The Student Room Group

The end of capitalism

Hardtalk right now is covering a story about the end of capitalism and suggesting that the world will soon become moneyless any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Yes it also ended in 1848.
Original post by Aph
Hardtalk right now is covering a story about the end of capitalism and suggesting that the world will soon become moneyless any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nonsense. Capitalism is the natural order of life. The strong get the best, the weakest the rest. Unlike every religion and left-wing social ideology, capitalism is not a construct but a naturally occurring form of existence. It is not man-made.
Reply 3
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Nonsense. Capitalism is the natural order of life. The strong get the best, the weakest the rest. Unlike every religion and left-wing social ideology, capitalism is not a construct but a naturally occurring form of existence. It is not man-made.

I want money to go. So way to be the voice of doom

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
I want money to go. So way to be the voice of doom

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what replaces money? Bartering? So one iPhone for 3 months worth of food which can then be traded for what money could have bought in the first place? Communism will fail. Shariah will fail. All the man-made ideologies will fail. Capitalism, the ideology of the animals will live on.
Reply 5
Original post by TheAnusFiles
So what replaces money? Bartering? So one iPhone for 3 months worth of food which can then be traded for what money could have bought in the first place? Communism will fail. Shariah will fail. All the man-made ideologies will fail. Capitalism, the ideology of the animals will live on.

Nothing replaces money people just do everything to help one another. It will be the first step towards the utopian society we all want

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
Nothing replaces money people just do everything to help one another. It will be the first step towards the utopian society we all want

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't imagine anything worse than living under communism. I can't stand the system we have now either. A market economy needs to stay though.
Reply 7
Original post by CurlyBlackHairs
I can't imagine anything worse than living under communism. I can't stand the system we have now either. A market economy needs to stay though.

It's not communism thought. Its not forced its a natural cultural shift. And you can still be a success

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it's complete nonsense. Money is the logical solution to the need of having a standardised trading system. Trading will always be necessary as long as resources are scarce. Since our resources are only getting more scarce, it simply follows that we will not be moneyless any time soon.
If the extended order, what you call capitalism, collapses then it will create perhaps the greatest human catastrophe ever seen. Private property, the price system, division of labour, specialization, industrialization, and free trade are the very foundation of our civilization.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Suetonius
If the extended order, what you call capitalism, collapses then it will create perhaps the greatest human catastrophe ever seen. Private property, prices, division of labor, specialization and trade are the very foundation of our civilization.

We're not talking about a sudden shift we're talking about a generational one. I don't understand why everyone on here worships capitalism. It would surely only be a good thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
We're not talking about a sudden shift we're talking about a generational one. I don't understand why everyone on here worships capitalism. It would surely only be a good thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

"It would surely only be a good thing". How so? I'm confused as to just what you're proposing will replace capitalism. Under the current system, the vast majority of people in the UK have at least a satisfactory standard of living.
Original post by Aph

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't matter whether this shift is "sudden" or "generational". What you're proposing is quite literally suicide. There are over 7 billion people living on the planet, and only the price signals generated by the market can allow such a massive global population to sustain itself by making use of the widely dispersed knowledge that exists between this multitude of individuals.
(edited 9 years ago)
The core of capitalism in some regard has always existed.... even under barter systems.

The modern idea of capitalism is really no different to what came before it.
Reply 14
Original post by Unkempt_One
"It would surely only be a good thing". How so? I'm confused as to just what you're proposing will replace capitalism. Under the current system, the vast majority of people in the UK have at least a satisfactory standard of living.

Homelessness is on the rise abot 200,000 people applied for homeless help in 2010. Its not sn unfair estimate to say that there are maybe 2 million homeless in the uk. Then 4.8 million earn less then the living wage. 9.6 million families rely on benefits for more then hslf their income. Thats hardly the vast majority are fine. There aren't jobs wich a moneyless economy could produce. The replacement would be a society where everyone helps eachother as we're stronger together

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Suetonius
It doesn't matter whether this shift is "sudden" or "generational". What you're proposing is quite literally suicide. There are over 7 billion people living on the planet, and only the price signals generated by the market can allow such a massive global population to sustain itself by making use of the widely dispersed knowledge that exists between this multitude of individuals.

But money is fundamentally entropic. It cannot sustain its self

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
But money is fundamentally entropic. It cannot sustain its self

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. I didn't mention money once in my post. I also only referred to a population being able to sustain itself.
capitalism doesn't die - it only dies along with the sense of individual human value/worth. take away capitalism and human beings are expendable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aph
Homelessness is on the rise abot 200,000 people applied for homeless help in 2010. Its not sn unfair estimate to say that there are maybe 2 million homeless in the uk. Then 4.8 million earn less then the living wage. 9.6 million families rely on benefits for more then hslf their income. Thats hardly the vast majority are fine. There aren't jobs wich a moneyless economy could produce. The replacement would be a society where everyone helps eachother as we're stronger together

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is an unfair estimate actually. The precise line from the document (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/336048/Homelessness_prevention_and_Relief_England_201314_updated.pdf) is "In 2013/14, a total of 227,800 cases of homelessness
prevention or relief are estimated to have taken place outside
the statutory homelessness framework in England. Of these
cases, 209,300 (92 per cent) were preventions and 18,500 (8 per
cent) were cases of relief". So in fact the actual number of homeless is likely in the tens of thousands, maybe 0.1% or less of the population. The living wage statistic is more indicative of problems, but that's going to be covered at least in part by the benefits system. The fact that "9.6 million families rely on benefits for more then hslf their income." is much less indicative of anything as it doesn't say what their incomes are topped up to. For instance, my family fits into this category and our standard of living is vastly more than acceptable. At the end of the day, your statistics leave 50 million people, who in the absence of contrary evidence are living to a satisfactory standard. "The replacement would be a society where everyone helps eachother as we're stronger together" is just *******s and doesn't at all explain what system you're thinking of. Actually you haven't thought that far ahead have you? Nevermind then.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aph

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem with idealists is that their ideas only work when vague. The more specific you become, the more ridiculous. Tell me, what would this society look like? How would we help each other? How would we become 'stronger together'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending