The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Nightowl
Before I begin let me just say I''ll have my internet back up and fully running within the week. :smile:

Has the forum been made deliberately invisible? if so, it needs to be changed, I specifically made Clause 3:

3Calls for This forum to be visible to the Model UN members only

It was made to be a "look but don't touch" forum, much like the SC Voting subforum.

Yes, it's currently only visible/accessible by the 5 HRC members and Apollo himself.

Obviously nobody took notice of that clause but I have no objections of making it visible to everyone anyway. :smile:
Reply 41
Expose the spamfest! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Knogle
Expose the spamfest! :biggrin:

There's not very much going on in there honestly...

...if only there were more human-rights-related resolutions. :wink:
Reply 43
Glad you're implicitly suggesting that Indonesia is doing an excellent job at preserving human rights. :biggrin:
Reply 44
I'm not sure that's really do-able Nightowl, Pig used acsess masks instead of a creating a new user group, so everytime someone joins the MUN I'd have to ask him to add them as well.
:hmmm: The top secret world of the human rights movement. :ninja:

This is becoming increasingly farcical. It was a good idea but its implementation IMO has been a disaster. I doubt this is the way it was envisaged to work and in its current state it certainly adds nothing to the MUN. :frown:
Reply 46
Err how exactly has it been a disaster?!
Apollo
Err how exactly has it been a disaster?!

Maybe "disaster" was a little melodramatic, on the other hand the workings of this council were intended to be public they are now invisible, in fact with the lack of an HRC voting thread this council is even less accountable than the SC. There has been confusion over whether people were elected on the basis of their country or the suitability of the rep. A separate resolution to create a useful resource for the MUN passed with an overwhelming majority has been cancelled because having this HRC forum means we can’t have anymore for the foreseeable future. etc.
Reply 48
Nefarious
Maybe "disaster" was a little melodramatic, on the other hand the workings of this council were intended to be public they are now invisible, in fact with the lack of an HRC voting thread this council is even less accountable than the SC.

The admins didn't want to create anymore usergroups. It was then up to me to decide whether or not I should pursue this, and seeing as it passed through the GA I decided to.

There has been confusion over whether people were elected on the basis of their country or the suitability of the rep.

Yes, and I accept responsibility for that. However the election turn out was good, and people still seemed interested.

A separate resolution to create a useful resource for the MUN passed with an overwhelming majority has been cancelled because having this HRC forum means we can’t have anymore for the foreseeable future. etc.

Indeed, I do feel that that is a fair point. If you want to propose a resolution repealing the HRC feel free, but it would obviously mean the admin will be far more skeptical about creating these sort of things for us in the future.

Basically I do feel bad that this didn't work out exactly how it was planed, but I still think it can work. Feel free to disagree.
Apollo
The admins didn't want to create anymore usergroups. It was then up to me to decide whether or not I should pursue this, and seeing as it passed through the GA I decided to.

I fully respect that decision, Its the one I would probably have made in your position and I am in no way blaming you or the admin for any of this.

Yes, and I accept responsibility for that. However the election turn out was good, and people still seemed interested.

Although we jumped into voting a little to early without really thinking about what we were voting for I see no reason for me (or anyone else) to point the finger here. It isn't as if anyone protested at the time.

Indeed, I do feel that that is a fair point. If you want to propose a resolution repealing the HRC feel free, but it would obviously mean the admin will be far more skeptical about creating these sort of things for us in the future.

Basically I do feel bad that this didn't work out exactly how it was planed, but I still think it can work. Feel free to disagree.

I agree that we should give this more time but I am slightly less optimistic about a positive outcome.
Reply 50
Apologies if I sounded too defensive :redface:
Apollo
Apologies if I sounded too defensive :redface:

Nah it's fine I probably sounded too offensive. I'm not criticising anyone. There have been nothing but good intentions in forming this HRC it’s just IMO it hasn’t worked. I’ll give it time but if a motion to repeal this resolution comes round I’ll be the first to vote aye. :smile:
Reply 52
Any failure I take responsibility for also, it was my resolution afterall :p:

This was always going to be difficult, and I apologise for clause 3 because I was under the impression that it was do-able, if the SG would ask Pig if it was possible it would be great, and if the answer is a definitive no we can come up with some alternative.

Once this forum is up and running it will be great, and I certainly don't think its going the way of the Press release forum, this is hopefully just a bump in the road. Rome wasn't built in a day, or even two weeks :p:
Reply 53
Have asked, can't be made visible to all MUN members without adding another usergroup.

Edit: None of this is your fault, Nightowl. Don't be silly!
Reply 54
TBH, I think the forum is a little pointless if we can't see it... It's more an elitist group than a sub forum.
Not like the SC at all, then...!

I still don't see any real point in the HRC, and I probably won't be very concerned with its activities, but I have no problem with its continued existence if the MUN consensus wants it.
Reply 56
Must admit, the large point of it was that it was an "ascension" forum if you will that we can see, based on the idea that we in the GA would like to see our resolutions go somewhere less secretative when there's no cause for them to be debated secretly.

Just an idea:

How about, we make the existing Security Council public to the Model UN usergroup, but still can't post in it, while making the now HRC a secretative wing of the SC, where discussions on more urgent issues/admin take place (votes of no confidence, a war-declaring resolution, for example) This will essentially allow us the transparency that was meant for the HRC through the SC, while still giving SC members a place to discuss secretly if need be. Above all, little work other than a name change for the HRC forum needed.
Reply 57
Hmmm, would the secretative branch really see that much action?
Apollo
Hmmm, would the secretative brance really see that much action?

No less than the current SC forum has.
Why would the HRC be the place where the most urgent stuff happens, such as, like you say, Resolutions resulting in war? That sounds like Security Council territory to me. The clue's in the name.

Latest

Trending

Trending