The Student Room Group

Should I spend my £300 i saved in summer on a full year gym membership

Or something else, though i do want to get fit, its going to take away nearly all i've earnt this holiday, so what do i do??

Scroll to see replies

Isn't it better to save it? Couldn't you trick your parents into paying the gym membership? :teehee:
Reply 2
Original post by Zeroic
Or something else, though i do want to get fit, its going to take away nearly all i've earnt this holiday, so what do i do??

Why don't you join a discount gym with no contract (for like £15 a month) and then you can leave whenever you want. I wouldn't do it if I were you.
Reply 3
Or why don't you try and do exercises at home?
Join a sports team and they usually have fitness sessions alongside their training ones. Meet new people, learn a sport, and its usually cheaper than £150. Running is a good form of cardio as well that can be done outside, and most swimming pools have student deals on. I would maybe wait until you get there and are settled and see if you will actually use it and if it will be beneficial. Loads of people sign up to the early bird deals in the hope of saving money, but then hardly ever use it.
Reply 5
Original post by ldsbabe
Why don't you join a discount gym with no contract (for like £15 a month) and then you can leave whenever you want. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Im 15 lol
Reply 6
Mate I see where you are coming from. Essentially you wanna pay that huge sum of money thinking it will force you to go to the gym as you don't want it to be wasted. DO NOT DO THIS it will not force you to get fit and there are 2 main reasons why.

1) You have to want to work out to make any progress. If you really want to get fit, stop procrastinating and start working out right now... Like right now
2) You'll be angry with yourself on your off days and will regret spending that money. Or, your performance in the gym will not be any good as you aren't really motivated.

I was like you, I considered buying a gym membership but instead, one day I just got off my arse and started doing home workouts. Just make sure you do it for about 2 weeks then it will become habit. One thing that put me off loads before I started is that previously when I had worked out I was extremely sore the next day and to prevent this you need to thoroughly warm up before and thoroughly warm down after. I have also been drinking 2 litres of water a day ever since I started working out so maybe this is a helping factor but I feel almost no ache the day after working out, I only really feel it when I have to lift something or stretch I am not aching 24/7 like even when im sitting down watching TV.

START NOW, good luck :P
Reply 7
Cheers man but i want to ve strong and fit as possible to, wont home workouts limit that. what kind of home workouts do you do by the way??
Reply 8
Original post by Zeroic
Cheers man but i want to ve strong and fit as possible to, wont home workouts limit that. what kind of home workouts do you do by the way??

Home workouts don't really limit anything. The only benefit of going gym is that they already have every type of weight ready for you as they have loads of equipment while at home I have to adjust the weights myself. Also the gym machines just make sure you get a full range of motion they aren't more effective. If you do your exercise properly then you won't be needing a machine to tell you that you've done a full range of motion. When you do home workouts you don't have to arrange to travel every time and you can do it whenever you want, not to mention you don't need to travel.

I do pushups with these Muscle-Pro rotational push up things and then I do bicep curls and after that I do dips using a chair. I do 2 sets of each.

I'll be doing jogging soon on the days I'm not doing the above, just to build leg strength and maybe get a six pack. I am not a fan of sit ups they ache way too much the next day. I know people don't always get six packs by running but I really don't want to do sit ups
That's a complete rip off. If you follow a proper program you'll only be in the gym 3 days out of the week.
Get a home gym. You'll need is 150kg of weight, a barbell, a squat rack and a bench. Build these yourself or buy them used.
Some of the stuff said on this thread... :colone:

It's unlikely you'll be able to get a decent home gym for less than £1000.
Go to an actual gym.
Reply 11
But tbh i do need the money for clothes etc
If you're going there to do cardio, don't bother. You can save your £300 and do that at home. If you're going there to use equipment for strength training which you can't afford/don't have the space for, then go for it, but make sure you properly look into strength training. Judging by my own experience of getting fit/losing weight at home, £300 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on the gym unless you're strength training.
No,,Gym memberships are one of the biggest cons going. Want to get fit? heres news, its free of charge. Go jogging, get your bike out,swim somewhere,,use your local authority gym,get a second hand cross trainer off ebay,,,garages up and down the land are full of them going cheap.
Original post by h3isenberg
Some of the stuff said on this thread... :colone:

It's unlikely you'll be able to get a decent home gym for less than £1000.
Go to an actual gym.

this, op if you're serious about getting muscular/strong then you need to be doing heavy barbell compounds, which you'll only find at a gym, fannying around at home with bodyweight exercises or 2kg pink dumbells like a middle aged woman will be a waste of time
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Limpopo
No,,Gym memberships are one of the biggest cons going. Want to get fit? heres news, its free of charge. Go jogging, get your bike out,swim somewhere,,use your local authority gym,get a second hand cross trainer off ebay,,,garages up and down the land are full of them going cheap.

