The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As people have said, there is no basis for comparison, as there was no 'control' taken. It's often said that people are not as friendly and helpful towards others, in certain situations in public, as they once were; I think the Muslim organisation who produced this film have exploited this fact, in an attempt to suggest the existence of prejudice against Muslims; it does seem shocking as to how little support she received from members of the public, and the fact that she was wearing a headscarf could be seen to be a reason for this, but I think that the situation would have been no different, had it been a 'normal' woman; the results would have been shocking, with or without the headscarf, but many will be too quick to use the headscarf as an explanation.

It's interesting how they used a white woman; makes one wonder why. Also, I can't help thinking that members of the public would have been able to tell that it wasn't an Asian woman; this lessens the implications, as regards racism, and may have affected the results. People may even have thought her not to be a Muslim (even though, obviously, white people can convert to Islam), and perhaps a few might have been suspicious as to the whole thing. Although she looked vulnerable, it possibly also looked suspect how she had ample opportunity to walk away from her abusers, yet was standing there and taking it.....various things such as these seem like they may be deliberate, in an attempt to influence the results, to make the situation seem more prejudiced against Muslims; this organisation is probably biased, and wants to portray such a situation of prejudice. After all, if they're so convinced that the fact that she appeared to be a Muslim (supposedly) would be a contributing factor, as regards a lack of support, it's very strange how they didn't then take the headscarf off, and go again.......
Reply 21
I don't think i would intervene either... other than the fact you don't know the whole situation and they could know each other and having a public argument and at the end of the day the person who is being verbally abused can walk away... its like at school how many people intervene when they know someone is being bullied? Not many people do get involved... unless you know the people on both sides! As you don't know how either person will react.
I probably would have intervened in that instance as it all seemed pretty tame, but then again i've seen worse on a street and not intervened, people say they would have intervened in instances of violence, I would have said that but when it came down to it I just couldn't as i'd mentally risk assesed the situation and just walked on. Sounds selfish but hey at least im honest, lots of people like to fantasise they would walk on in but in reality how many would?
Bluelight
I probably would have intervened in that instance as it all seemed pretty tame, but then again i've seen worse on a street and not intervened, people say they would have intervened in instances of violence, I would have said that but when it came down to it I just couldn't as i'd mentally risk assesed the situation and just walked on. Sounds selfish but hey at least im honest, lots of people like to fantasise they would walk on in but in reality how many would?

I know I would. I've done it on at least 3 ocassions. One particular one I remember was this bald stocky bloke with a load of tattoos who must have been at least 25 was attacking this lad who must have been about 18 who was much smaller than him and had a look of absolute fear. This was in a club and the whole place started to move as this guy went for him. I restrained the big guy without really thinking and tried to calm him down. Strangely though it was the kid that got thrown out lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending