The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
MALNIASREASINSUN
honestly would you do intervene to stop the abuse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhIwLgNsfwI&mode=related&search=

That's quite shocking actually.

I think I would almost certainly intervene, but I think the more crowded the area in which the incident is taking place, the less likely it is for ordinary members of the public to intervene.
Reply 2
Bystander Behaviour and all that....
Reply 3
Clarence
Bystander Behaviour and all that....

Yes, exactly.
Thats one example of why the british public should feel ashamed of themselves. That was obviously a situation which wasn't violent and so if a man stepped in and intevened then no harm would come to him. But instead of people helping who clearly were able to they just walked past, and one man even found it funny.

People like that should be ashamed of themselves and perhaps one day it wouldn't be a bad thing if something similar happened to them.

Of course I would intervene, so long as the situation was safe I wouldn't think twice about it. Its just such a shame that people don't feel an obligation to help.

There the appropriate thing to do would probably just to go up to the muslim woman and move her away from the trouble.

Oh and if anyones noticed the film was made by a muslim group- make of that what you will.
I think I would, but it's hard to tell, until we're in such situations; I'd probably have the fear that they'd simply carry on, as well as attacking me, verbally. I'd actually be more comfortable, in a way, were it to be two guys insulting a Muslim woman, as I'd feel I was going to be dubbed the 'bad guy', by being a man arguing with a woman.
Reply 6
guccilittlepiggy
Thats one example of why the british public should feel ashamed of themselves. That was obviously a situation which wasn't violent and so if a man stepped in and intevened then no harm would come to him. But instead of people helping who clearly were able to they just walked past, and one man even found it funny.

People like that should be ashamed of themselves and perhaps one day it wouldn't be a bad thing if something similar happened to them.

Of course I would intervene, so long as the situation was safe I wouldn't think twice about it. Its just such a shame that people don't feel an obligation to help.

There the appropriate thing to do would probably just to go up to the muslim woman and move her away from the trouble.

Oh and if anyones noticed the film was made by a muslim group- make of that what you will

Probably biased.
Reply 7
I find it rather biased, they didnt show it done with her dressed normaly, it would have been the same.
Reply 8
I'd say I'd intervene in a situation like this.

But say it was 2/3 agressive men - sadly not as I doubt I'd be backed up by other members of the public
Reply 9
Jokerman
I find it rather biased, they didnt show it done with her dressed normaly, it would have been the same.

yeh i dont think people didnt say anything because she was wearing a scarf or whatever the film said at the beginning it was more a general didnt say anything because people dont like to intervene in any situation
it was done by an islamic group yes, but that doesnt mean its overtly biased in the results, it howed four instances in all takes it takes several moments for intervention to occcur and in one of them no one intercedes.

You see the old man push the blond woman in the fourth instance, under UK law hes guilty of assualt. We have no good samiratn law here. I think thats part of it as well. Despite the actions of the two bullies if the police saw this they would assume a somewhat more agressive stace in the intervening couple. As honest memebers of the public we have now come to realise that UK law favours the criminal
I stopped a robber once :proud:
Reply 12
Yes I would intervene and stop the abuse. These idiots need to grow up.
Reply 13
It was not real coolworld...

I also find it interesting that an advert for an islamic conversion site scrolled across halfway through...

I would intervene certainly. More for the selfish reason I'd feel like an utter ****e if I just walked by something like that. Truth be told though, if the two had been blokes I may well have prefered the guilt to the possible beating :redface:.

In the end its about pride, how can you walk past that kind of thing, and still have any pride in yourself as a person?

You've also got to factor in its most likely you and the muslim women who would have been prosecuted too..
Reply 14
Yep, I was just going to say is this some sort of hidden advert for people to go to www.turntoislam.com...
straaaange
Reply 15
Also, they chose to do it in southend..no offence to anyone here but alot of the people there wouldnt want to get involved with that, and most probably share the same opinions and thoughts of the 'abusers'. Im not saying everyone in southend is like that..but its hardly the middle of london, where i think they would have had more of a reaction.
Stupidest video I ever saw in my life.

For a start, as has been said, there would need to be a 'control' taken to see if the abuse would be stopped more often had she been a white British female or whatever.

Second, why would anyone care about words? They're just words... on the video the woman says 'but she looked vulnerable'. I have to say for one, that I wouldn't step in on any sort of name calling like that. People have to look after their own business in my opinion. It was a bit of verbal abuse no worse than anyone has ever received in their life and often have had no protection from.

Whereas if it was physical harm then I'd start to question the video..... as I know for one that I wouldn't let it pass if it came to violence.
Words don't necessarily amount to violence so don't go that route neither.

Rating 2/10
Reply 17
tehjonny
In the end its about pride, how can you walk past that kind of thing, and still have any pride in yourself as a person?

Indeed.
Reply 18
FeedTheGoat
Stupidest video I ever saw in my life.

For a start, as has been said, there would need to be a 'control' taken to see if the abuse would be stopped more often had she been a white British female or whatever.

Second, why would anyone care about words? They're just words... on the video the woman says 'but she looked vulnerable'. I have to say for one, that I wouldn't step in on any sort of name calling like that. People have to look after their own business in my opinion. It was a bit of verbal abuse no worse than anyone has ever received in their life and often have had no protection from.

Whereas if it was physical harm then I'd start to question the video..... as I know for one that I wouldn't let it pass if it came to violence.
Words don't necessarily amount to violence so don't go that route neither.

Rating 2/10

I strongly believe in individual autonomy, but I think an omission in such a situation is morally wrong.
Reply 19
I dont think i would intervene. its one thing saying you would when you watch a video, and another actually doing it when your walkin past and maybe not understanding it. Isn't it unlikely that the woman didn't move away. I'm not saying this doesnt go on but i havnt seen it. I get ginger shouted at me by people i don't know, all the time - nobody does anythin about that

Latest

Trending

Trending