The Student Room Group

Reverse bay park

I am due to take my practical driving test soon and was wondering about reverse bay parking.

When I have done this with my instructor, we do a hard left while reversing, go past the point of being straight to get as close to the bay line as possible, and then straighten the car out the front of the car and reverse back straight.

When watching videos online, they say to reverse hard left until straight and then straighten the steering and then reverse straight back.

Is there a reason I am being taught the first way and not the other? It works the way I’ve been taught but the other way just looks easier.
Original post by Pixiepop213
I am due to take my practical driving test soon and was wondering about reverse bay parking.

When I have done this with my instructor, we do a hard left while reversing, go past the point of being straight to get as close to the bay line as possible, and then straighten the car out the front of the car and reverse back straight.

When watching videos online, they say to reverse hard left until straight and then straighten the steering and then reverse straight back.

Is there a reason I am being taught the first way and not the other? It works the way I’ve been taught but the other way just looks easier.

There's so many ways to do it so just pick the one that works best for you.

My way of doing it is

- count 3 lines (parking bay lines) from the space you want to back in to
- stop with the 3rd line in the centre of your left/right window
- start reversing and steer fully in that direction straight away
- once in the space start to straighten up

This video explains a really good way to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuDPbDkknRM&ab_channel=AdvanceDrivingSchool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending