The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Cambridge medicine

Hi,

I got rejected this year applying to Cambridge medicine. I am aware that literally every medical school in the UK is incredible for medicine but there isn’t a course like the one Cambridge offers (except from Oxford - which is similar - but I don’t want to apply there). I am currently doing a-level biology, chemistry and psychology. At GCSE I achieved 999999887.

I was wondering if I achieve 3A*s in my subjects if I should apply next year (apply 2024 for 2025)

Would I have a chance? (considering I prepare and do well on whatever Cambridge decides to replace the BMAT with)

Thank you in advance for any help, any input on anything I’ve mentioned above would be greatly appreciated and would help me so much :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by p1825
Hi,

I got rejected this year applying to Cambridge medicine. I am aware that literally every medical school in the UK is incredible for medicine but there isn’t a course like the one Cambridge offers (except from Oxford - which is similar - but I don’t want to apply there). I am currently doing a-level biology, chemistry and psychology. At GCSE I achieved 999999887.

I was wondering if I achieve 3A*s in my subjects if I should apply next year (apply 2024 for 2025)

Would I have a chance? (considering I prepare and do well on whatever Cambridge decides to replace the BMAT with)

Thank you in advance for any help, any input on anything I’ve mentioned above would be greatly appreciated and would help me so much :smile:

Hi
Sorry to hear that.
Your GCSEs are definitely good enough. What were your predicted grades when you applied? If they are 3 A* then Presumably it must be your BMAT or personal statement as everything else looks really good. Did you do triple science? Perhaps it is because you study psychology instead of maths or physics. Did cambridge say why they rejected you? If it’s what you really want then you shouldn’t give up. Just like you say though, there are many good medical schools. Getting into any is an amazing achievement. Have you have any other interview offers? Where else have you applied? Also what college was this?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kate.jenkins
Hi
Sorry to hear that.
Your GCSEs are definitely good enough. What were your predicted grades when you applied? If they are 3 A* then Presumably it must be your BMAT or personal statement as everything else looks really good. Did you do triple science? Perhaps it is because you study psychology instead of maths or physics. Did cambridge say why they rejected you? If it’s what you really want then you shouldn’t give up. Just like you say though, there are many good medical schools. Getting into any is an amazing achievement. Have you have any other interview offers? Where else have you applied? Also what college was this?

Hi!

I applied with 2A*s - I am assuming it was this, the fact I don’t do maths and my BMAT which let me down. I did do triple science. No, they didn’t say why they rejected me - on the email they said they aren’t giving feedback at this particular moment in time. This was Trinity Hall.

I haven’t heard back from any other uni yet. I applied to Cambridge, UCL, Leeds and Queen’s Uni Belfast

Thank you for the kind words :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by p1825
Hi,

I’m in the same dilemma as you, though I’m pretty sure it was my BMAT that let me down. I’m planning to see if I do get any other offers. But I’ve been thinking about taking a gap year and reapplying.

If I do, I would definitely start preparing for the UCAT a lot earlier and ensuring that I ace it. I’m also going to make sure I get the best in my a levels so that I can apply confident that if I get an offer, it will be unconditional!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by p1825
Hi,

If you get any other offer this year, take it. Medicine offers are difficult to get and if you reject this year, you might end up with nothing next year and then you've got major issues.

If you don't get any offers this year, then you can try re-applying if you know your preparation is stronger.
Reply 5
Original post by Sarah O
I’m in the same dilemma as you, though I’m pretty sure it was my BMAT that let me down. I’m planning to see if I do get any other offers. But I’ve been thinking about taking a gap year and reapplying.

If I do, I would definitely start preparing for the UCAT a lot earlier and ensuring that I ace it. I’m also going to make sure I get the best in my a levels so that I can apply confident that if I get an offer, it will be unconditional!

This is my exact same thought process. It was so difficult because everything e.g. UCAT, BMAT, mocks and applying all fell around the same time. We shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves and let this rejection define us. It’s difficult because it’s new not because we are incapable. We should try our absolute best on A-levels and reapply if our goal continues to be Cambridge. May I ask what a-level subjects and predicted grades you applied with, your grades at GCSE and your UCAT score (don’t feel obligated to say - I completely understand if you don’t want to share!) :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
If you get any other offer this year, take it. Medicine offers are difficult to get and if you reject this year, you might end up with nothing next year and then you've got major issues.

