financially from the school I attend - it's very much other than you would expect! It isn't that at all and to say that you completely miss my point.

By 'you' I didn't mean you yourself.

It was aimed at those who send their kids to private schools and then complain when the uni gives slightly lower entry requirement to someone from a state school. They are annoyed that there investment to buy their child an advantage hasn't paid off as much as they would have liked. This probably doesn't apply to you.
Reply 45
You seem to think they choose more state schools and worse off schools because of where they come from.

That's exactly what I think - they favour applicants who go to "worse" schools which could perhaps be understandable but not to the point of being unfair.
Original post by thechemistress
You sure? I mean, say a private schooler gets A*AA and a comp schooler gets A*AA, which do you reckon the university will choose?

It depends on other factors. It is never a clear cut grades decision.

Also I know we disagreed, but you didn't have to ignore all my quotes, thought I was being nice.
The American system does seem to make more sense. As part of music at Newcastle you can study for a year abroad which I might consider. The universities which are our partner institutions are: McGill University (Canada) and University of Illinois, Indiana University and University of Vermont. Apparently McGill and Illinois are among the top 50 globally with McGill being top in Canada? Sounds good to me!

Yes I agree.

You are boasting slightly :smile:
It depends on other factors. It is never a clear cut grades decision.

Also I know we disagreed, but you didn't have to ignore all my quotes, thought I was being nice.

That's true. I just worry I'll be disregarded by most unis because of my educational background (grammar school then private school).

Oh, I'm not ignoring your quotes! xD I've read them, I've just not replied, sorry xD
Original post by solarplexus
Thats why applying to university in the US is better.
1. Not much social engineering. You're either talented or you're not.
2. Unlimited university applications provided you pay.
3. There are so many ethnicities that there is likely to be no positive or negative discrimination.
4. No stupid offer system, they all apply with achieved grades (makes sense does it not).

Umm, the US has explicit affirmative action in many college admissions systems. This is very much unlike the UK, where any such preference are not policy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action_in_the_United_States#Implementation_in_universities

Both if they're both capable. Universities don't really work on a 'how many people can we let in' basis, especially now they can take unlimited number above ABB. They take any students good enough.
Reply 51
Original post by solarplexus
Yes I agree.

You are boasting slightly :smile:

No, you were talking about universities in the US and I mentioned that I could go to one for my year abroad and how I was happy that they seemed to be really good ones on offer. :confused:
Original post by Fizzel
Tbh I think you're just being bitter. If you were all top candidates, you're be prime applicants for any university wanting to up its ratio, because as good as your school is, its still a state school. If you're all awesome, taking you on instead of some private school kid makes that ratio a lot better. Any explanation of taking kids from deprived areas still doesn't explain why you didn't get selected instead of some private school kids. Most of the emphasis on unis is for them to take more state school kids because the ratio of state to private is pretty skewed.

My uni was a pretty crazy spread of people, all backgrounds over all subjects. You get uni's doing random things, I had a friend rejected for our course at Imp and offer a place on their aero course instead. I know a person who ended up with a ridiculous firm and insurance, because all their middle ground uni's rejected them, so just had Cambs and some ex-Poly for Law. I know a guy who won the prize for the best A-levels in the history of our school, amazing personal statement, 5 straight rejections without interview. Unless you know why, which you never will, plenty of decisions can seem illogical. A much more likely reason is simply there is something in the way your wrote your statement that whoever read it didn't like or a feeling you didn't convey, for every person lucky to get an offer there is someone unlucky to get a rejection.

If you think you're a top candidate, reassess, strengthen and reapply.

School references and "behind the scene (telephone) convos" hold the key to this mystery.
Original post by PythianLegume
Both if they're both capable. Universities don't really work on a 'how many people can we let in' basis, especially now they can take unlimited number above ABB. They take any students good enough.

Okay, so if I can show I'm capable and not spoon-fed, I'll have a chance?
No, you were talking about universities in the US and I mentioned that I could go to one for my year abroad and how I was happy that they seemed to be really good ones on offer. :confused:

Idk but it could be misintrepreted as you didn't have to mention "top 50 globally" and top in canada.

Also to be fair, most of the top 10 uk universities are in the top 50 globally :smile:
I think it depends a lot on the course you apply for, and other things not only your grades, I went to a good grammar school and a good sixth form college and came out with good grades but got rejected for 3 out of 5 choices. University's want people who will come out with a good degree, if you're clever and passionate about your subject then I don't think which school you come from is that important I think it wont be one of the top things they look at obviously if people have the same grades, same strength of personal statement and have engaged in the same amount of and relevant extra curricular activities then maybe the school may be considered but it'll be far far down the line. University's need to take in people from different background, that's what makes university great, people from disadvantaged areas should have just as much of a chance as people from more privileged areas.
Okay, so if I can show I'm capable and not spoon-fed, I'll have a chance?

Universities simply don't discriminate against able private school candidates. Everyone has to show they can think for themselves to get into the most competitive universities, that's not exclusive to private schools.
That's true. I just worry I'll be disregarded by most unis because of my educational background (grammar school then private school).

Oh, I'm not ignoring your quotes! xD I've read them, I've just not replied, sorry xD

Grammar shouldn't be discriminated against. Private won't because state schools have access to events that private schools don't, so it's accounted for.
Original post by PythianLegume
Universities simply don't discriminate against able private school candidates. Everyone has to show they can think for themselves to get into the most competitive universities, that's not exclusive to private schools.

Okay, great. I was getting worried about uni applications because of what I'd heard around
Grammar shouldn't be discriminated against. Private won't because state schools have access to events that private schools don't, so it's accounted for.

Like the Nuffield Research Placement thing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending