The Student Room Group

Part-time PhD – good idea?

Hi all!

I am a current Mst student and I am interested in pursuing a part-time PhD at KCL starting September 2024.

It would be a self-funded humanities PhD so the work (and money) is very necessary!

Only thing is, I can't make up my mind on whether this is a good idea or not :s-smilie:. While I have worked throughout both my degrees so far, these have always been full-time degrees and I'm torn on how different the FT/PT experience is and how that will impact my research.

I was wondering if anyone who is currently doing (or previously done) a part-time humanities PhD has any advice, or if there's any major pros/cons I should be considering here?

For context I am interested in a future career in academia.
@The_Lonely_Goatherd is doing a part-time humanities PhD and might be able to offer some insight into it :smile:
Hiya,

I guess it depends on your reasons for doing a self-funded part-time PhD, and what exactly your proposed topic is? My impression is (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that, if you're planning on going into academia afterwards, doing a funded PhD would make for a more competitive postdoc/job application following the PhD.

I tried going for funding but ultimately wasn't successful as I wasn't a competitive candidate (with a 2.2. undergrad and a Merit at MA level). I'm not planning on going into academia. For me, the PhD is more of an expensive hobby/something to keep me occupied whilst I deal with my mental health issues.

In terms of part-time v. full-time, I started full-time but quickly had to go part-time, due to my mental health issues. I've loved being part-time. My project is ethnographic, so involved doing fieldwork. Being part-time meant I could pace myself and gather loads more data than full-time would have permitted. So personally, I much preferred being part-time! That said, it's a long time to be dedicated to just one topic, so you need to really pick a topic that you're super-enthusiastic about and believe in :yep:
Reply 3
Too many variables to generalize. Saying you want to be an academic is one thing - are you aiming for the top of academia? Because tenured professors almost invariably have a PhD or are obviously exceptional talents in their field with general acknowledgement from other experts about the quality of their publications being at PhD level or above. A lot of lecturers and senior lecturers might only have masters degrees (one or more). Then you throw in other variables like whether work is going to be full/part time and whether you have a family to raise already? Personal circumstances? It all depends 😀
Original post by AriTem
Too many variables to generalize. Saying you want to be an academic is one thing - are you aiming for the top of academia? Because tenured professors almost invariably have a PhD or are obviously exceptional talents in their field with general acknowledgement from other experts about the quality of their publications being at PhD level or above. A lot of lecturers and senior lecturers might only have masters degrees (one or more). Then you throw in other variables like whether work is going to be full/part time and whether you have a family to raise already? Personal circumstances? It all depends 😀

This isn't accurate at all really as far as I am aware?

To be a lecturer in the UK you realistically need a PhD now. It would be very unusual in most fields to only have a masters these days - outside of teaching only positions in e.g. languages, or perhaps in creative/performing arts areas if they are teaching the "production" side rather than theory side of things. For most general academic fields at a uni in the UK a PhD would be the standard expectation I believe. The exception would be current PhD students contributing to teaching, which isn't uncommon.

Also tenure doesn't exist really in the UK to my knowledge. There are permanent academic positions (e.g. permanent chairs/professorships etc) but these are very rare and it's more typical I think for academics to work on rolling fixed term contracts and often having to move to follow when its not picked up.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
This isn't accurate at all really as far as I am aware?

To be a lecturer in the UK you realistically need a PhD now. It would be very unusual in most fields to only have a masters these days - outside of teaching only positions in e.g. languages, or perhaps in creative/performing arts areas if they are teaching the "production" side rather than theory side of things. For most general academic fields at a uni in the UK a PhD would be the standard expectation I believe. The exception would be current PhD students contributing to teaching, which isn't uncommon.

Also tenure doesn't exist really in the UK to my knowledge. There are permanent academic positions (e.g. permanent chairs/professorships etc) but these are very rare and it's more typical I think for academics to work on rolling fixed term contracts and often having to move to follow when its not picked up.
Nah I still know a fair few lecturers who only have masters. I am not aware of the very latest appointments but certainly from my classmates 20 years ago that was the case.

When I say tenured I mean for life as in permanent. Again I am not up to date with what is happening now but I know there was "competition" amongst my year as to who would make first prof for life.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by AriTem
Nah I still know a fair few lecturers who only have masters. I am not aware of the very latest appointments but certainly from my classmates 20 years ago that was the case.

When I say tenured I mean for life as in permanent. Again I am not up to date with what is happening now but I know there was "competition" amongst my year as to who would make first prof for life.

I think the entire scope of the HE sector has changed considerably in the last 20 years by any account. Like I said, I don't think this is an accurate reflection of the current state of the HE sector, at least in the UK.

I think it would be misleading to suggest to current students that they will be able to get an academic position without a PhD now, outside of a few specific areas as noted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending