The Student Room Group

Resitting AS vs A2 (12&13)

Can I just ask, why are sixth forms more reluctant to let year 13s resit than letting year 12s resit? Is it to do with funding? As I've seen that go around a lot but some say it's still free when up until 19? Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Well I've just finished my AS year for the second time and I've improved significantly (EEE to ACC). I think the reason why they give year 12s another chance is because AS Levels are such a big jump up from GCSE's and a lot of students underestimate them. AS levels are very overwhelming so it seems only fair to be given a second chance. And many people do improve when given that second chance. And yes it is free up until 19.

But why sixth forms are more reluctant to let year 13s resit, I'm not entirely sure. Despite doing well in AS, after getting disappointing A2 results, the college/sixth form might feel that a particular student can't grasp A2 so they are more cautious on each individual case so they don't waste their funding? All comes down to money it seems like :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by Hayles018
Well I've just finished my AS year for the second time and I've improved significantly (EEE to ACC). I think the reason why they give year 12s another chance is because AS Levels are such a big jump up from GCSE's and a lot of students underestimate them. AS levels are very overwhelming so it seems only fair to be given a second chance. And many people do improve when given that second chance. And yes it is free up until 19.

But why sixth forms are more reluctant to let year 13s resit, I'm not entirely sure. Despite doing well in AS, after getting disappointing A2 results, the college/sixth form might feel that a particular student can't grasp A2 so they are more cautious on each individual case so they don't waste their funding? All comes down to money it seems like :frown:

Oh wow, that's some amazing grades- you definitely improve alot! If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you study?
Original post by Hayles018

If it's free what do you mean by funding? (Sorry if this sounds stupid haha) because I'll be paying for the resits etc myself
Also yeah I see that:/ I got CCE...I know I can improve the Cs to at least a B as I was only a few marks off while the E, well I don't know what happened there [biology] I know the work etc and did okay in class just massive failure at results day :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by anwarpwnsall
If it's free what do you mean by funding? (Sorry if this sounds stupid haha) because I'll be paying for the resits etc myself
Also yeah I see that:/ I got CCE...I know I can improve the Cs to at least a B as I was only a few marks off while the E, well I don't know what happened there [biology] I know the work etc and did okay in class just massive failure at results day :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries! If you're paying for the resits, that's fine! What I mean by funding is the actual tuition you receive by your tutors, that's what costs the government but up until 19 that's free, after that it's around 3k a year, something you don't want to do if you plan on going to uni too! But if you didn't plan on being in the classroom for the next year and revising on your own with perhaps the aid of private tutors, then the question of funding shouldn't be an issue.

Ahh bad luck! :frown: sometimes all it takes is a bad exam season which I personally hate because our intelligence shouldn't be measured by exams, it's not accurate. Unfortunately, it's just a learning experience.
Reply 5
Original post by JAHLee
Oh wow, that's some amazing grades- you definitely improve alot! If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you study?

Thank you very much! :biggrin: That's all what counts for me, improvement! And English Language, English Literature and History :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending