The Student Room Group

GCSE Astronomy Paper 1 2023

How was it? What answers did you get?

(I messed up the asterism one and put the Southern Cross instead of Orion, goodbye 1 mark)
Reply 1
I thought it went reasonably well, but I was stuck on the question about the standing stones in Scotland. I'm curious as to what other people put for that question.
What did you guys think of the description of the moon by that random man, where it described it as a throbbing snake 😭?
For the stones in Scotland I think I put sunset at midsummer bc it was multiple choice but I wasn’t exactly sure
How much have you revised for paper 2?
Original post by oljo888

(I messed up the asterism one and put the Southern Cross instead of Orion, goodbye 1 mark)

I thought the Southern Cross was an asterism and Orion was a constellation?
Reply 5
Original post by matildaeeeee
I thought the Southern Cross was an asterism and Orion was a constellation?

yes Southern cross is an asterism
Reply 6
Original post by oljo888

it went alr, what did you get for the last question where the mass was 3 times bigger for keplers third law? I got 1.9 i think
Reply 7
Original post by mishy7342
it went alr, what did you get for the last question where the mass was 3 times bigger for keplers third law? I got 1.9 i think

i got 1.9 too 💪💪

i was confused by that question so i'm glad to see someone else put the same answer
Original post by mishy7342

oh no i got 1.1 i just divided 3.3 by 3 because i couldn’t think what else to do 😭 how did you guys work it out?
Reply 9
Original post by 0gg
i got 1.9 too 💪💪

i was confused by that question so i'm glad to see someone else put the same answer

awesome
Reply 10
oh no i got 1.1 i just divided 3.3 by 3 because i couldn’t think what else to do 😭 how did you guys work it out?

the constant in kepler's third law is inversely proportional to the mass of the central body, and in this question the central body (the star) was 3x more massive than the first one. That means the constant for that star should be 3x smaller. In the question just before that you had to work out the constant i think (T^2/r^3) so you just divide that by 3, set it equal to T^2/r^3 and sub in the value for the radius, and solve for T which shouldve gotten you 1.905 ish. Super long winded question though, wasnt completely sure about my answer after that
Reply 11
Original post by oljo888

I swear I’ve failed
Reply 12
How did paper 2 go for everyone? I was hoping for more maths but there was hardly any.
Reply 13
What did you guys think of paper 2?
Reply 14
Original post by Gigi7890
What did you guys think of paper 2?

i thought it was harder. i know i flubbed the nebulae question.

what did you get for the drake equation multiple choice? (i put a) and what did you think of the paper?
guys i just remembered ab this lol what grades did everyone get :smile:
Reply 16
guys i just remembered ab this lol what grades did everyone get :smile:

competent forgot about this haha
6 9s, 2 8s and 3 7s (one of the 7s in astronomy) which i was disappointed with as i hoped for better

what about you?
Reply 17
Original post by oljo888
competent forgot about this haha
6 9s, 2 8s and 3 7s (one of the 7s in astronomy) which i was disappointed with as i hoped for better

what about you?

your grades are nuts!!! i got 44567888 in year 11, and did astronomy in year 12 (am now in year 13) and got a 7 too (:
omg i also got a 7 in astronomy, literally don't know anyone who got above a 7 ahaha
well done on both of your guys's grades - i'm in y11 and took astronomy in y10 so fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Latest