The Student Room Group

How to prepare for ab initio language course - textbook? Audio course?

Thinking of applying for French and ab initio Italian at uni, and wondering the best way to prepare. Unfortunately, the local adult learning basic Italian course won't take me as I'm under 18 so I think I'm going to try with the help of a GCSE textbook and a language program e.g. Michel Thomas, Pimsleur, Assimil.
Is one better than the others? And how has anyone else prepared for learning beginner's languages? Any views/ help appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by pamplemousse09
Thinking of applying for French and ab initio Italian at uni, and wondering the best way to prepare. Unfortunately, the local adult learning basic Italian course won't take me as I'm under 18 so I think I'm going to try with the help of a GCSE textbook and a language program e.g. Michel Thomas, Pimsleur, Assimil.
Is one better than the others? And how has anyone else prepared for learning beginner's languages? Any views/ help appreciated :smile:

Hi there!
I am about to start university studying German and ab-initio Italian. I have a pocket phrase book and I'm currently reading/writing from it, just to get the basics.

I also have an old Italian DVD box set by 'Michel Thomas.' I would recommend it if you can somewhere find it online, as you speak after his voice to learn the language in an easier way. I think speaking it is better than writing it down and revising etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending