The Student Room Group

Pulled out in front of cycilist on roundabout, I'm in my first 2 Years of driving.

So today I was approaching a roundabout, and to my right, there was a cyclist coming. In the moment I decided to go because I thought I'd have plenty of time, but actually the exit the cyclist was coming from my down a hill. We didn't make contact and I don't think he swerved or anything but it was a little close. I'm worried he had a GoPro on and will report me, I really don't want to lose my license.
You wouldn't lose your licence for this even if they did have a gopro and decided to report it.
Reply 2
Sadly the acts of poor driving by newly qualified driving are numerous and quite jaw dropping.

Nines times out of ten it probably wouldn't warrant the cyclist sending their GoPro off to the cop shop as the poor cyclist is probably used to far far worse, and saves the only best bits for reporting (Even if they had a working GoPro) But if you had started making non audible warning signs after the event to the cyclist of other rude gestures he might have done.

I think you are fairly safe (Traffic Gods in a good mood) - Get some 'P' plates on regardless of how close you are to your
2 years being up (they cover a multitude of sins)

If you make a mistake or judge something close, just a left hand raised held as a 'sorry' - an acknowledgement of the transgression will go a long way to smooth ruffled feathers and make someone back away off your bumper. We have all made mistakes, all cut someone up and cut a judgement a bit fine. It goes with the territory. If someone does something good to help you - thank them.
Reply 3
Everyone makes mistakes at times, didn't gesture at him or anything as it was totally my fault. I personally am not a fan of P plates, even when I first passed, you just get even more people tailgating you and trying to show off. This can just be a learning experience, if it looks close don't chance it :biggrin:

Original post by Muttly
Sadly the acts of poor driving by newly qualified driving are numerous and quite jaw dropping.

Nines times out of ten it probably wouldn't warrant the cyclist sending their GoPro off to the cop shop as the poor cyclist is probably used to far far worse, and saves the only best bits for reporting (Even if they had a working GoPro) But if you had started making non audible warning signs after the event to the cyclist of other rude gestures he might have done.

I think you are fairly safe (Traffic Gods in a good mood) - Get some 'P' plates on regardless of how close you are to your
2 years being up (they cover a multitude of sins)

If you make a mistake or judge something close, just a left hand raised held as a 'sorry' - an acknowledgement of the transgression will go a long way to smooth ruffled feathers and make someone back away off your bumper. We have all made mistakes, all cut someone up and cut a judgement a bit fine. It goes with the territory. If someone does something good to help you - thank them.
Reply 4
Original post by blueguy321
Everyone makes mistakes at times, didn't gesture at him or anything as it was totally my fault. I personally am not a fan of P plates, even when I first passed, you just get even more people tailgating you and trying to show off. This can just be a learning experience, if it looks close don't chance it :biggrin:

You do sound very blase about making mistakes?
If you don't give enough time or care at junctions and continue to make potentially serious mistakes then at some stage even without P plates you are likely to have a crash due to not looking properly. Your mindset and attitude to driving with consideration toward others is probably more important in the first two years than P plates will ever be. That is why the licensing revocation scheme is in place.
Yes my guy, keep up the good work. 👊🏾
Reply 6
How is not wanting P plates because I'll get bullied and tail gated by other drivers blase? I have owned up and said I was in the wrong, I don't see the issue.
Original post by Muttly
If you don't give enough time or care at junctions and continue to make potentially serious mistakes then at some stage even without P plates you are likely to have a crash due to not looking properly. Your mindset and attitude to driving with consideration toward others is probably more important in the first two years than P plates will ever be. That is why the licensing revocation scheme is in place.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttly

Besides, this is one incident out of very few may I add. I'm sure you're not a perfect driver either, no one is.
Reply 8
Original post by blueguy321
So today I was approaching a roundabout, and to my right, there was a cyclist coming. In the moment I decided to go because I thought I'd have plenty of time, but actually the exit the cyclist was coming from my down a hill. We didn't make contact and I don't think he swerved or anything but it was a little close. I'm worried he had a GoPro on and will report me, I really don't want to lose my license.

Don't worry about it, accidents happen. Cyclists are used to it too. I say this as someone who has has been knocked off my bicycle by someone pulling out on me, and also as someone who has accidentally pulled out on a few cyclists over the years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending