The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Faboba
Wait... what the hell did the parents say?

No idea! It was an extremely respectable, very strict Catholic girls school: he resigned spinning the story he was moving to the Middle-East. She left, and they got married straight away. Last I heard, they were happy in suburbia with a baby :rolleyes:

Yes lucky for you Helenia :smile:
Bro
Was just chatting with a friend, he said a lot of the land economy lecturers are gay, is this true? don't get me wrong, i have nothing against gay/les/bi, just out of curiosity, would a place like as 'old' & 'traditional' as cambridge (but again famous for her gay alumi) allow such things if they knew the person was gay before they employed them?

Very much so, there will be a fair share of bummer teachers. From my experience though they are better teaches as they care more about their jobs. Just a observation, whether it is true or not I don't know.

As for your 'traditional' point, that is rubbish. Many important people especially in the past have been closet bummers. Infact, in the ancient world it was the done thing to have a homosexual partner as your 'true love' in life, women in the most were there to produce babies and look after the house.
Faboba

Seriously, if you're aiming either that much higher or that much lower

Who is to say he/she was aiming? Maybe it just happened. Chemisty, you know.

Sometimes I get crushes on some really old people and when they pass I'd think to myself 'damn, what was I thinking, she was really old?'.

It might not be contrived. I would imagine that a fair few tutors fall in love with their students but are too hung up on ethics or 'morals' to persue them (rightfully so, unless of course it is evident the feelings are reciprocated!!). I think if I were a single tutor living in a university town like Cambridge (unable to have a vibrant and normal social life??), and I were around so many young intelligent sparks, I might just find myself developing some feelings for them........

Just a thought......no doubt someone here will think a rather perverse one.
Joey_Johns
Very much so, there will be a fair share of bummer teachers. From my experience though they are better teaches as they care more about their jobs. Just a observation, whether it is true or not I don't know.

You know, you have a point. Homosexuals, in general, tend to do better in their careers because often they do not have a family 'tieing them down'. My tutor is a homosexual (albeit a closetted one), and he has so much time for his students, more so than his heterosexual collegues. While his collegues rush home to the kids, he often offers his personal time to students.

I think you have a very good point.
Reply 24
MentallyIll
Who is to say he/she was aiming? Maybe it just happened. Chemisty, you know.

Sometimes I get crushes on some really old people and when they pass I'd think to myself 'damn, what was I thinking, she was really old?'.

It might not be contrived. I would imagine that a fair few tutors fall in love with their students but are too hung up on ethics or 'morals' to persue them (rightfully so, unless of course it is evident the feelings are reciprocated!!). I think if I were a single tutor living in a university town like Cambridge (unable to have a vibrant and normal social life??), and I were around so many young intelligent sparks, I might just find myself developing some feelings for them........

Just a thought......no doubt someone here will think a rather perverse one.

I can't help but feel you're over romanticising the situation.

If the argument ( I wasn't in control of myself, I was 'in love' which somehow robbed me of whatever free will I can use to influence proceedings which have me as a contributing factor ) then what is to stop a teacher using it to justify an affair with a sixteen year old? A fourteen year old? A twelve year old?!?!

I appreciate what you're saying but to my mind saying that it wasn't a decision informed by rational thought makes it worse, not better. Adults are expected to be able to control their emotions.
Faboba
I can't help but feel you're over romanticising the situation.

If the argument ( I wasn't in control of myself, I was 'in love' which somehow robbed me of whatever free will I can use to influence proceedings which have me as a contributing factor ) then what is to stop a teacher using it to justify an affair with a sixteen year old? A fourteen year old? A twelve year old?!?!

Adults are expected to be able to control their emotions.

What is to stop a teacher justifying an affair with a minor should not need explaning! :P Generally, teachers (or any other adults) should not be falling in love with fourteen and ten year olds!

Indeed, adults are expected to control their emotions, but why should they if they are not doing anything illegal or immoral?
Reply 26
MentallyIll
What is to stop a teacher justifying an affair with a minor should not need explaning! :P Generally, teachers (or any other adults) should not be falling in love with fourteen and ten year olds!

Indeed, adults are expected to control their emotions, but why should they if they are not doing anything illegal or immoral?

Consider me making Marge-style disapproving humming noises... but I certainly can't argue with you other than to say that the law does not necessarily determine wrong and right. Personally I don't think it's right ( unless we're talking about a teacher that is something like 23/24 where the age difference is slight ) but I can't convincingly argue that in this instance my judgement is better than theirs.... so.

Latest

Trending

Trending