If you don't get any offers this year, then you can try re-applying if you know your preparation is stronger.

Thank you! I am keeping this in mind!
Reply 7
Original post by p1825
This is my exact same thought process. It was so difficult because everything e.g. UCAT, BMAT, mocks and applying all fell around the same time. We shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves and let this rejection define us. It’s difficult because it’s new not because we are incapable. We should try our absolute best on A-levels and reapply if our goal continues to be Cambridge. May I ask what a-level subjects and predicted grades you applied with, your grades at GCSE and your UCAT score (don’t feel obligated to say - I completely understand if you don’t want to share!) :smile:

I got 9A stars at GCSEs (6 9s, 3 8s), predicted 3A stars in bio chem maths and UCAT I got 2730 band 3 (wish I did better). With medicine you can have amazing grades but it really is all about the pre admissions tests. I flopped the bmat so badly. But I know if I took a gap year and achieve 3A stars then I’d have time to smash the ucat for next year. And also on a gap year you can work, get so much more experience and I feel like it’ll give you a lot of time to make a strong application
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by p1825
Hi,

Do A-Level Maths self study, since you have all A*'s at GCSE, it will not be difficult for you. I recommend Pearson Edexcel, and I can help you with the resources and past exam papers too. 🙂

Cambridge Medicine usually asks for 3 A-Levels from Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and Further Maths as the 4th or 5th A-Level in some cases.

Perhaps consider applying to Girton, St. Catharine's or even Jesus for the college choices.
Original post by p1825
Hi!

I applied with 2A*s - I am assuming it was this, the fact I don’t do maths and my BMAT which let me down. I did do triple science. No, they didn’t say why they rejected me - on the email they said they aren’t giving feedback at this particular moment in time. This was Trinity Hall.

I haven’t heard back from any other uni yet. I applied to Cambridge, UCL, Leeds and Queen’s Uni Belfast

Thank you for the kind words :smile:

I also applied to Queens Belfast! Have you got an interview from them?
Reply 10
Original post by thegeek888
Do A-Level Maths self study, since you have all A*'s at GCSE, it will not be difficult for you. I recommend Pearson Edexcel, and I can help you with the resources and past exam papers too. 🙂

Cambridge Medicine usually asks for 3 A-Levels from Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and Further Maths as the 4th or 5th A-Level in some cases.

Perhaps consider applying to Girton, St. Catharine's or even Jesus for the college choices.

I am unsure whether I would be able to find a centre which would allow me to take Pearson Edexcel so I’ll definitely have to look around. Is AQA any good - that’s the one my current sixth form does - i know the teachers and I don’t think my school would mind keeping me for another year and teaching me the content. Should I start preparation for a level maths now or should I wait until after results day and just focus on my current a levels for now?

Any particular reason you mentioned those colleges, I’m thinking Homerton (though it is far) my school as “links” to it - whatever that means😭
Reply 11
Original post by Sarah O
I got 9A stars at GCSEs (6 9s, 3 8s), predicted 3A stars in bio chem maths and UCAT I got 2730 band 3 (wish I did better). With medicine you can have amazing grades but it really is all about the pre admissions tests. I flopped the bmat so badly. But I know if I took a gap year and achieve 3A stars then I’d have time to smash the ucat for next year. And also on a gap year you can work, get so much more experience and I feel like it’ll give you a lot of time to make a strong application

WOW your application is incredible!!! And you absolutely smashed your UCAT!!! For sure you will get interviews - if you think your UCAT is bad (which it is not) your predicted grades and GCSEs totally “make” up for it. Exactly, next year when a levels are out of the picture we can focus on UCAT and build up an even stronger application
Reply 12
I also applied to Queens Belfast! Have you got an interview from them?

No, I've not heard anything yet. Have you heard back?
Original post by p1825
I am unsure whether I would be able to find a centre which would allow me to take Pearson Edexcel so I’ll definitely have to look around. Is AQA any good - that’s the one my current sixth form does - i know the teachers and I don’t think my school would mind keeping me for another year and teaching me the content. Should I start preparation for a level maths now or should I wait until after results day and just focus on my current a levels for now?

