The Student Room Group

How to be British?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yeah. American culture isn't perfect but prefer it to British

Out of interest, which particular American culture are you referring to?

It has been suggested that there are up to 11 distinct cultural identities within the USA alone; for example the Deep South is totally distinct from the West Coast.

I'm pretty sure that a homogeneous "American Culture" doesn't actually exist.
Original post by just a dad
Out of interest, which particular American culture are you referring to?

It has been suggested that there are up to 11 distinct cultural identities within the USA alone; for example the Deep South is totally distinct from the West Coast.

I'm pretty sure that a homogeneous "American Culture" doesn't actually exist.

No that's fair enough.

I'm particularly referring to the culture that exists in large American cities, I don't really know how to describe it
No that's fair enough.

I'm particularly referring to the culture that exists in large American cities, I don't really know how to describe it

I've spent quite a bit of time in the USA, and have family living there, and it's fair to say that New York (for example) is totally different to Los Angeles (for example) is totally different to Dallas (for example) is totally different to New Orleans (for example).

There is no one American city culture. Please, I'm not trying to be awkward, just curious as to which US (assuming we're not talking Canada) city or cities you most closely identify with.
I've spent quite a bit of time in the USA, and have family living there, and it's fair to say that New York (for example) is totally different to Los Angeles (for example) is totally different to Dallas (for example) is totally different to New Orleans (for example).

There is no one American city culture. Please, I'm not trying to be awkward, just curious as to which US (assuming we're not talking Canada) city or cities you most closely identify with.

I don't think you're bring awkward :smile:

For me personally New York. I feel it's my spirit home. However any American city I feel better with than the UK. But yeah New York for me. :love: the fashion, the people, the architecture, the fast paced ness, everything
Be a chav, complain about the weather, always have shortbread/crumpets fully stocked in your house, have a kettle ?idk
I don't think you're bring awkward :smile:

For me personally New York. I feel it's my spirit home. However any American city I feel better with than the UK. But yeah New York for me. :love: the fashion, the people, the architecture, the fast paced ness, everything

Thanks, New York certainly has its own distinct feel.
Not my preference to be honest, I'm more a West Coast type, but I know that you are not alone.
What I would say is that New York is very different to whole swathes of the States!
Thanks, New York certainly has its own distinct feel.
Not my preference to be honest, I'm more a West Coast type, but I know that you are not alone.
What I would say is that New York is very different to whole swathes of the States!

How would you define West Coast culture?
Original post by GnomeMage
just....how?

This brilliant animation sums it up
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/history10/
if you visit us in wales for a while you will honestly learn how to complain and enjoy doing it. Why not?
How would you define West Coast culture?

Probably something like liberal, free thinking, open-minded, a nice mix of intelligence and laid back. But even then there is a clear difference between the south and the north. San Diego =/= Seattle.
Reply 90
Original post by theOldBean
This brilliant animation sums it up
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/history10/

what are they saying lol
Original post by GnomeMage
what are they saying lol

pretty hard to tell, isn't it :P
The sounds are made by the guy speaking whilst holding his tongue, hence the unintelligibility. Luckily there are speech bubbles to help.
Original post by 29Bilal96
Become a football expert when the World Cup starts

This one isn't true, it's the national sport most people watch it more than just when the World Cup is on.
Original post by Wilfred Little
This one isn't true, it's the national sport most people watch it more than just when the World Cup is on.

I wouldn't say most
Original post by manchesterunited15
I wouldn't say most

I would. Most people will watch football at some point when the WC isn't on.
I would. Most people will watch football at some point when the WC isn't on.

If you mean half watch it while it's on in the background every few weeks in the pub, yeah. If you mean actually watch it, enough to be anything close to a "football expert", I doubt it.
There's two types of British. The posh British. Who sit there drinking cups of tea all day complaining about the weather. And the chav british. Who swear in every sentence and live in council estate flats off benefits.
Original post by manchesterunited15
If you mean half watch it while it's on in the background every few weeks in the pub, yeah. If you mean actually watch it, enough to be anything close to a "football expert", I doubt it.

He tried to make it sound like nobody is arsed about it until the World Cup is on which is obviously not true and even if he specifically meant 'expert' (and judging by the content of the football forum there are plenty who watch it every week who are nowhere near being football experts) how does that only apply to us? Pretty sure people from all countries come out of the woodwork during international tournaments.

Look at Americans for example.
He tried to make it sound like nobody is arsed about it until the World Cup is on which is obviously not true and even if he specifically meant 'expert' (and judging by the content of the football forum there are plenty who watch it every week who are nowhere near being football experts) how does that only apply to us? Pretty sure people from all countries come out of the woodwork during international tournaments.

Look at Americans for example.

Indeed, was just saying it's not most people that watch it regularly. Most guys aged 18-30? Probably.

Quick Reply

Latest