Hey, wait a second.. will any of this get him big? no.

If you want to lift, you need a gym so find the cheapest one round you as you're only 15 atm so don't need to worry about anything else, unless of course you have to pay things yourself
Original post by Zeroic

Nope you don't need to spend so much to get into shape. It all depends in what you want from exercising.
If you just want to get fit and build strength and not bodybuild - then I recommend doing cardio and calisthenics/bodyweight exercises. These are extremely effective and help to build strength as well as stamina and endurance. Try these for a few months until you have enough to comfortably spend on weights.
You can find programmes online such as NHS couch to 5k + freeletics, not very costly and are effective as long as you remain determined to giving it your best.

Now if you want to bodybuild then weights are essential, you can get weights as well as a bench for around £200-300. You can do plenty of exercises at home using weights that would be just as effective as working out at a gym. This can work quite better than a gym membership as you don't have to sign up to a contract and workout whenever you want without having to travel. Obviously you can get a month-by month gym membership, but still you would gave to travel there and this can be quite annoying especially during the winter months.
You can find 12 week programmes online that are tailored for beginners, this can be easier than having to create your own routine.

The most important part for either choice is diet. Your diet will mostly affect your progress, so make sure you eat well and drink plenty of water (not too much).
Reply 17
Original post by getfunky!
Nope you don't need to spend so much to get into shape. It all depends in what you want from exercising.
If you just want to get fit and build strength and not bodybuild - then I recommend doing cardio and calisthenics/bodyweight exercises. These are extremely effective and help to build strength as well as stamina and endurance. Try these for a few months until you have enough to comfortably spend on weights.
You can find programmes online such as NHS couch to 5k + freeletics, not very costly and are effective as long as you remain determined to giving it your best.

Now if you want to bodybuild then weights are essential, you can get weights as well as a bench for around £200-300. You can do plenty of exercises at home using weights that would be just as effective as working out at a gym. This can work quite better than a gym membership as you don't have to sign up to a contract and workout whenever you want without having to travel. Obviously you can get a month-by month gym membership, but still you would gave to travel there and this can be quite annoying especially during the winter months.
You can find 12 week programmes online that are tailored for beginners, this can be easier than having to create your own routine.

The most important part for either choice is diet. Your diet will mostly affect your progress, so make sure you eat well and drink plenty of water (not too much).

i might start calistehnics and cardio then, but i'll be skinny then, i want quite a size to
Original post by Joshale
Hey, wait a second.. will any of this get him big? no.

If you want to lift, you need a gym so find the cheapest one round you as you're only 15 atm so don't need to worry about anything else, unless of course you have to pay things yourself

I'm not really sure i understand the value of "lifting". Surely all one needs is a good level of general and aerobic fitness to carry out your day to day duties and maintain good cardiovascular fitness?

Speaking for myself, i have never "lifted" anything like weights in my life. Im 6ft weigh 82Kg,have a reasonably toned body( no visible flab),my resting BP is usually around 118/60 and 55-60 bpm.

Whats the point in lifting?
Original post by Limpopo
I'm not really sure i understand the value of "lifting". Surely all one needs is a good level of general and aerobic fitness to carry out your day to day duties and maintain good cardiovascular fitness?

Speaking for myself, i have never "lifted" anything like weights in my life. Im 6ft weigh 82Kg,have a reasonably toned body( no visible flab),my resting BP is usually around 118/60 and 55-60 bpm.

Whats the point in lifting?

Many people lift for different reasons, these include: Self-confidence, balance it out (e.g. if not over 6ft want to become muscular to not care about that) for there own ambitions of wanting it, the pride and dedication to become properly big, to show-off, to go into competitions, and some even need it for there jobs (e.g. bouncers, Royal Marines) and sports such as Rugby and American football, etc

lot's of reasons, I lift because I want to get as big as I can, I like the feeling when I'm doing it over than cardio because I cannot stand cardio. I also like to look big, not just for the admire's (although, admittedly this is an influence) I like to do it for my self.

Quick Reply

Latest