The Student Room Group

Blackbox in an automatic first car

I'm thinking of buying a vauxhall insignia off my cousin. It's a decent car his giving me a good price for it however insurance is 4k 😢 but it's 2k with blackbox what will the blackbox do and is it worth it?
Reply 1
The blackbox monitors your speed it can also detect harsh braking. If you exceed the speed limits this can affect your insurance policy and the insurer can also decline your policy too.

I would advise getting it, i'm not sure how old you are but i decided not to get one when i was 17 as the difference in price was not as significant as yours and lets just say i've not done myself any favours as i now have 6 points on my licence lol.

Having a blackbox for a year is not a big deal if it's cheaper and this is not something i would advise but you can unplug the blackbox, however if you were to be involved in an accident and the blackbox was not plugged in this would invalidate your insurance policy.

If i was you i'd just get it.
It's hard to answer, as you will have been told insurance is priced on your circumstances. But I personally wouldn't pay that to insure a Vauxhall and would worry I was paying way over the odds. My 1st car (Corsa) was about £8-900 so between your younger age and different postcode, you are being asked x5 as much. (Is £4k more or less what the car costs?)

I'd try quotes for some other cars as they might just really not like that one and its not a good deal if you need to pay extra 1000s down the drain (possibly for years) when I fit passed I wanted a Renault Clio as I leaned in one, but insurance was x2 the Corsa for some reason despite a v similar car.

I'd never get black box, it gives the insurer way too much power imo. I've just heard way way too many tales of 'I love my black box policy, oh... right up until I got that letter cancelling it and essentially putting me off the road' (It's half the price for a reason)
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Rohan007best
I'm thinking of buying a vauxhall insignia off my cousin. It's a decent car his giving me a good price for it however insurance is 4k 😢 but it's 2k with blackbox what will the blackbox do and is it worth it?

I personally wouldnt touch a black box with a 10 foot bargepole.
I was offered insurance with a blackbox on different vehicles for around £2k with an engine size 1 to 1.8. Found a vehicle with an engine size 2, when I saw the insurance for it, it was under £900 without a blackbox. Companies with blackboxes their quotes that were showing around £1.5k. Also it was my first car so I got a nice deal on it.

Personally I don't like blackboxes but if you can't fit it in your budget go for it.
Reply 5
Go for a blackbox if it saves you £2k, why not. It is actually sensible to drive within the speed limit and not like an idiot. This said I’d speak to a good broker, like A Plan, and see if they can get you a better deal, £2k !!
I had a black box for my first year of driving, my first car was an 04 VW Polo auto and Autosaint was my insurer. Honestly, it wasn't terrible but you do have to take exceeding levels of care, overtaking on the motorway becomes an abstract concept unless you enjoy scalding emails from your insurer. After the year was up, prices dropped significantly (compared to the initial £1600 I paid for year 1) and I took the hit and opted for insurance without telematics.

That's not to say I now drive like a maniac, but it certainly takes the edge off knowing your every move isn't being transmitted back to your insurer. For one year I think it's worth it considering the prices you're contending with.

Edit: can't believe I missed this thread being 3 weeks old, sorry. :frown:
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending