The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I work for Claire's.

I wouldn't pay to get it done there.

Nuff said.
DO NOT GET YOUR PIERCING DONE AT CLAIRE'S

Cartilage piercings should not be done with a piercing gun (in fact no piercings should). You are increasing the risk of something going wrong and you will definitely have a longer healing time and more trauma to your ear. Get it done at a reputable piercer who uses a needle and appropriate jewellery. Those studs at Claire's are cheap and not designed to allow for swelling, which is a natural part of the healing process. They are also blunt and rip their way through your ear when they are forced through.
Reply 22
Miss.P
It is up to you, don't let people opinions get to you, it's your decision. Claire's wouldn't be given an ear-piercing license if they were not allowed to pierce cartilages with guns. I can see where some of you are coming from, as body-piercers use needles it’s safer.

It is her choice, but she needs to be aware of the facts. And the facts are that it is stupid to get cartilage pierced with a gun!

And it's lobe piercings that are licensed. Thus, they are not licensed to pierce cartilage with guns
Reply 23
As many other people have said, don't get it done with a gun and certainly not in claires, they sit you in the middle of the shop and do it (well in the claires ive been in), how is that sterile? they also cant sterilise the piercing gun. even other places that do it with a gun its not safe, they pierce the hole with the earring which is too blunt!
i had two gun piercings which took forever to heal and had lumps on which are scar tissue. i also have 5 cartilidge piercings that were done with a needle which were fine and still are. so its well worth paying the extra £5er if that to get it some safer. in my experience its less painful with a needle too.
Juno
It is her choice, but she needs to be aware of the facts. And the facts are that it is stupid to get cartilage pierced with a gun!

And it's lobe piercings that are licensed. Thus, they are not licensed to pierce cartilage with guns

see, that I've never understood. I know one store in our district doesn't pierce cartilage because the borough council explicitly stated lobe only when they authorise gun piercings.

Are other stores just exploiting the ambiguity of other councils?
Reply 25
dogtanian
see, that I've never understood. I know one store in our district doesn't pierce cartilage because the borough council explicitly stated lobe only when they authorise gun piercings.

Are other stores just exploiting the ambiguity of other councils?

There isn't any UK-wide regulation about piercings, apart from lobe piercings. Local councils can set their own regulations, but then that varies. It's not really exploiting it, because the system is failing.

To some extent it is self regulating, as most people wouldn't just trust anyone who came at them waving a needle. But then it creates an unwise trust in piercing guns, which can be bought easily on Ebay. £15 will get you a gun and £100 studs, whereas needles cost a lot more and you need to buy the jewellery seperately.
Reply 26
I really would go to an authorised piercing salon to get it done, someone who does it for a living and knows what theyre doing.

I had my cartilidge done at Claires and it was awful after, in the end I had to take it out, cost me £20 I think, what a waste of money! I should have gone to a proper piercing place I know, but I was desperate to have it done so I just went there. I had nothing but problems with it.
Reply 27
They give you a form to sign saying thaqt the ear piercing has been done to your satisfaction and under clean conditions BEFORE it is done.

Don't sign it - if something goes wrong you don't have a leg to stand on.

While the assistant was waiting for me to read the form she continued serving customers in the 'sterile' surgical gloves.

We walked - I don't know a thing about piercing but I do know when my legal rights are being taken away.
How much does it cost to have the top of ur ear done
I went to Clair's and next to the starter earng their was nose studs in three colours. I'm not sure do they pierce noses their as well,and if they do, how much does it cost.
Original post by NadJul579
I went to Clair's and next to the starter earng their was nose studs in three colours. I'm not sure do they pierce noses their as well,and if they do, how much does it cost.

Don't get pierced at Claire's. Get it done properly by someone who knows what they're doing instead of going to a place that pierces mostly kids who have been taken there by their ignorant mothers in a bid to get more money.

Whenever I hear "piercing" and "Claire's" mentioned in the same sentence, more often than not it's a horror story. They probably still use a piercing gun instead of doing it properly, that should tell you all you need to know.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Don't get pierced at Claire's. Get it done properly by someone who knows what they're doing instead of going to a place that pierces mostly kids who have been taken there by their ignorant mothers in a bid to get more money.

Whenever I hear "piercing" and "Claire's" mentioned in the same sentence, more often than not it's a horror story. They probably still use a piercing gun instead of doing it properly, that should tell you all you need to know.

I agree completely. I would pay a bit more for the peace of mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
I had my ears pierced at Claire's. I have never had a problem with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Might want to check this out :smile:
[video="youtube;Nz3OuUi3o_Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz3OuUi3o_Y[/video]
Reply 34
Do not use a gun!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a high quality (16 or 14g) titanium internally threaded Labret stud from somewhere such as Neometal from a reputable piercer. (I'll help you find one if you're unsure, I go to one of the best body mod artists in Europe... Know my stuff here)

And a helix piercing doesn't hurt at all really. I have 12 piercings... So I have a decent gauge for piercing pain :biggrin:
Original post by Goaded
Do not use a gun!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a high quality (16 or 14g) titanium internally threaded Labret stud from somewhere such as Neometal from a reputable piercer. (I'll help you find one if you're unsure, I go to one of the best body mod artists in Europe... Know my stuff here)

And a helix piercing doesn't hurt at all really. I have 12 piercings... So I have a decent gauge for piercing pain :biggrin:

Oh no, what's so bad about using a gun?:dontknow::frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Frappé
Oh no, what's so bad about using a gun?:dontknow::frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can't be autoclaved, so aren't sterile. (Or really cleaned for that matter... Any blood on there will come into contact with your skin!)
They will use butterfly back earrings which breed bacteria!
They cause blunt force trauma cause they're not very sharp studs in it, and you're pushing it through :frown:

It won't make your ear fold over or any of them horror stories... It's just not good lol
I had my second ear lob piercing done at Claire's and I've had no problems at all since having it done
Which Claire's did you get it done at
did you get that done with a gun?

Latest