The Student Room Group

does anyone else think the ice bucket challenge is a load of ****?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ggmu!
Can you make it like a wet t shirt contest ting on tsr

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, why not?! :biggrin:

Haha :lol:
Original post by Ggmu!
Pouring a bucket of water on your head doesn't raise money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what makes it so popular though, it's an interactive and fun(?) way for you and friends to raise money for charity yet it's not too challenging.

No doubt that celebrities also doing the challenge may have influenced a lot of people to copy them, but how many people would have done so if they just stood there and told us to donate to a charity and nominated three other people to do the same?
Original post by Sanctimonious
They can donate without attention seeking. When there is a drought next summer and water rates go up, just remember who caused it. All of these attention seekers do my head in. If you're going to donate then do it. If you're going to spread awareness do it properly. All of these are just straight up attention seekers. Nothing more to it. Anyone can pour a bucket of ice cold water over their head. Its nothing special, in fact its quite therapeutic and we often would have ice baths after football/rugby. I bet most people doing these ice bucket challenges do not study STEM subjects.

So what if they don't study STEM subjects?
It was nice seeing Mark Zuckerberg getting a bucket of ice spilled over him. I think quite a few people watching it must have thought "do that again".
Reply 44
Original post by Elm Tree
That's what makes it so popular though, it's an interactive and fun(?) way for you and friends to raise money for charity yet it's not too challenging.

No doubt that celebrities also doing the challenge may have influenced a lot of people to copy them, but how many people would have done so if they just stood there and told us to donate to a charity and nominated three other people to do the same?

You presume that you have to donate money to pour water on your head.

You don't. You just fill a bucket with water and empty it on your head.

People skip out the donating money part.

Besides it's a massive waste of water. Typical Western, Middle class activism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lold hard at not doing stem subjects
Will rep
When there is a drought next summer and water rates go up, just remember who caused it.

A local DJ had the idea to use rainwater instead: https://www.facebook.com/djkutski
Original post by addylad
A local DJ had the idea to use rainwater instead: https://www.facebook.com/djkutski

They should use urine tbh.
Original post by Ggmu!
You presume that you have to donate money to pour water on your head.

You don't. You just fill a bucket with water and empty it on your head.

People skip out the donating money part.

Besides it's a massive waste of water. Typical Western, Middle class activism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the idea is to donate money after you've done the challenge... don't attack the concept, attack the people.

And it's not a waste, it's raising money for charity
Original post by Gwilym101

I think it existed before ALS used but it's now pretty much theirs. The link I heard was the cold water paralyzes you for a second, to give you a feel for what it's like to have motor neurone disease. No idea if its actually true or not.

Makes sense. Though I had always thought it was because that people without MND would have a normal reflex reaction to cold water while people with MND would feel the coldness but unable to move away. So the idea is to stay in cold water just as those with MND would have to do? My imagination those days :rolleyes:

you think all the chavs (and even some celebs) doing this are actually donating money too?

how can people be so naive...
Reply 51
Well the idea is to donate money after you've done the challenge... don't attack the concept, attack the people.

And it's not a waste, it's raising money for charity

It's a stupid idea, and that says something about the people who buy into it too.

Whilst encouraging water wastage, which in the long term is more detrimental and effects more people around the world.
Original post by arkhamz
I hate social media activism with a passion. All it is is attention whoring and back patting.

Same. Its all narcissism at the end of the day. Pathetic how people get off on this stuff. They're as bad as the celebrities that donate to causes and then have big 'LOOK AT ME' spreads in the newspapers. Do it discreetly and honourably in my opinion. Nobody needs to know you donate. Loads of people have no clue what causes I donate to and that is between me and the causes I donate to. I don't want people to know. Its not for them. Its not for me. Its for the difference it makes. Shame more people think its about increasing their own public image on Facebook etc. than actually the cause in question.

So what if they don't study STEM subjects?

STEM is well known to be the master race. One day you will become a humanised slave of the robot nation of which us STEM graduates will control.

Original post by Ggmu!
I'd be embarrassed to have a friend who even partakes in this childish cry for attention.

Thankfully none of my friends believe in this type of nonsense.

I've removed people participating in it. Nice and easy to separate the narcissistic attention seekers only interested in their public image from the decent people.

Original post by Ggmu!
Tbh most of the people who have done the 'challenge' probably haven't donated to charity and themselves probably don't know what disease or condition this is even about.

That's because the vast majority of the people doing it have the IQ of a spoon.
Reply 53

That's because the vast majority of the people doing it have the IQ of a spoon.

When I look down my newsfeed, it's the same uninformed, ignorant, naive and easily swayed people who've taken part.

Basically, sheep.
I have no problem with those who do it because they genuinely want to help and donate/ecncourage others donate but the amount of people who don't even mention ALS means they're just doing it for trend/likes and comments which I do hae a problem with
Original post by Ggmu!
When I look down my newsfeed, it's the same uninformed, ignorant, naive and easily swayed people who've taken part.

Basically, sheep.

Agreed. +rep.
Original post by DCFCfan4eva
I have no problem with those who do it because they genuinely want to help and donate/ecncourage others donate but the amount of people who don't even mention ALS means they're just doing it for trend/likes and comments which I do hae a problem with

I think a lot of people don't even know what ALS is.

STEM is well known to be the master race. One day you will become a humanised slave of the robot nation of which us STEM graduates will control.

Hopefully not, I plan on studying a STEM subject at uni
Original post by OU Student
I think a lot of people don't even know what ALS is.

Anti Locking System. :ahee:

I'm joking.

Spoiler

Hopefully not, I plan on studying a STEM subject at uni

Welcome to the dark side. :colone:
They can donate without attention seeking. When there is a drought next summer and water rates go up, just remember who caused it. All of these attention seekers do my head in. If you're going to donate then do it. If you're going to spread awareness do it properly. All of these are just straight up attention seekers. Nothing more to it. Anyone can pour a bucket of ice cold water over their head. Its nothing special, in fact its quite therapeutic and we often would have ice baths after football/rugby. I bet most people doing these ice bucket challenges do not study STEM subjects.

But what other method of awareness-raising has been so effective in such a short period of time? Facebook is the single best way of spreading a message globally, bar none. People learn about the disease (most people wouldn't have a clue about ALS otherwise), they raise a lot of money for the charity, and have a bit of a laugh while doing it. I'm not seeing a downside here

Quick Reply

Latest