The Student Room Group

Why do the cops drive Insignias?

Today at the lights I noticed a Vauxhall Insignia in front of me. It didn't sport a CDTI badge like 95% of cars that size, but had "turbo" written on the back. Then I saw some unlit lights on the back screen and a copper at the wheel. Bodykit standard so not a VXR.

I see that the fastest turbo petrol packs 246 bhp
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/vauxhall/insignia/hatchback-2009/61396/

which is enough to outrun the majority of cars on the road. But Vauxhall's are not known for their handling. Why drive Insignias over say a BMW 335d or 535d?
I saw an unmarked Hyundai i20 the other day, I can't imagine that's up to much, but it had pulled over a golf with a very shocked looking driver.

Anyway, guess costs have something to do with it, and maybe they need to mix things up.
Reply 2
Lots of Mondeos up in Scotland, but the fast petrol Vectras and Insignias are popular because the are cheap and reliable!

Had a go in an Insignia 2.0T, they do not hang about.
Original post by FuelBowser
Today at the lights I noticed a Vauxhall Insignia in front of me. It didn't sport a CDTI badge like 95% of cars that size, but had "turbo" written on the back. Then I saw some unlit lights on the back screen and a copper at the wheel. Bodykit standard so not a VXR.

I see that the fastest turbo petrol packs 246 bhp
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/vauxhall/insignia/hatchback-2009/61396/

which is enough to outrun the majority of cars on the road. But Vauxhall's are not known for their handling. Why drive Insignias over say a BMW 335d or 535d?

Police drivers tend to be very well trained thus the difference between a good and a not that great handling car is minimal.

Vauxhall does give most police fleets very good discounts, on some cars it is up to half off. Cheap advertising for them as nothing is a better advertisement than the police using your cars as it can only mean certain amount of durability and reliability to it.
The ones in the West Midlands are debadged from the rear, with most having Opel badges on the front due to damage on the original grill/badge, hence cheap Opel replacement.

Anyway they're only the 130bhp Autos around here. Not even fitted with ANPR!

The 160bhps are reasonably quick. They use the 335s/535s for the more interesting stuff which are fitted with ANPR. Then the useless Skoda Octavias, granted they're for moving the dogs around.

There's also some crap with London plates recently. Those being a few Focus/S-Max's.

Then of course the marked Peugeot 308s, soon to be scrapped hopefully, and the vast unmarked Corsas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's also worth noting that a lot of the police cars here are remapped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Was always unmarked Oktavia VRs' when I used to live near the station.
Reply 7
We have old Focus estates and previous generation Astras :P
Reply 8
Round here they drive marked and unmarked BMW E60 M5's, the odd X3 and then the village station has a couple of Vauxhall Corsa's for visits I presume.
Vaxuhall insignia get discount for poloce so this is why they use them50 grand police so bad man they cant even catch a theif
Presumably because they get a fleet discount from Vauxhall. Hence all the Corsa's for the local teams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending