The Student Room Group

Well, ****. I'm getting a mac.

:colonhash:

New job means new hardware and for the first time in 8 years I'm being forced to use a ****ing Mac on a day to day basis.

Can anyone link me to some good resources that will help me not want to defenestrate the thing (or install Parallels and Windows 7 against policy) on my first day.

I'm a power user, so any tips/tricks type things, advanced configuration and using those bloody gestures will help. It'll end up being a Macbook Pro 15", if that makes any difference.

Rep for the most comical (but otherwise helpful) responses.

Scroll to see replies

I switched to OSX recently after almost 10 years each on Windows and Linux, and I got used to it in about a week.

The thing that I still haven't get used to is home/end. On OSX you have to do Ctrl-A and Ctrl-E. Home/End moves to beginning and end of the document instead.

That's the only really annoying thing.

Otherwise everything is nice and logical and you'll pick it up in no time.

99% of the time when installing applications, it's just dragging an icon into Applications, instead of clicking through a million steps. Then drag it on to the dock if you want it on the dock.

There's really not much more to it... oh and Time Machine is awesome. It's basically System Restore done right.

Most things just work, and work the way you would naturally expect it to.
Most keyboard shortcuts are the same, except you have to replace Ctrl by the weird symbol key.

It's surprisingly easy to get used to, and I find myself accidentally doing alt-C alt-V on Windows now... and it's bloody annoying.

Close window is [weird symbol] + W. Close application is [weird symbol] + Q. Most applications can run without any open window, so most people leave many applications open most of the time - almost like on Android.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mad Vlad
:colonhash:

New job means new hardware and for the first time in 8 years I'm being forced to use a ****ing Mac on a day to day basis.

Can anyone link me to some good resources that will help me not want to defenestrate the thing (or install Parallels and Windows 7 against policy) on my first day.

I'm a power user, so any tips/tricks type things, advanced configuration and using those bloody gestures will help. It'll end up being a Macbook Pro 15", if that makes any difference.

Rep for the most comical (but otherwise helpful) responses.

Forget pissing about on OS X. Just install Bootcamp 5.1 and use it to install Windows 8.1. It will partition your SSD so when you start up you can choose OS X or Windows 8.1. Seemlessly switch between them and your work will never know :wink: Once you've got Bootcamp 5.1 get your manual here and follow through. http://www.apple.com/support/country/?dest=manuals Most gestures like two finger scrolling on trackpad, pinch to zoom or shrink and sideswipe are all on W 8.1 anyway and extra drivers from online just add to W 8.1 gestures making it more functional.

Must have Mac software

I highly recommend Seashore, Miro, Quicksilver, Miro video, Omnifocus, Low battery, Doorbell, Spamseive, Xpad, VLC player, Vidalia (definitely this), Parallels, Handbrake, Kismac, the Unarchiever, Wavemaker and Colloquy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Madeline_H95
Forget messing about on OS X it's terrible. just install Bootcamp 5.1 and use it to install Windows 8.1. It will partition your SSD so when you start up you can choose OS X or Windows 8.1. Once you've got Bootcamp 5.1 get your manual here and follow through. http://www.apple.com/support/country/?dest=manuals

Most gestures like two finger scrolling on trackpad, pinch to zoom or shrink and sideswipe are all on W 8.1 anyway and extra drivers from online just add to W 8.1 gestures making it more functional.

I don't think I know anyone who has used both Windows 8 and OSX for extended periods of time (at least several weeks exclusively), and prefer Windows 8 :biggrin:.
Original post by Madeline_H95
X

"against policy"

RIP job.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
I don't think I know anyone who has used both Windows 8 and OSX for extended periods of time (at least several weeks exclusively), and prefer Windows 8 :biggrin:.

Windows 8 was terrible. Windows 8.1 is great and I love it :biggrin: The big one for me is the simple steps in doing everything from a screenshot (one click) to the app idea. I have a touchscreen laptop so that makes it better.

Original post by Roving Fish
"against policy"

RIP job.

That's why I suggested a partition so if they ask you can just switch to OS X quickly :wink: I'll have to edit my answer though :'(
Reply 7
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
I switched to OSX recently after almost 10 years each on Windows and Linux, and I got used to it in about a week.

The thing that I still haven't get used to is home/end. On OSX you have to do Ctrl-A and Ctrl-E. Home/End moves to beginning and end of the document instead.

That's the only really annoying thing.

Otherwise everything is nice and logical and you'll pick it up in no time.

99% of the time when installing applications, it's just dragging an icon into Applications, instead of clicking through a million steps. Then drag it on to the dock if you want it on the dock.

There's really not much more to it... oh and Time Machine is awesome. It's basically System Restore done right.

Most things just work, and work the way you would naturally expect it to.

Hey i bought my MBP like a month ago but haven't set up Time Machine, because i don't know how... any help?
Original post by cem101
Hey i bought my MBP like a month ago but haven't set up Time Machine, because i don't know how... any help?

Settings > Time Machine > Pretty much walks you through it.

I should have set it up when Yosemite came out but couldn't be ****ed to wait all that time.
Reply 9

I should have set it up when Yosemite came out but couldn't be ****ed to wait all that time.

thanks

Yeah that's pretty much it.

I tried to set up something almost exactly like that on Linux, and I did it, but it was a solid 20 hours of work (writing custom scripts, rotation, working out all the hard-linking bugs, setting on cron jobs, etc).

On OSX it's 30 seconds of mouse clicking.

On Windows I don't think it's even possible because NTFS doesn't really support hard linking (it technically does, but Windows doesn't really support it too well).
IMO don't bother installing windows unless you specifically need it for software or games. Don't install it because you're more familiar with it, just adapt :tongue:
I switched to a Macbook Pro 18 months ago and it takes around a week or two to get used to the trackpad and the gestures, but it quickly becomes second nature.

If you go to System Preferences, then Trackpad, you can see all the gestures and select the ones you want (or don't want)

Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Download bettertouchtool http://www.boastr.net its the most useful app I have on my mac. Just the window snapping feature was enough to persuade me.
Reply 14
Cmd > option (alt key) > esc is control alt delete

Oh and turn off natural scrolling
Ctrl is Cmd (command)

Gestures are useful. might be worth changing some of them.
Other than that they're pretty similar.
Ctrl is Cmd (command)

Gestures are useful. might be worth changing some of them.
Other than that they're pretty similar.

The scrolling is reversed like on phones by default but you get used to it after like a week. Switch it back when using a mouse though.
A section leader swearing? Ban please :judge:.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think the OP was just looking for some Mac bashing instead of real advice.

Then he found out that people aren't bashing it because OSX is actually better.

So he ran away :biggrin:.
I am joining the mac family as of Sunday. never used a mac before.

loved windows, will miss it deeply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending