The Student Room Group

Anyone a clean freak (ie germophobia etc) around here?

I often think about what germaphobes must go through - i have seen some cousins older than me taking care of their kids and overly care on the cleanliness of the house.

My question is - if you stay this "clean" - how do you expect to have a stronger immune system to handle such a thing?

What do you guys think?
Reply 1
No matter how clean you are, germs somehow find a way to get to you.

The immune system is very intricate.
Reply 2
well, thing is, i have seen people who are so careful on being clean, get sick most of the time. And then there are people who simply don't care, and never get sick.

I know its not just one factor, but there seems to be a correlation to it...
I'm a bit of a germophobe. I would never eat or drink after someone (unless it's alcohol which sterilizes it enough for me to be ok with it.) Not even a family/girlfriend/etc. I really can't stand people who don't have decent personal hygiene. It's so easy to do, it just makes me think they're lazy.

I almost never get sick, but I also rarely leave the house and I don't do things that could be compromising to my health (in most cases). I'm not sure if you'd call this germophobia or just common sense.
I used to be a clean freak but lately just dont care. I dont think I gotten sick whilst I stopped caring altho I still wont wanna drink or eat from anothers fork or cup etc because thats just silly.

I read this article talking about chemical invasion which is similar to what your saying, to accept new changes: http://humancure.com/chemicals-everywhere-one-solution/

but theres a difference between accepting environmental changes and being stupid and using used syringes lol
Reply 5
Original post by Unknown Nerd
I'm a bit of a germophobe. I would never eat or drink after someone (unless it's alcohol which sterilizes it enough for me to be ok with it.) Not even a family/girlfriend/etc. I really can't stand people who don't have decent personal hygiene. It's so easy to do, it just makes me think they're lazy.

I almost never get sick, but I also rarely leave the house and I don't do things that could be compromising to my health (in most cases). I'm not sure if you'd call this germophobia or just common sense.

Yeah i agree, sometimes there is a fine line between just being sensible and going crazy over germs. I also wouldn't drink out of others cups or use a fork someone else used - although with a girlfriend its kinda different for me lol.

Original post by tammystuart
I used to be a clean freak but lately just dont care. I dont think I gotten sick whilst I stopped caring altho I still wont wanna drink or eat from anothers fork or cup etc because thats just silly.

I read this article talking about chemical invasion which is similar to what your saying, to accept new changes: http://humancure.com/chemicals-everywhere-one-solution/

but theres a difference between accepting environmental changes and being stupid and using used syringes lol

Yeah i read that article before actually. I like humancure a lot so im a subscriber. but yes i know what you mean, i too stopped caring after caring so much about germs, pollution and god knows what - but i have a friend who even covers her mouth so she doesnt breath in the toxicity of the city in london. I heard some people in China do that because the air is very polluted.
Reply 6
OMG! i am so glad its not just me! I am majorly paranoid about the arrangements re hand sanitiser! It is literally my best friend and i am obsessed with it. just out of interest how many of you have had problems with alcohol gels? I had awful irritation and switched to this stuff http://norinse.co.uk/nilaqua/sanitiser.html and get a big and little each time to top up! can never risk running out! Oh the life of a germaphobe eh?
If you're overly clean your immune system doesn't get a chance to build up a proper immunity to everyday germs, this is why you more often see "clean freaks" getting ill and people who are less careful having better immune systems.
I always use hand sanitizer or wash my hands with soap before eating or cooking because I don't think other people wash their hands enough after going to the loo, sneezing etc.
Weirdly though, I don't have a problem at all with sharing water bottles, forks etc.
Reply 9
How do youvget better from this disorder it is ruining my life. I see germs everywhere and although i was always hygienic i never saw germs everywhere as i do now.

Quick Reply

Latest