The Student Room Group

GP work experience

So I'm currently writing a letter to the manager of my local GP to get some work experience and I was wondering what I should write? Do I need to include a CV or would I include things like hobbies and past work experience in my letter?

Also can anyone share their GP work experience? Like what exactly you did and for how long?

Thanks.
Why are you writing a letter? It would be much easier to phone and ask to speak to them or to pop-in and try to speak in person.

For work-experience in a GP, you tend not to require anything apart from a CRB (some GPs are OK without it) and sometimes an informal interview.

As for what to do, you will most likely end up doing admin or secretarial work. If you're lucky you may get to learn the basics of clerking. I only sat in with the GP a few times during a week's shadowing and most patients kicked me out regardless; as such, without any medical knowledge, this isn't useful anyway. So in essence, you want to learn the importance of primary care, how it works, what doesn't work, what needs changing etc... There is a lot you can take home.
Agreeing with the poster above, it would probably be better to call them up than to write a letter - just as it will probably be quicker!

I did three days of work experience with a GP and spent the majority of time observing consultations. The GP also taught me how to use the old fashioned sphyg to take people's blood pressure and let me practice on a few of his patients. We also went on a few home visits. I didn't really get kicked out of many consultations..it's just pot-luck really, as it is the patient's choice whether to have you in there or not. If you go to a GP practice which is used to having work experience or medical students then they may be more amenable to it :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Kyalimers

Original post by toffeecrisp_

Thanks guys. I did phone but they told me to email the practice manager instead as they are incharge of the kind of thing.
Original post by Manexopi
Thanks guys. I did phone but they told me to email the practice manager instead as they are incharge of the kind of thing.

Then just e-mail. No need to write a letter and/or attach it. Just ask whether they allow students to do WE and what you have to do if they do allow it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending