The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sugarcanepenguin
What about Imperial College? My friend it studying medicine there and says that it's super cool :smile:

Let's put it this way - I have friends over there, and from what they tell me it seems like what they do in 8 weeks, we do in 3. It's pretty hectic in Cambridge, and the workload is overwhelming....

...totally worth it though, if you're into the subject. The course makes sure you turn into a walking encyclopedia at the end of your year.
Original post by UrbanPapaya
That's pretty solid, do your A2 and get brilliant results (4A*s or 3A*s at the least). Work hard on your interview prep, and you have a good chance of getting in.

Thank you!
I submitted my ucas application earlier this month, do you think they will give me an interview? Or do they interview everyone? And if I smash my interview do you think I can get a conditional offer?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by UrbanPapaya
Let's put it this way - I have friends over there, and from what they tell me it seems like what they do in 8 weeks, we do in 3. It's pretty hectic in Cambridge, and the workload is overwhelming....

...totally worth it though, if you're into the subject. The course makes sure you turn into a walking encyclopedia at the end of your year.

Sounds great - does that mean you learn loads of stuff they don't learn over in London?
Dare I ask a few things if you're still connected to TSR?
Can you remember when you received your interview invitation to SE and share a bit about what the interview was like?
Also, were you a graduate applying as an affiliated student?
Do you know what made the difference - work experience, your degree, your A-level results, BMAT results etc. - and also whether you're happy at St. Edmund's?
Last but not least, would you happen to know whether someone applying as an affiliated student, if not given an interview/offer, would be pooled to all colleges for the full 6-year course or only at mature colleges?
Original post by barrinalo
International applicant here,

I got an offer from St. Edmund's

Can you remember when you received your interview invitation to SE and share a bit about what the interview was like?
Do you know what made the difference - work experience, your degree, your A-level results, BMAT results etc. - and also whether you're happy at St. Edmund's?
Last but not least, would you happen to know whether someone applying as an affiliated student, if not given an interview/offer, would be pooled to all colleges for the full 6-year course or only at mature colleges?
Original post by HELIMERE

Hi,

I dont remembr when i received my interview invitation, but was interviewed overseas so that was around late october for me?

I am a mature student and I honestly dont know what made the difference because there is no feedback about the interview etc.

Im quite satisfied with st edmunds, but they do tend to have a very small intake, so if you want more fellow medics in your college st eds is not that good.

I cant really answer you other questions as i think they apply to graduate students
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by barrinalo
Hi,

I dont remembr when i received my interview invitation, but was interviewed overseas so that was around late october for me?

I am a mature student and I honestly dont know what made the difference because there is no feedback about the interview etc.

Im quite satisfied with st edmunds, but they do tend to have a very small intake, so if you want more fellow medics in your college st eds is not that good.

I cant really answer you other questions as i think they apply to graduate students

Thanks for the prompt reply: I'm aware of the small intake but am hoping there are ways and means of making friends with medics in other colleges with whom one takes classes, as well of course as getting to know people doing other courses which should be good for keeping a balanced approach to life and studies?
Finally, If you had to estimate the average age of fellow-students would it be nearer 25 or 30? Promise I won't keep up a barrage of questions!
Original post by HELIMERE
Thanks for the prompt reply: I'm aware of the small intake but am hoping there are ways and means of making friends with medics in other colleges with whom one takes classes, as well of course as getting to know people doing other courses which should be good for keeping a balanced approach to life and studies?
Finally, If you had to estimate the average age of fellow-students would it be nearer 25 or 30? Promise I won't keep up a barrage of questions!

Definitely you can make friends outside of college and in other courses. Here is a link to the st edmund's website for information on demorgraphics.
http://www.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk/freshers-st-edmund%E2%80%99s
Original post by Choyster54
4 weeks total in 3 hospitals. Just in case you're interested :
A) write cover letter and CV
B) pick a hospital department
C) send to all consultants (copy and pste names via excel)
D) if no place then repeat at another department
E) if still nothing then repeat at another hospital
Many will throw them in the bin (they are v busy ofc), but hopefully you will reach a few that willbread them through and maybe one will say yes :smile:

Thanks for the advice.
xoxoxo
Hi I am currently in year 12 and I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Religious Studies at AD level. I got 12 A* and 2 A's in my GCSE's. In terms of work experience, I have only done 2 weeks of shadowing a doctor. What else should I do to make my application strong?
Original post by aprocrastinator
Got an offer at Downing! I'm so shocked omg!

Did you first get the offer by email or post ?
Original post by AlloSlayer
A*A*A offer from Downing College

:biggrin:

Did you get it by email or post first?
Original post by DCMed96
Rejection by Downing, Cheers guys. Just need some thumbs up to cheer me up now ....
Anyone firming Imperial?

Original post by lfcrules

You can ask for email, email usually comes first
Reply 974
I intend to do a gap year next year and apply to cambridge at the same time since I didn't apply for it this year. Please could some kind sir/madam here tell me if A2 UMS is just as important as it was for AS. For example, would getting 3A*s be sufficient, or must they be really high A*s?
Original post by cazmasetro
I'm going to be a cambridge medicine fresher this october. I had 93% UMS average at your point in time, so don't worry.

what were your GCSEs and work experience like? =)
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
I've got no idea sorry :frown: I'm technically doing three as Cambridge don't acknowledge my maths A-level because I completed it in year 12.

Could I ask what subjects you're doing?

Sorry to bother you but I too will have completed my maths A level in year 12 as I'm currently taking my AS in year 11, if you don't mind me asking what did you get and how do universities react? Because I'm concerned that, like you said, they won't count it. Is it even worth it in that case?
Original post by Littleone2000
Sorry to bother you but I too will have completed my maths A level in year 12 as I'm currently taking my AS in year 11, if you don't mind me asking what did you get and how do universities react? Because I'm concerned that, like you said, they won't count it. Is it even worth it in that case?

Depends on the medical school. Assuming Cambridge haven't changed their policy, then yeah if you don't do an A-level over the two years (i.e. sit some sort of exam in it during year 13) then it won't count towards the fulfilment of your offer. However, I highly doubt that they simply ignore it. Maybe they will give you some extra credit for completing it early (maybe even more so in your case, starting it in year 11)? But yeah, it won't count towards your offer - do you not feel that you could meet any potential offer with your other three subjects though?

Anyway, I thought AS was being phased out in the next year or so?
Depends on the medical school. Assuming Cambridge haven't changed their policy, then yeah if you don't do an A-level over the two years (i.e. sit some sort of exam in it during year 13) then it won't count towards the fulfilment of your offer. However, I highly doubt that they simply ignore it. Maybe they will give you some extra credit for completing it early (maybe even more so in your case, starting it in year 11)? But yeah, it won't count towards your offer - do you not feel that you could meet any potential offer with your other three subjects though?

I guess so. But yes, AS is being phased out as with A* to G GCSEs- I'll be in the last year for both. Some subjects such as biology and chemistry are linear but I'm taking them for the full A level anyway, but maths subjects are modular until 2017. It just depends on the subject but I presume all AS levels will be scrapped by 2017 as that year have also got to sit the new GCSEs.

But that is a very good point, despite studying 5 subjects in year 12 I will have only sat A2 maths, AS further maths and AS politics by the time of applying so no science subjects! I guess that just puts more emphasis on BMAT scores and GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending