The Student Room Group

Getting Stoned

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaveSmith99
It is mildly addictive and does have withdrawal symptoms (I've had them) after extended heavy use, but that doesn't mean it's a gateway drug. As I said above, it makes it easier to get hold of other drugs but there is nothing chemically in cannabis that makes you more likely to want to take other drugs. I've found alcohol to be far more of a 'gateway' drug, when you're drunk you're far more likely to think that taking stuff you'd never normally want to take is a good idea.

That depends on the uncertain definition of gateway drug then, which is pretty much a socially constructed term. Despite whether or not it's a chemical or cultural cause, both weed and alcohol could be considered as gateway drugs in our current culture because they lead people to take other substances. Obviously this is more an argument for legalisation as opposed to against, in this case.
I am sorry but if you start with cannabis and become addicted/dependent then you are a weak minded fool, if you start smoking cannabis and then move onto harder drugs then you are an even weaker minded fool. The only reason people think weed is a gateway drug is because a lot of chavvy teenagers do it as a rebellious thing, then they try to be more rebellious and move on. Weed is no different to fatty foods, it is fine in moderation and, unlike fags or booze, there is no physical dependency.

Why it is illegal astounds me.
I don't mind it, I mean most of my friends smoke it. The problem is that it makes me really lethargic for days after, and to be honest it really does not do my mental health any good. I'm fine with pure sativa strains, but no one ever seems to grow them in the UK :/.
Just don't smoke it near me or try & make me smoke it...
I'm not generally fussed.

Just had an ex who could smoke £20 in a day fairly regularly, (usually £40-£60 a week though).

By the end I hated the damn stuff. Still don't judge people who smoke it though.... I do drink a lot after all :P
(edited 9 years ago)
It's a substance. All types of people do it, and not necessarily lazy layabouts. Some can smoke it all day every day with little negative side effects, as mild as cups of tea, while others can have one joint and become utter wrecks. Probably better off legal so we can tax the problems that arise from its use and ensure those who purchase it are footing the bill correctly.
Original post by ldsbabe
Just my opinion.

The addictiveness of a substance isn't a matter of opinion. You're not entitled to your own version of the facts.
I enjoy getting bouldered :wink: x
Absolutely fine, it's always puzzled me that people who regularly get far more drunk than they should look down on people who smoke it.
Original post by TurboCretin
The addictiveness of a substance isn't a matter of opinion. You're not entitled to your own version of the facts.

I'm entitled to my own personal experiences. Like I've said throughout this thread.
There's nothing wrong with doing (almost) any drug as long as you're educated about it, you know the risks and you know the appropriate time to take them.
Original post by cara12
What does everyone think about stoners, weed and the general subject?

I think it's bloody brilliant and they're some of the most chill people I have ever met in my life.
Original post by Dr DaMan
Absolutely fine, it's always puzzled me that people who regularly get far more drunk than they should look down on people who smoke it.

I've had many a drunk friend lecture me on the harms of cannabis. Seems ironic, given that I am inhaling a harmless plant while they glug down a toxic liquid.
I'm anti-drugs. All of them. From class C-A. I don't care how little marijuana is said to affect you, it's vile and I cannot stand it. I think people who get stoned need to just quit. I would never even talk to someone I knew to take drugs. That might sound really over the top but in my eyes it's just awful. It probably has a lot of bearing on how I have been brought up to be honest.

But yeah, I hate it. In my mind, Marijuana is just as bad as any other drug.

Edit: I think I made a hasty comment with this because some of the posts angered me. I agree with the use of marijuana medically, and wouldn't not talk to a moderated user... I would never do it personally and don't really condone its use but each to their own and everyone has the right to do what they will.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by JayJay-C19
I'm anti-drugs. All of them. From class C-A. I don't care how little marijuana is said to affect you, it's vile and I cannot stand it. I think people who get stoned need to just quit. I would never even talk to someone I knew to take drugs. That might sound really over the top but in my eyes it's just awful. It probably has a lot of bearing on how I have been brought up to be honest.

How do you feel about buggery?

But yeah, I hate it. In my mind, Marijuana is just as bad as any other drug.

I think you have that the wrong way round but that's no excuse for your attitude. I can't imagine many people would be upset if someone like you didn't want to speak to them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
Not really my thing but I do think that it should be legalised for both medicinal and recreational use.
Original post by pane123
I think you have that the wrong way round but that's no excuse for your attitude. I can't imagine many people would be upset if someone like you didn't want to speak to them.

I had a good upbringing thank you.

I knew that I'd have people completely go at me for not agreeing with marijuana.
Original post by n00
How do you feel about buggery?

I don't have an issue with anal sex. I also believe people can do what they will. If they want to smoke cannabis then they can but I would not want to be around anyone who does that.
I had a good upbringing thank you.

I knew that I'd have people completely go at me for not agreeing with marijuana.

It's quite obvious you did not. I'm not asking you to agree with it but I think your life would much easier if you didn't try to get through it riding your high horse.

Quick Reply

Latest