The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering or Dentistry?

Hello everyone. I've done well in my AS levels and recieved 4 A's in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and RE. I can't decide between these two courses so i have a few questions. I enjoy pretty much all my subjects - Biology and Maths mostly.
Which one has a higher demand and what am i more more likely to get a job in.?
There's alot of different types of Engineering which one can you guys recommend for me?
Also which one has higher pay? - Alot have said they're similar but some have said dentistry is higher.
Original post by Ferix
Hello everyone. I've done well in my AS levels and recieved 4 A's in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and RE. I can't decide between these two courses so i have a few questions. I enjoy pretty much all my subjects - Biology and Maths mostly.
There's alot of different types of Engineering which one can you guys recommend for me?
Also which one has higher pay? - Alot have said they're similar but some have said dentistry is higher.

Dentistry is more pay if you go private, you could be earning up to 300k a year. Then again, Dentistry is the most competitive course in the UK, so earning a place is not easy.
Original post by Ferix

I know people who study both Dentistry and Chemical engineering. Both are demanding courses with good career prospects. The dentists often joke that the Chem Eng will earn a lot more, because dentists no longer earn as much as they used to.
Given that you are posting in the Dentistry thread and are interested in pay etc, you need to get a balanced view. On the one hand, the number of dentists graduating every year is controlled so you should get a training contract and job and earn a reasonable salary. On the other hand I think you should also check out this thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2018235

From the way you have worded your post it seems that pay and job prospects are important to you....... in my view it is far far more important that you are happy in your chosen course and career. It is therefore really important that you fully explore both through work experience and research. You have just done your AS levels -are you applying for 2015 entry or taking a gap year? If you are applying for dentistry - to be competitive you need to have at least 2 weeks work experience (preferably more in a variety of settings), volunteering, UKCAT (for majority of dental schools) and demonstrate manual dexterity/enjoy working with your hands. If you have already ticked the "dentistry boxes" and are passionate about it then apply! If unsure I would apply for 2016 entry and use the next year to go to as many open days as possible to explore both courses/get work experience/go on taster courses etc.
Reply 3
Original post by lois griffin
I know people who study both Dentistry and Chemical engineering. Both are demanding courses with good career prospects. The dentists often joke that the Chem Eng will earn a lot more, because dentists no longer earn as much as they used to.
Given that you are posting in the Dentistry thread and are interested in pay etc, you need to get a balanced view. On the one hand, the number of dentists graduating every year is controlled so you should get a training contract and job and earn a reasonable salary. On the other hand I think you should also check out this thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2018235

From the way you have worded your post it seems that pay and job prospects are important to you....... in my view it is far far more important that you are happy in your chosen course and career. It is therefore really important that you fully explore both through work experience and research. You have just done your AS levels -are you applying for 2015 entry or taking a gap year? If you are applying for dentistry - to be competitive you need to have at least 2 weeks work experience (preferably more in a variety of settings), volunteering, UKCAT (for majority of dental schools) and demonstrate manual dexterity/enjoy working with your hands. If you have already ticked the "dentistry boxes" and are passionate about it then apply! If unsure I would apply for 2016 entry and use the next year to go to as many open days as possible to explore both courses/get work experience/go on taster courses etc.

Wow! Thanks for the detailed reply. The link was interesting and kinda scary :0. Didn't actually realize it was that hard. After reading this and doing more research about the two courses, I think it's more important to choose which one I'll enjoy. Like you said, both are good so I don't mind doing either but i enjoyed Maths quite alot in AS so i may go towards Chemical Engineering. Again, thanks for the reply :smile:.
Reply 4
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Dentistry is more pay if you go private, you could be earning up to 300k a year. Then again, Dentistry is the most competitive course in the UK, so earning a place is not easy.

Yeah, I was torn between these two subjects but after doing research and looking at Lois Griffin's response I think I might do Chemical Engineering though i still haven't fully decided yet.
Dentistry is higher pay, and easier to get a job in. Getting into dental school (and getting through it) is the hard part tbh.
Original post by Ferix
Wow! Thanks for the detailed reply. The link was interesting and kinda scary :0. Didn't actually realize it was that hard. After reading this and doing more research about the two courses, I think it's more important to choose which one I'll enjoy. Like you said, both are good so I don't mind doing either but i enjoyed Maths quite alot in AS so i may go towards Chemical Engineering. Again, thanks for the reply :smile:.

Original post by bertstare
Dentistry is higher pay, and easier to get a job in. Getting into dental school (and getting through it) is the hard part tbh.

Hi
I didn't mean to put the OP off Dentistry! Dentistry is a rewarding career both for job satisfaction and remuneration. However, I wanted to give a balanced view and I do know well paid engineers who love their job.
Totally agree with Bertstare that getting into dental school is much harder than other courses.
If you are leaning towards chemical engineering then at least you will have the opportunity of going to quite a few October visit days before submitting your application to UCAS. The one thing the 2 courses have in common are that they are challenging, have lots of contact hours and early starts!
I think you need physics for engineering, and I assume f. maths would be highly recommended as well...
Reply 8
Original post by lois griffin
Hi
I didn't mean to put the OP off Dentistry! Dentistry is a rewarding career both for job satisfaction and remuneration. However, I wanted to give a balanced view and I do know well paid engineers who love their job.
Totally agree with Bertstare that getting into dental school is much harder than other courses.
If you are leaning towards chemical engineering then at least you will have the opportunity of going to quite a few October visit days before submitting your application to UCAS. The one thing the 2 courses have in common are that they are challenging, have lots of contact hours and early starts!

Lol dw, sorry if I made you think You were the only person to put me off entirely :biggrin:. I think after Alot of researching the past week, Chemical Engineering is the better course for me. I think I'll enjoy it more. Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lilixxx1000
I think you need physics for engineering, and I assume f. maths would be highly recommended as well...

Physics isn't actually required but apparentlly it will help alot because of the Math content. Further Maths will help as well but Pure Maths is enough with M1 module i think.

Quick Reply

Latest