Any particular reason you mentioned those colleges, I’m thinking Homerton (though it is far) my school as “links” to it - whatever that means😭

Pearson Edexcel is the most common exam specification for A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths.

AQA is similar to Edexcel and OCR MEI and OCR A as well. There is a common core for A-Level Maths, ensuring all topics covered are the same.

But if you're self-teaching, then Edexcel is the best with the most resources and also has answers from the examiners to the textbooks. 😉 lol

A-Level Maths helps with Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. There are several YouTube channels with excellent videos of the entire course. 🙂 I would focus on achieving 3 A stars in your current A-Levels and gaining an A or A star next year in A-Level Maths.

They're not as popular and it would be wise to make Homerton your choice, as your teachers know it well as you've said. 😉
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by p1825
No, I've not heard anything yet. Have you heard back?

Yes interview on the 14th. My point score was 39
Reply 15
Pearson Edexcel is the most common exam specification for A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths.

AQA is similar to Edexcel and OCR MEI and OCR A as well. There is a common core for A-Level Maths, ensuring all topics covered are the same.

But if you're self-teaching, then Edexcel is the best with the most resources and also has answers from the examiners to the textbooks. 😉 lol

A-Level Maths helps with Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. There are several YouTube channels with excellent videos of the entire course. 🙂 I would focus on achieving 3 A stars in your current A-Levels and gaining an A or A star next year in A-Level Maths.

They're not as popular and it would be wise to make Homerton your choice, as your teachers know it well as you've said. 😉

Do you think A level maths is necessary? Could I not suffice with 3A*s in biology, chemistry and psychology alone? Maths has never been my strongest subject and was the lowest I had at GCSEs (a 7). I wouldn’t mind doing a fourth a level such as history or politics - I am interested in these and essay based subjects seem to suit me more 🙂 If I was 100% going for Cambridge and wanted another science subject I wouldn't mind taking physics - I am completely aware that those who do maths and physics say that the latter (physics) is way harder - due to the theoretical concepts - but I do not at all have a mathematical brain and A level maths in a year is not even remotely a easy task. Alternatively I could do AS level maths and physics! AHH IM SO CONFLICTED
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 16
Yes interview on the 14th. My point score was 39

CONGRATS!!! I haven’t heard back yet I think my points would be 36. I’m unsure if I calculated it correctly - I have a distinction in health and social care and I don’t know how much this would weigh😭
Original post by p1825
Do you think A level maths is necessary? Could I not suffice with 3A*s in biology, chemistry and psychology alone? Maths has never been my strongest subject and was the lowest I had at GCSEs (a 7). I wouldn’t mind doing a fourth a level such as history or politics - I am interested in these and essay based subjects seem to suit me more 🙂 If I was 100% going for Cambridge and wanted another science subject I wouldn't mind taking physics - I am completely aware that those who do maths and physics say that the latter (physics) is way harder - due to the theoretical concepts - but I do not at all have a mathematical brain and A level maths in a year is not even remotely a easy task. Alternatively I could do AS level maths and physics! AHH IM SO CONFLICTED

Successful applicants took Chemistry, 98% took Mathematics and 97% took Biology for Cambridge Medicine in recent years. So you would be at clear disadvantage if you did not take A-Level Maths I am afraid. ☹️
Reply 18
Successful applicants took Chemistry, 98% took Mathematics and 97% took Biology for Cambridge Medicine in recent years. So you would be at clear disadvantage if you did not take A-Level Maths I am afraid. ☹️

I will definitely look into it, thank you so much! Do you know what percentage of Oxford medics take Bio, Chem and Maths and do you think I’m better off applying there? Oxford doesn’t necessarily require 3 sciences subjects so I might be better applying there. What I like about Cambridge is the pre-clinical and clinical divide which is also what I could get at Oxford (the only drawback is that at Cambridge you can intercalate in a wider range of subjects but I don’t really mind compromising that).
Reply 19

I will definitely look into it, thank you so much! :smile: Do you know what percentage of Oxford medics take Bio, Chem and Maths and do you think I’m better off applying there? Oxford doesn’t necessarily require 3 sciences subjects so I might be better applying there. What I like about Cambridge is the pre-clinical and clinical divide which is also what I could get at Oxford (the only drawback is that at Cambridge you can intercalate in a wider range of subjects but I don’t really mind compromising that).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending